Author Topic: Bonneville in the New York Times  (Read 22748 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Bonneville in the New York Times
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 04:52:46 AM »
I didn't notice many mistakes but I do have a question.

Did Mickey Thompson ever run Challenger 2 at 411 mph? I have tried to find contemporary reports but none suggest speeds that high. A one-way run faster than Goldonrod's record might have hit the headlines?

in 1968 the car was called Autolite (sometimes Autolite Special), in 1969 he tried to run again...the car was called Conquest

in 1968 the car run one way 425 mph....but the water stand one yard away from the outside line of the course....no chance for Mickey to make a proper return run...

The racers in the 60's run into the same experience as we do now....mother nature didn't like to have us on the salt....

By the way....Goldenrod run after his record once more...with the original designed air scoops....and reached 425 mph, too
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:30:39 AM by SPARKY »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Podunk

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bob Summers & Al Teague hold the FIA wheel driven LSR before Don Vesco's 458?

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bob Summers & Al Teague hold the FIA wheel driven LSR before Don Vesco's 458?

Vesco is holding the record in FIA turbine category....Bob Summers had the record to 2010 in the category for N/A engine, Al Teague had the record in the category for blown engine.....Vesco broke Campbells record...but when the FIA split the turbine category in more than three weight limits, Campbell got his record back.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »
So the NY Times says 411 mph, PorkPie claims 425 mph and the Thompson web site (http://thompsonlsr.com/about/) states:

Early function testing proved extremely propitious, and the crew celebrated trial speeds approaching 400 mph. Their delight was abruptly transformed into despair when an unseasonal storm submerged their course at Bonneville, necessitating the cancellation of further tests and making a record attempt that year impossible.

Is there a definitive account somewhere of what Mickey Thompson achieved in 1968?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:38:28 PM by TrickyDicky »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
"On a closing note, I take umbrage to anyone who thinks I screw around with facts, or don't take all due care to report verifiable copy. If I get it wrong, tell me and tell me why so it can be corrected ASAP. Don't be some eenie weenie, cowardly little sissy who tells everyone else but me. My work is crafted to stand the test of time."

Well, that wasn't my experience editing a publication when you insisted on submitting an article in unalterable pdf format.  It was rife with typos and had some errors in fact.  But, we know you are always right.  And the rest of us are wrong.  I better apologize now.  I'm sorry I brought this up.  Please forgive me.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »
Amen, Stan. Well said.
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline aircap

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:05:49 AM »
Two thumbs up from the heartland for Louise.  Good job!

Guess I'm a dumbshit. Should have read a little closer.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:31 AM »
We're all very close to this sport.  We have a good understanding of the nuances and procedures, what the records mean, and what they mean to those pursuing them.

The editors at the Times see a slice of Americana - "100 years of Burning Man for Car Geeks", if you will.  There's likely little understanding in the editorial office of the significance of Bonneville, other than Hot Rods, Anthony Hopkins and Jet Cars.  So they're willing to publish a so-so article and print the pictures, but unwilling to take the time to properly educate the reader.

Lindsay Brooke's piece had the feel of a pre-written article, rewritten and edited to fit the situation when the situation changed.   

And Louise is, in all honesty, likely one of the few people in the United States with the tenacity to have gotten any placement at all for LSR in the Times. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

velocity

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 04:00:00 AM »
"On a closing note, I take umbrage to anyone who thinks I screw around with facts, or don't take all due care to report verifiable copy. If I get it wrong, tell me and tell me why so it can be corrected ASAP. Don't be some eenie weenie, cowardly little sissy who tells everyone else but me. My work is crafted to stand the test of time."

Well, that wasn't my experience editing a publication when you insisted on submitting an article in unalterable pdf format.  It was rife with typos and had some errors in fact.  But, we know you are always right.  And the rest of us are wrong.  I better apologize now.  I'm sorry I brought this up.  Please forgive me.

Stan

You poor, sad little man, bringing this up after so many years . . , all because you were prevented from having dominion over my work in a Speedweek program. 

The reason you were given a unalterable PDF was simple: you were not trusted to be professional in your editing. Repeated requests for standard specifications, word count and page allotment were never provided. As the article and photos were a donation to the sport I withdrew from submitting anything, rather than to chance my work being changed by someone I did not believe capable of professional copy editing and fact checking. It was only after I was asked by SCTA officials to reconsider that submitting by PDF was chosen.

These so-called errors were obviously missed by 2 SCTA proof readers. Further, all of the contributors, sources, and quoted parties made it a point to from tell me the were very satisfied with the printed result and were grateful for the time I spent researching the subject, contacting multiple reliable sources and reporting to the land speed racing community a concise recap on salt depletion.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
...just to clarify....my comment was about the NYT article.... :roll: :roll: :-D
Pork Pie

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
It is interesting to read a post on the same topic on another board and observe the differences in the responses.  Go to the HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bonneville-makes-the-new-york-times.945006/

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »
I pointed out at least 20 errors, but was told to not make the powers-that-be subject to your wrath.

It's not easy to correct errors in a PDF.

By the way, Speed Week shud be SpeedWeek.  Proofreader is one word.

It's not over until the . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
It is interesting to read a post on the same topic on another board and observe the differences in the responses.  Go to the HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bonneville-makes-the-new-york-times.945006/

John

Indeed!
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I pointed out at least 20 errors, but was told to not make the powers-that-be subject to your wrath.

It's not easy to correct errors in a PDF.

By the way, Speed Week shud be SpeedWeek.  Proofreader is one word.

It's not over until the . . .

:-D :-D :-D :evil:

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »
No good deed goes unpunished. Thank you for your efforts to the sport Louise. Any press is good press.