Author Topic: Wilmington September Picture Post  (Read 26574 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »
Greg it was great to finally put a face to the name your pictures and live feed add greatly to the overall event.  We had a great time once again in Wilmington added two more MPH to the flathead record it now stands at 172.546. While I was working on my car in the pits I heard that little Crosley working hard coming to the line Gerald pushed her to 121 MPH dam fast for sure.
   Thanks to everyone involved putting another great ECTA event in the books. To Joe and Donna I know your going to enjoy retirement you deserve it. Welcome to the new ECTA partners Kerri and Brian Lohnes there youth will add fresh ideas to this great organization.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Great pictures Woody  :cheers: and Guido  :mrgreen: !!!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gkabbt

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
Great pictures Woody  :cheers: and Guido  :mrgreen: !!!

Mike
Too Dodge funny, Mike.....ROTFLMFAO!  :-D  :-D  :-D  
:cheers: <=== As you so eloquently put it....LR Like Button

Gregg err, ahh, Guido
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:02:41 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
Shame on you, Woody -

You know better than to post a pic of a Bugeye with a scaffold for a roll bar and leave no further clues!

Good Lord, how tall was the driver?  I don't even need that much room!

I heard Gerald topped 121 in the Crosley.   :cheers:

Yeah - I clearly missed a cool one this time.

IIRC that Bugeye Sprite ran in H/GMS and was in the 110 range. The rollbar was definitely hideous.

Gerald on his 121 run.

Yep, you did miss a VERY GOOD meet!

Guido
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:41:17 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 06:34:57 PM »
On the drive home from Wilmington I thought of the steam powered motorcycle.
Don't know the owners name but this bike ran 80 mph and is now the fastest steam powered motorcycle ever!

These track shots are the only ones I have. I thought I had some of it in the pits but I cannot find them.

COOL bike but it's REALLY weird to see a bike that has a sound like a train!  :-D

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
There was a guy there with a new turbo Fiat and I asked him the nagging question, "Just how fast is an Easter egg?" Turns out it's about 122 and change. Be afraid - very afraid!!!  :evil:

122 through the lights!

Gregg

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
What class was the Crosley running?  Modified Sports?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

gkabbt

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
What class was the Crosley running?  Modified Sports?

I think that is correct. I did not get any close up shots of Gerald's car at this event.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
Greg it was great to finally put a face to the name your pictures and live feed add greatly to the overall event.  We had a great time once again in Wilmington added two more MPH to the flathead record it now stands at 172.546. While I was working on my car in the pits I heard that little Crosley working hard coming to the line Gerald pushed her to 121 MPH dam fast for sure.
   Thanks to everyone involved putting another great ECTA event in the books. To Joe and Donna I know your going to enjoy retirement you deserve it. Welcome to the new ECTA partners Kerri and Brian Lohnes there youth will add fresh ideas to this great organization.  :cheers:
Same here Ron!  Glad you upped the record!  :cheers:

See you in May.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:00 AM »
Story I'd like to share.

Many ECTA and Bonneville folks remember the names Courtney and Villa Hizer. As I understand, over the years, their cars set numerous records at both ECTA and Bonneville events and Courtney was in the 200 MPH clubs for both organizations.

After Courtney's passing in 2011, the team wanted to carry on the Hizer racing tradition and so the #80 Hizer Racing Spirit '59 Berkley was built for the Modified Sports class. Unfortunately, the car had some teething issues at Bonneville in 2012 and several things had to be changed. They regrouped, came back in 2013 and on crappy salt, Paul Powell set the B/BGMS record at 250.563 with a best speed of 278+ and a Red Hat to boot!

For 2014 the team decided on an engine change to a slower class and Villa would drive the car.....something she had never done before. They came to Wilmington in July to let Villa get some seat time before SpeedWeek. They had engine and transmission issues but did make a few slow passes. Engine and trans issues were resolved back at the shop and the car was readied for SpeedWeek.....Strike one! Decided that the car would run at World Finals.....Strike two! They came back to Wilmington and Bingo! Villa was finally able to make several passes with the best being 128+. Several small items need to be changed over the Winter and the Hizer Racing Spirit team will be back in Wilmington next year before heading out to Bonneville.

Pics from this past weekend:

I have gotten to know the team over the past few months as Paul only lives 10 miles from me. I spent quite a few hours at his place helping them get ready for SpeedWeek, World Finals and Wilmington.

Sorry to ramble on but I think it's a REALLY COOL story!

Gregg  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:13:41 AM by gkabbt »

Offline MJW

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
There was a guy there with a new turbo Fiat and I asked him the nagging question, "Just how fast is an Easter egg?" Turns out it's about 122 and change. Be afraid - very afraid!!!  :evil:

122 through the lights!

Gregg

Gregg,  Nice pict of me in the "Angry Italian" the 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo 5spd, totally stock, no tweaking and pump 93 gas.  Our best time was 122.8837 for the record in H/PS.  We had a blast and will be back in May I want to get to 125.  Drove it out from New Jersey, its my daily driver.

Mark

I'm not napping I'm testing the couch.

2013 Fiat 500 Turbo (Abarth Lite)

gkabbt

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
Mark, I just looked through the pics I took and found another shot of your "Angry Italian":

As you see, I'm not a professional photographer. I just take so-so pics and post them up for the folks at home to see what's here!

I'll stop by and chat in May.

Gregg

Offline MJW

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
Mark, I just looked through the pics I took and found another shot of your "Angry Italian":

As you see, I'm not a professional photographer. I just take so-so pics and post them up for the folks at home to see what's here!

I'll stop by and chat in May.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg looking forward to it.  Will the Rampage be ready by then?
I'm not napping I'm testing the couch.

2013 Fiat 500 Turbo (Abarth Lite)

gkabbt

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
Mark, Thanks for asking and YES it will! After a relatively long self imposed hiatus (long story), I'm just starting back on it full time.
I have pretty much all I need to complete except the transmission and hope to get that within the next few weeks!
I'll be posting updates in my build diary soon!

Gregg

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
Gregg , good seeing you this past weekend at the ECTA event in Ohio. Cool pictures.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com