Author Topic: Bonneville in the New York Times  (Read 22747 times)

velocity

Bonneville in the New York Times
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
Although the rains shattered four of the assigned stories the editors and I had planned to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the LSR, we managed to salvage one, the lead-off recap has made through. Please enjoy and share:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/automobiles/a-century-of-speed-weather-permitting.html?_r=0#

This season is as though I exploded 7 engines in one day. Not only did the NYT articles stagnate, but 2 major magazines and respected web presence.

Sigh. that's racing, eh?

LandSpeed Louise

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Bonneville in the New York Times
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
Louise, you didn't explode anything - it was just your turn for it to explode on you.

You can't steer the writers - or editors - but for a 100 year recap to ignore 50 new class records, three 200 mph club inductees and a new 300 mph club member at WOS during what was clearly a bad year was an oversight.

But from all of us, thanks for pushing the buttons at the Times.  Still the only newspaper I receive on my doorstep.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

velocity

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »
Please don't misunderstand, the article was written in advance of Speedweek, it was never intended to include any event coverage. That was to be my job. Getting ANY coverage in the NY Times a boon to the sport!

Offline joea

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
Very nice story...!!

And Milwaukee...yes ..... there were ALOT of great stories and accomplishments to celebrate , representing the scope of the last 100 years

Louise it would have been swell if you could have gotten some of the happenings/ details after SW besides the WF cancellation

I know we are never fully satisfied , thanks for your contribution
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:17:56 AM by joea »

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:51:20 AM »
Nice story Louise. I think you nailed it. We have to remember that the story is not written for us racers and enthusiasts, but for a vast audience who likely have little knowledge of the Bonneville salt flats and the depth of racing activity that occurs there. Tough year for everybody. You weren't dealt many cards, but you played them well. Thanks for spreading the gospel Louise.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 04:11:11 AM »
mistakes, mistakes....and more mistakes.....outsch....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
As I said in another thread... Journalists never let the facts get in the way of a good story!
But all press for the sport that puts it in a good light is good press
Maybe the Times can run a save the salt story  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
Louise, you are a clever and talented wordsmith promoting land speed racing everywhere. You are a major asset to the LSR family. Thanks for your contributions.

Larry C.
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
Pork Pie - your comments appear to be an insult to the writer(s) of the story -- not an attempt to correct errors or at least point them out.  I'm not a historian with the depth of knowledge that both Louise and you have - and I noticed some errors, too.  But still - I'd like to keep this Forum as free as possible of personal insults that don't do anything but try to impugn someone.

So - who is Lindsay Brooke?  Louise's pen name?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »
So - who is Lindsay Brooke?  Louise's pen name?

Author, Times automotive contributor - can't quite suss out if he's on staff or freelance with the Times.

I'd much rather have seen Louise's name in the byline.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline joea

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
Yes if Louise had the  pull I'm sure it would have been much different!!!

When Bonneville most certainly DID happen !!!  Vesco..Thompson...Copeland ...Strasburg ...hundreds of other great stories from lesser known names ..triumph...defeat ...400+..tragedy...overcoming the elements..

Instead the article comes out 26 Sept with details about not only SpeedWeek cancel but also WF , basically : Bonneville is a great place with a lot of history...and it didn't happen this year....

very big missed opportunity for Lindsey Brooke , NYT and the public

Would love to have a full Louise story and credits for her and other writings , namely "the book"

on the other hand...how much more traffic can the venue endure ?

Offline aircap

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »
Two thumbs up from the heartland for Louise.
Good job!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

velocity

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 12:44:11 AM »
Make no mistake, I ALWAYS write under my own name, never anything else. The story was written by L. Brooke. I was not involved with its assignment, or development. The New York Times reached out to me for help in securing images from a list they provided. I was honored to help because I am THRILLED to see land speed racing getting recognition in what I consider to be one of America's finest daily newspaper.

Had I seen the copy prior to publication, i would have certainly suggested modifications. I have already voiced a great disappointment that Don Vesco, the man who brought the WORLD wheel-driven record back to the USA after more than 30 years, was once more ignored. But I had no part in the article's writing, but am very honored to have the editors choose 7 of photos for the article's art.

If there is some blame, it might be with those who are after Vesco's record but refuse to acknowledge him for what can only be utterly small-minded, mean-spirited reasons. I suppose the first time anyone will regain their memories will be when some car they are part of has bested the 458MPH mark under FIA sanction. At that time they may very well cavort and snort across the salt wildly shouting:

We beat Don Vesco,
We beat Don Vesco.

On a closing note, I take umbrage to anyone who thinks I screw around with facts, or don't take all due care to report verifiable copy. If I get it wrong, tell me and tell me why so it can be corrected ASAP. Don't be some eenie weenie, cowardly little sissy who tells everyone else but me. My work is crafted to stand the test of time. I am unfailingly cognizant that what I write will be, or has already become part of the historical record upon which others may rely. It is responsibility with which I cheerfully abide.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 03:59:59 AM »
I didn't notice many mistakes but I do have a question.

Did Mickey Thompson ever run Challenger 2 at 411 mph? I have tried to find contemporary reports but none suggest speeds that high. A one-way run faster than Goldonrod's record might have hit the headlines?

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 04:47:04 AM »
To my comment about this article.

....it was one of my typical, very straight, comments...and no try to insult someone...but the honest comment as I felt when I had read this article

Louise, my comment was not against you

1. I know that you always write under your own name
2. you know the correct facts

Unfortunately this article is missing all but especially the correct facts....
The NYT didn't deserve a so article....hope the next time they ask Louise to write them
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:55:10 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)