Author Topic: Passings  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Passings
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »
Larry Lindsley a long time Land speed racer has passed, He comes from a long list of family of racers, a member of the El Mirage,Muroc,and Bonneville 200 & 300 MPH clubs.Further information on services will be posted when available.RIP Larry.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

Re: Passings
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »
His family was with him to the end.

What else would we expect from Mary Anne.

May the family find peace.  We know Larry has.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
GodSpeed Larry
Condolences to Mary Anne and the family from my racing family
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
Oh, crap.  Another legend bites the dust.  May he rest in peace, and may his family be reassured that he was well-loved and respected.

Nancy and Jon :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
Being an "over the liner"  state line that is---  I  worked off my GG  club meeting requirement assisting Anne and Larry in the staging lanes---what a treat to get to know these 2 over the years  RIP Larry!

Lord please be with his family as they grieve his passing and the aching in their hearts of missing his presence!

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
Joanie & I send our prayers to Anne and the family in their time of loss.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
A sad day for the land speed racing community. RIP and Godspeed Larry. My condolences to the Lindsley Family. 

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 01:36:14 AM »
A recognition of Larry Lindsley will be held tomorrow, Saturday October 26, 2014

at his home. It's an outdoor event so check the weather report to see how to dress.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:55:02 AM by SPARKY »
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »
DOC!!!  its not OCT yet
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »
I had Tim Rochlitzer's memorial on my mind. It is October 25th.

This entire month has been confusing to me. Changing the

event dates was too much for me to keep straight.

Oh well I have to be able to deal with that small mistake.

Bigger ones than that happen to me daily.

Now all I have to do is make it to October 25th.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »
At the Bonneville NW Reunion about 5 years ago I had a guest who was a wheel chair patient. He crashed a bike in a road race and was paralyzed from the waist down. He had an appetite for the SR-71 plane that took him a long ways searching for knowledge of HABU. He became acquainted with many of the people that were deep in that project. Commanders, pilots, mechanics and engineers were all of interest to him. He developed a first name basis with these people and attended many of their functions. He sucked up the knowledge and it was an instance of instant recall during any discussion. Somewhere along the line as the planes were being dismantled and shipped to the museums where they are now on display, he received some of the special fuel that was formulated for the SR-71. He had no outside source of income so he decided to make a special unique container that would store and show the fuel. As I recall he may have had only one of these with him at the banquet.
We always have a 50/50 cash drawing after dinner. As I recall the winners amount was around $250. The winner was Larry Lindsley. He had been talking to Mr. SR-71 and the instant that he won he raised his arms and headed to our guest. Without an instant of hesitation he handed the money to Mr. SR-71. He just handed the money to him. No questions asked. Wanted nothing in return. Just out of the goodness of his heart he GAVE the money away. He was offered the jet fuel trophy but that was not in his plan. He just gave the money to someone that he felt needed it.
That was Larry. All of us lost a G O O D man. Mary Anne lost a great husband and their children lost a unique Father.
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »
  In my twenty years of going to Speedweek my three biggest thrills have been watching the Phoenix go over 280 mph, watching and listening to Al Teague shift gears at over 250 on a 400+ pass, and listening to Larry warm up the Leggitt and Lindsley car in the pits.
  If you never heard that car run with a LOAD of Nitro, you might not understand but it sent chills throughout my body and soul.
  Godspeed Larry.
                                                                                                              Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
ORB...that is something that we share.

Those chicken skin bumps and the ringing in my ears take a long

time to go away after that warm up.  Oh Ya, it was in impound so

that means it was record run time.

Thanks for confirming what special situations occur at B'Ville.

FREUD

Since '63

velocity

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 01:05:38 AM »
I will always have a smile when I think of Larry and his daughter Patty sitting in the middle of about 100 cadets at the United States Air Force Academy as I lectured the the group on land speed racing in a effort to invigorate the students to join the then-new joint racer/academy program.

Larry came dressed in his 300MPH Chapter finest, cutting as fine a figure as Chuck Yeager ever could with all his winter white hair.
Patty wore a Bonneville t-shirt decorated with the the car that earned Larry the right to wear the 200MPH Club colors.  I introduced both as "land speed racing royalty" which made Larry and Patty laugh out loud to mask the tinge of embarrassment I gave them both by flipping on the limelight.

Afterwards, they were surrounded by cadets with probing, introspective questions, that Larry carefully and completely answered. Surely he was grand ambassador that day in my eyes and I was so very grateful for both jumping up, stepping in and helping out.

In the photo they stand in front of Wes Messick's  "Radical Flyer" wagon just before we all climbed in and went cruising around the quad of the campus with Lt.Col Buckley and his cadets. Such great fun!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:12:02 AM by velocity »