Author Topic: Bonneville in the New York Times  (Read 22751 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Bonneville in the New York Times
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 05:27:12 PM »
 This is purely personal opinion but I cant agree that any press is good press.

Maintaining a degree of inaccessibility and mystique keeps the number of boneheads (who dominate many other auto pursuits) invading the sport to a minimum, I'm not saying there aren't any, just not that many.

I subscribed to a page on Farcebuck that is devoted to the model of Holden that I have, an HR. Now in stark contrast to the debate here I am eagerly awaiting the day I read a post that is free of either grammatical errors or pea-brained political opinion. Seriously, just EITHER because none of them can spell or write anything without offering an uninformed, dangerous or plain stupid opinion. Sometimes you have to read a post several times to even vaguely understand what they're trying to say. Most of the people on it need spell check for their own name.

I have "written" stories for magazines about the salt so I guess I'm a guilty party but I also race and am under no illusions about what publicity does for the game. Unless its hard to get involved we get part-timers and dilettantes who waste people's time, ask the dumb questions and generally f*** things up because they don't love, or even care about the history, the science and the art of landspeed racing.

Now, where was we?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
  Where is the "BRAVO" button on here?
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline joea

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »
you mean we dont want to invite the world to bring their rv's to come
check out Bonneville...?...

i guess part of the "message" to the public, can hopefully include clear at least partial
explanation of dire situation this national landmark is and how it came to be...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 01:53:46 AM »
This is purely personal opinion but I cant agree that any press is good press.

Maintaining a degree of inaccessibility and mystique keeps the number of boneheads (who dominate many other auto pursuits) invading the sport to a minimum, I'm not saying there aren't any, just not that many.

I subscribed to a page on Farcebuck that is devoted to the model of Holden that I have, an HR. Now in stark contrast to the debate here I am eagerly awaiting the day I read a post that is free of either grammatical errors or pea-brained political opinion. Seriously, just EITHER because none of them can spell or write anything without offering an uninformed, dangerous or plain stupid opinion. Sometimes you have to read a post several times to even vaguely understand what they're trying to say. Most of the people on it need spell check for their own name.

I have "written" stories for magazines about the salt so I guess I'm a guilty party but I also race and am under no illusions about what publicity does for the game. Unless its hard to get involved we get part-timers and dilettantes who waste people's time, ask the dumb questions and generally f*** things up because they don't love, or even care about the history, the science and the art of landspeed racing.

Now, where was we?

Amen, Bro!  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »
you mean we dont want to invite the world to bring their rv's to come
check out Bonneville...?...

i guess part of the "message" to the public, can hopefully include clear at least partial
explanation of dire situation this national landmark is and how it came to be...

Yes Joe, I left that out.

I also thought at same time that maybe Save the Salt could run a raffle, post 5lbs of salt to Lands End and be in the running for $10,000 :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline jdincau

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
As I said in another thread... Journalists never let the facts get in the way of a good story!
But all press for the sport that puts it in a good light is good press
Maybe the Times can run a save the salt story  :cheers:
I fear the only save the salt article we are likely to see in the NYT is one about saving the salt from the non politically correct, environment destroying,  anti social, petroleum dependent speed freaks using it just for the fun of it.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »
I wasn't sure quite how to say that but it is precisely what I think. I would probably be at the left of centre on this one but that doesn't put me at odds with the masses here.

Racing on the salt is a non invasive, renewable pursuit. Here in Australia our venue is in constant dispute. On the surface it would appear to be about the traditional owners and their problems with part time users damaging the area. The truth is probably far simpler. It's currently a National park, due to its chemical makeup and the geology of the area there are valuable things in and around it.. The government, bless their tiny little hearts, just want people to make money out of it so that they can get some of it.

The bulk of the audience to whom saving these surfaces for racing on is important, are doing it.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »
I'm worried that if Michael Bloomberg reads about "salt" in the NYT, that he will try to get it banned like he wanted to do with big drinks and guns.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline racergeo

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:59 AM »
   Big drinks and guns  :evil: Now there's an idea for a couple new classes. Should be no worries for Goggles to get his red hat.  :-D