Author Topic: El Mirage rookie questions  (Read 7948 times)

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
El Mirage rookie questions
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:37:41 PM »
Since we didn't get to play on the salt this year I was thinking of trying El Mirage in November but not sure what to expect or how to register. so I have a few questions and I am sure there will be more. I would run as a guest so how much is entry and where do I find an entry form? How many runs could I get at a two day event? Being a rookie my first run would have to be under 150 would my second run have to be under 175? I hold a B license at Bonneville but don't see how that matters. Also can you camp on or near the Lake bed? All Help appreciated feel free to add anything you think will help.

Thank You very Much, Rocket
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: El Mirage rookie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
Since we didn't get to play on the salt this year I was thinking of trying El Mirage in November but not sure what to expect or how to register. so I have a few questions and I am sure there will be more. I would run as a guest so how much is entry and where do I find an entry form? How many runs could I get at a two day event? Being a rookie my first run would have to be under 150 would my second run have to be under 175? I hold a B license at Bonneville but don't see how that matters. Also can you camp on or near the Lake bed? All Help appreciated feel free to add anything you think will help.

Thank You very Much, Rocket

Your entry fee is the same $100.

Number of runs depends on weather (wind etc.) and the number of vehicles but as you pointed out no Bonneville means more entries most likely. On average you can expect 2-3 runs with good weather 4.

Yes, as a rookie you would need to run under 150. You are a rookie the whole meet and need licence upgrades signed off by the starter. Much more than that to being a rookie so go to the SCTA website and download the El Mirage procedures.

Yes, you can camp on the lake bed.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »
My one time at EM -- the last event of the season in '03 -- I managed to make three runs.  All from the rookie line, I believe it was.  I already had my A license so didn't ask questions about licensing even though that A was from Bville.  My fastest run was a 175 or so.

I don't know if the rules and the way the event runs is still the same -- just giving my results to maybe help you figure out what you can do.  Best wishes. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:12:54 PM »
Where do I find an entry form?

TY

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
You show up, get in line, fill out the inspection form, get inspected and pay your fee, there is no seprate entry form. You can download the El Mirage procedures and rookie orientation info from the SCTA web site.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:53:12 AM »
My one time at EM -- the last event of the season in '03 -- I managed to make three runs.  All from the rookie line, I believe it was.  I already had my A license so didn't ask questions about licensing even though that A was from Bville.  My fastest run was a 175 or so.

I don't know if the rules and the way the event runs is still the same -- just giving my results to maybe help you figure out what you can do.  Best wishes. :-D

Jon,

I remember your runs and I remember you saying you would never be back..why not?  Little loose?

J

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
TY I have downloaded and read rookie info from the scta site. thanks again

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:01:06 AM »

Don't worry Jon, you're right. The rookie rules are MUCH different from those in 2003.......   :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
John, I'm not sure why I said I'd never run there again - save that it's one heck of a long way to go from Skandia, Michigan to EM -- just to drive really fast down a dirt road.  Yeah, the dust blew up and obscured my vision for a while and we had a pit chair "appropriated" overnight, but I don't think either of those would be good enough reason to say "never again".  I wonder what I had in mind when I said that?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:36:14 AM »
A little clarification on a few things.  I ran as a guest/rookie last year and the fee is more for more guests.  Not the end of the world more.  Your license from bonneville is valid.  YOu will have to run a rookie run under 150 but then you are good to run according to your license.  You cannot qualify for a record as a rookie (although I believe exceptions are made)   You start from the rookie line which is actually kinda nice being able to roll up to the start however you can only run once per round relative to everyone else.  You will have to do rookie orientation Fri afternoon so get there early so you can get your tech out of the way first.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
. . . and a "guest" cannot set a record.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
I believe if you are not a member of a club your entry fee is $200. It may have changed when they raised club members fee to $100. But, if you're willing to haul all the way down here, what's another $100!  :wink:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
I believe this info is in the SCTA El Mirage operating procedures  that is available on their WEB SITE.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 07:01:42 PM »
Wondering what time tech starts on Friday since I would like to get through tech before orientation if possible? Should I get in line early to make this happen?

Thank You, Rocket

Offline jdincau

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 07:46:11 PM »
Tech opens at noon, again this is in the El Mirage procedures available on the SCTA web site. If you are familiar with them it will make your weekend a lot less stressful
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!