Author Topic: Intercooler/ cooling questions (Kinda long)  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Intercooler/ cooling questions (Kinda long)
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
Greetings:

I have some questions on cooling and intercoolers. Ok so I have a intercooler that I installed and works great, but I have some questions, so if you could help please do.
I run separate tanks, one for the engine, one for the intercooler. I have a cylinder head probe already installed.

1. Do you run a temp unit to measure the actual temp of the water in the tank(s), or do you just stick your hand in there and say yup its cool, warm, etc? I also know to install ice to cool it down, but do you hope to get it to an actual temp, or just as cold as possible?

2. Speaking of the intercooler, do you measure the air temp prior to entering the intercooler, and then also measure the air temp exiting the intercooler? Is that overkill?

If you do monitor this, is the data of value, or does it become to cumbersome?

TIA, I appreciate it.
Clay

Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Intercooler/ cooling questions (Kinda long)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »
Clay,,  You are answering your own questions  if you want to know how you got there ie  (IAT inlet air temp)   you have to know it all--maybe not all the time but to have repeatability  you have to know it all
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline redhotracing

Re: Intercooler/ cooling questions (Kinda long)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »
Checking PSI and IAT before and after the intercooler will not only give you an idea of your
IC's efficiency in cooling but also on how much pressure drop occurs. We found fairly steady
~70* IAT's post IC with only a ~2 PSi drop on a cheapy frozenboost.com unit. That's a $150
piece making a 180* turn within the engine compartment. Not too shabby. Gave us permission
to crank up the boost a bit while maintaining the same ice/H20 mixture in our tank.

NOTE: This was done as dyno-only data; we don't have the fancy electronics or data system
to monitor all of this at the track, nor do I have time to look at IAT's while running the car. It
is a helpful tuning tool, but could definitely be overkill unless you have data acquisition.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)