Author Topic: Tom W.Finn passed  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Tom W.Finn passed
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
Long time lakes and Bonneville racer Tom W. Finn passed away yesterday. RIP Tom.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Tom W.Finn passed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »
GodSpeed Tom
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Tom was a large part of my running at El Mirage. A big help. Anyone know how young Tom is doing?

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
Holy cow :-o

Yet another racer gone this year. I knew Tom from my GMC days running with the Young brothers. I haven't seen Tom Jr. for several years. Maybe Miler Mike Stewart knows, Nathan?

Joanie and I extend our prayers to the family and friends.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »
From my dad:

I met Tom Finn in 1967 after joining the Milers.  Tom was running a 1947 Chevy coupe with his GMC six in it.  The engine was equipped with a Howard log intake manifold with 5 Stromberg carburetors and the usual compliment of equipment.  The coupe was flat towed to El Mirage and back behind Tom's '53 Chevy pickup with a 261 truck engine in it.  It was a long tow to El Mirage on the Old Sierra Highway (I know because I rode back with him one time).  The 14 Freeway hadn't been completed yet.  Tom, Sally (wife, deceased), Tommy and Kathleen Finn lived in Sunland at that time.  Tom was a Mechanic Foreman for LA Water and Power.

Tom and family moved to Sylmar soon thereafter (a few blocks from the epicenter of the 1971 Sylmar earthquake as it would turn out). Tom sold the '47 and was in the process of building a '38 coupe.  During that time I got the idea to put Tom's GMC in Phil Cole's 1956 Chevy 150.  The idea clicked and we went to work.  We borrowed from here and there to complete the car, worked a lot of late hours and a lot of weekends.  We were ready and going to Bonneville in 1971.  We borrowed a trailer from a friend of Phil's in Montrose, loaded the car and arrived in Sylmar by evening.  We finished loading up and departed.  By this time the 14 was open.  We arrived in Bishop after midnight and slept in a park.  We arrived in Wendover the following day, got inspected and set up a pit.

We were able to qualify and ran record runs at least a couple of times that week.  It was a great time for all of us.  All that time and effort had paid off.

A little while later Tom and I bought Ken Logan's Studebaker and the GMC went in it.  Tom built a 261 Chevy and it went into Phil's '56.  With the two cars we ran XO/GC ALT etc, and the '56 ran XO/Prod.  We ran both very successfully for a number of years and made a lot of friends along the way.

When Tommy was growing up he was an integral part of all of this, and so when it was time Tommy built his own car and he and Tom raced it.  First a Vega and later the Monza which Tommy still has, I think. They first ran the GMC and later Tommy built a small block Chevy which ran very well. Tommy also built a 1951 Chevy fast back sedan and ran the 261 and later a 235.  It was this car that Tommy crashed at El Mirage.

Tommy and his wife Penny have two girls, both of whom are grown.  We occasionally see Tommy and his brother in law Kent at Speedweek, visiting around and seeing what's going on.  Last time I saw Tommy was 2012.

Tom Finn was the one who got me interested in Vintage Engines, and the old technology.  Tom was able to do a lot over many years on a budget because he made things, and kept fixing things in order to keep things going and knew how to get those old parts to work and make power.

Sad to see him gone.

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
Sad to hear of Tom's passing.
Nathan your dad and Tom did well with the Studebaker, we never did set a record with it, close but no cigar. It is interesting to note that the quick change that progressed from our Graham, to the Studebaker, to the Vega was built by another old timer, Tom Beatty in 1962.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
Tom was actually one of the original founding members of the Milers.  If you take a look at the Milers club logo there's an overlaid "7".  The original 7 were Tom Finn, Keith and Art Young, Bill and Charlie Gray, Art Becker, and Norm Lorraine. 

An anecdote from my dad: It was during one of our trips to SW (1970 I think) that we had 15 people in 3 rooms at the old Patio Motel (where the high school is now) and we had drank a lot of beer that day and during the night Tom got up to go to the bathroom and got trapped between the door and the wall and couldn't get out.  Just a funny happening that came to mind.

Jim, Tom Beatty fabbed the original 4 point cage in my dad's roadster.  It's interesting to see who you guys all ran the same circles with over the years.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
Nathan, tell you dad that the story about tom getting trapped by the door -- is one of those that must have been funnier than h*ll when it happened -- and even more so as it got told and retold over beers or coffee over the years.  I chuckled when I read it.

I don't know how you've got so many stories from your dad, but if they're not written down -- they should be.  And if they are -- it should be a notice to the rest of us that such memories are literally priceless and need to be saved.  Best wishes to you both -- and may Tom Finn rest in peace.  Think of him with a smile on your face.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stovebolt

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »
Some of Tom's handywork
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
I think I'll add to others rememberances of Tom Finn. For some reason we were adversaries but I don't know why. Tom and I never ran against each other but I did run on some of his records over the years taking one of them. When I showed up in 1975 at El Mirage with our GMC powered 40 Chevy he was one of the first over to see it. At the time the record was held by Ed Harding with a flathead 37 Ford. He and Tom had gone at it for years. Tom was running the Studebaker at that time.

In the 80's I moved to a roadster and in 1985 went to Bonneville with it. By chance Tom had teamed up with Russ Eyres a few years earlier and had set the record in XO/GR at 158+. I guess things went right for us and Patrick and I bumped it up to 162+ where it stayed for 22 years. Tom and his son were running the 50 Chev and the Monza and we spoke everytime we saw each other. He never had much to say but when I asked him something he was always truthful and what he shared worked.

I will always consider him and Tom Jr. good friends. I will miss him and as I get older I'm missing too many of my racing friends..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro