Author Topic: Rule change banning enclosed trailers #5 Rule change request #21  (Read 41463 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
As I am most likely one of the subjects of this rule change, I’d like to start a discussion.
So in the interest of biting my tongue and being polite, I‘ll just say I can conceive of no logical reason for the implementation of this rule, so if you know, or if you have an opinion, would you please enlighten me, as I can think of a number of advantages for having an enclosed trailer along with a few (for me) disadvantages.  But a rule banning them?  I don't get it.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rule change banning enclosed trailers #5 Rule change request #21
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
Jim where can we see this proposed rule change?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JR529

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:17:51 AM »
5. Subject: Rule Change Request [#21]
Name: Mike Spacek
Issue : Over the years while going & working at Bonneville and El Mirage I have noticed the following: Most ALL vehicles competing in the car classes, which report to the impound for record certification, are either pushed, pulled, towed or trailered on an open trailer. That includes almost all of the very hard to transport and hard to prepare vehicles, including: Speed Demon, Turbinator, Vesco, Nish, Ferguson, Target 550, Danny Thompson, Rick Yacoucci etc. etc... But it also includes all other car class vehicles. To my knowledge, there are only one or two vehicles, which transport their car after a Record Certification or Back Up run, in an enclosed trailer. Hidden from everybody’s view. Why?? If the owners and drivers of 30 or 40 feet long Streamliners and Lakesters are able to present their vehicles to the certification officials and all competitors on open trailers and in plain view, why not make this a rule?
Rule Section: 1.G RECORD RUNS: Rule Page #:12
Desired Outcome: Make it FAIR for all vehicles and competitors, competing in Car Classes as described in Section 5, page 55.
Reason for Change: Make it FAIR for all vehicles and competitors, competing in Car Classes as described in Section 5, page 55.
What are the side effects? : One or two vehicle owners will have to design a light open trailer or dolly, like ALL OTHER Competitors already have.
Desired Rulebook Modification: Section 1.G, RECORD RUNS: Page 12 reads as follows: A qualified vehicle shall proceed directly to the designated impound area and report to the official within 1 hour of the time stamp on the timing slip.
Add a New Sentence after above:
All vehicles competing as described in Section 5, Car Classes, are not permitted to be transported in an enclosed trailer or enclosed vehicle to the impound for record certification.

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
Really?

As a guy with an open trailer... I see this rule request... well something to spent other peoples money...

Just unload the car outside of the trailer for inspection. It is that EASY.

Don't start becoming another California bureaucracy.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »
I am with you:
If they want to say will only look at it on the ground so be it

IF someone thinks they are  cheating while inside the trailer-- let the protestor PAY to seal the trailer-- let them PROTEST (with forfeiture of protest sealing money)  and seal the trailer while it is being transported.

LOTS of bikes are transported inside!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
If the concern is that a team will spend the hour - an hour which actually goes by very quickly - packing a chute, loading the car into the trailer, hugging and congratulating each other and picking up the time slip, and then start monkeying around hiding illegal speed secrets, attempting to uninstall a non-class compliant component, replace an engine, or reinstall a safety component while trying to get back to impound in a hot, enclosed trailer while driving the return road in a timely fashion, I'll say this -

I don't think the Wood Brothers in their heyday could pull that one off.

I don't even think Penske could.

Yes, it's possible.

But is it likely?

And is it a problem?

And if a team was actually able to do that, I think that team deserves a performance award.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
This is what I thought when I read the proposed rule change. Requiring an entrant to bring a separate trailer to the salt in case he qualifys is unreasonable. The change would not just apply to a few people who have enclosed trailers and set records lately. It would apply to everyone who has an enclosed trailer and thinks they may qualify for return run. Who want's to bring an extra, empty trailer just to tow back from the 7?  Bad idea.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
Silly idea if I ever heard one.

The burden of lugging an extra trail is none sense.

Yes, there are folks with special handling contraptions for their race vehicles, but there are just as many without.

I'll do whatever the rules end up being, but the folks making the rules need to consider just how much unnecessary money they will cost racers when they invent new rules.

Safety should be the primary driver of any new rules.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »
"Reason for Change: Make it FAIR for all vehicles and competitors, competing in Car Classes as described in Section 5, page 55."

If fairness is indeed the issue, the most effective way of policing these enclosed trailer reprobates would be to have the sanctioning body collect all of the cars that qualify and transport them to impound.

:roll:

I see this one going nowhere.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »
My first thought was that the rule change proposer is a tad too much biased towards cars.  Where is even a hint about the fact that bikes are very often transported back from the end in a closed trailer?  Or perhaps we're seeing his implied statement that bike racers are way above such cheating and don't need to be addressed by the rule. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
I have mentioned before that one of the first things I say at the rules meeting is that we are not in the room to reach into someone's wallet for the sake of a change. This is the perfect example of that. "Make it fair...", what does that mean?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
If this is enforced Target550 will never run at an event where that rule is enforced.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
If this is enforced Target550 will never run at an event where that rule is enforced.

FREUD
I also recall you saying it would never run at any SCTA or USFRA meets because it didn't meet the rules.
  Sid.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
Why is transport in an enclosed trailer unfair to those who choose to tow, push or use an open trailer?  They could use an enclosed trailer if they want.  If you're going to propose a rule change to reduce some supposed cheating at least have the balls to say so.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Why is transport in an enclosed trailer unfair to those who choose to tow, push or use an open trailer?  They could use an enclosed trailer if they want.  If you're going to propose a rule change to reduce some supposed cheating at least have the balls to say so.

That's the reason for the rule proposal. The clubs will vote as they see fit, then the board decides.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...