Author Topic: Speedweekend on Ice 2015  (Read 67718 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Speedweekend on Ice 2015
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 10:13:33 PM »
Any problems with sunburn or mosquitoes?

or freezer burn....  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
We all had a fun weekend, with very good ice. here are the speeds in kmh

http://speed.hallah.nu/

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »
"This is a story about bike control. Do you think you can manage incidents when you drive? This guy can. During the last weekend in february 2015 Speed Weekend was arranged in Årsunda Sweden. The purpose of the event is to drive fast on ice, similar to Bonneville in USA but on ice and with shorter tracks. 1500 m acceleration, 1000 m speed measurement and about 1500 breaking.

This guy runs a Kawasaki ZZR1400 chip tuned and extended swing arm, might be more mods but no turbo. The tyres are normal class (W) high speed tyres or racing slicks with a high number of go-thru sharpened screws added.

The guy enters the first speed measurement at 281 kph (175 MPH) acceleration continues up to approx 320 kph (200 MPH) when the rear wheel suddenly looses grip and start to spin. This happens approx 200 m before the second and last speed measurement. A fraction of a second later the rear tire explodes and completely leaves the bike.

The situation now is 320 kph (200 MPH) speed on wet ice and no rear tire. Rear end friction is litterly zero. And what is the guy doing? He front brake as hard as he can and unload the rear wheel almost completely. A few seconds later he passes the second speed measurement at 293 kph (182 MPH) more or less on the front wheel. As speed goes down he can release some of the front brake power and eventually stops, still on the wheels. Please note that the speeds are real speeds recorded by electronic timing equipment.
Ohh I almost forgot to tell that this guy is 72 years old, his name is Örjan Jonsson and his nic name even before this incident was grandpa of steel.

This run was the fastest bike run during the entire event, several of his competitors had turbo bikes with for sure twice his horsepower.
All results at http://speed.hallah.nu/

Skrivet av Björn Sandin"
Örjan Stålfarfar Jonsson Fan Club
This is a story about bike control. Do you think you can manage incidents when you drive? This guy can. During the last weekend in february 2015 Speed Weekend was arranged in Årsunda Sweden. The purpose of the event is to drive fast on ice, similar to Bonneville in USA but on ice and with shorter tracks. 1500 m acceleration, 1000 m speed measurement and about 1500 breaking.

This guy runs a Kawasaki ZZR1400 chip tuned and extended swing arm, might be more mods but no turbo. The tyres are normal class (W) high speed tyres or racing slicks with a high number of go-thru sharpened screws added.

The guy enters the first speed measurement at 281 kph (175 MPH) acceleration continues up to approx 320 kph (200 MPH) when the rear wheel suddenly looses grip and start to spin. This happens approx 200 m before the second and last speed measurement. A fraction of a second later the rear tire explodes and completely leaves the bike.

The situation now is 320 kph (200 MPH) speed on wet ice and no rear tire. Rear end friction is litterly zero. And what is the guy doing? He front brake as hard as he can and unload the rear wheel almost completely. A few seconds later he passes the second speed measurement at 293 kph (182 MPH) more or less on the front wheel. As speed goes down he can release some of the front brake power and eventually stops, still on the wheels. Please note that the speeds are real speeds recorded by electronic timing equipment.
Ohh I almost forgot to tell that this guy is 72 years old, his name is Örjan Jonsson and his nic name even before this incident was grandpa of steel.

This run was the fastest bike run during the entire event, several of his competitors had turbo bikes with for sure twice his horsepower.
written by Björn Sandin

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
I see entry # 164 - Propster.

That car didn't come out of Florida, did it?  :|
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
this photo before the start. my little bike only made it over the finish line once, and i was pushing it the last 10 yards.

[/URL]

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
Any info or pictures of the Bonneville Bee? It didn't make a lot of speed.
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
Rose is interested in a picture of the Plymouth Satelite, if you have one.  Those are fast speeds.  Very impressive.  What is the density altitude there?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 11:02:33 PM »
Rose is interested in a picture of the Plymouth Satelite, if you have one.  Those are fast speeds.  Very impressive.  What is the density altitude there?

That one caught my eye as well.

Any pics you could post up would be welcome.

Thanks!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »
Pics of the Fiat Topolino and the Buick Roadmaster wagon, too, please.  :cheers:
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 04:32:44 AM »
our official movie just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AxAYFSsMrw

a whole batch of photos shall be coming in a week or so to the Landracing.com site on the photos section - courtesy of Mark Thomas

Offline salt27

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
I only planed on watching a couple of minutes of the youtube and ended up watching the whole thing.
What a hoot, this Swedeweek thing looks like too much fun.   :cheers:

Thanks for giving us a look, Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
Speaking of SpeedWeekend on Ice -- take a look at the home page of landracing.com.  I thought that Anders might deserve a bit of extra recognition.  Thanks to Bob for putting it up there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
Thanks a lot Jon, A great honor to be on the landracing.com front page!

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »
Any info or pictures of the Bonneville Bee? It didn't make a lot of speed.

Perhaps he didnt have very good ice tyres, he seemed to be struggling to get set away from the slushy start line on Friday afternoon, from what i saw

loads of pictures coming soon from Mark Thomas on the photos section