Author Topic: Speed Demon crash analysis -- discuss  (Read 3220 times)

Offline superleggera

Speed Demon crash analysis -- discuss
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »
We all have seen the pictures and video from Mike Cook's Land Speed Shootout FB page -- much appreciated that George, Ron and the team have allowed them to be posted for everyone to view. (and hopefully more will be shared upcoming purely for the benefit of safety analysis)

Question is what can be learned from the pictures that could benefit others:

- Was there anything unique about the frame materials, tubing diameters, engineering/design or fabrication thereof outside of the SCTA rule mandates? (Rich Manchen did a great job in construction of that frame)

- Was there anything in regard to safety equipment that could have been done better or different?

- Does anyone have access to the data, G-forces measurements or other computer info from the accident itself for extrapolation from engineering folks in the future? (they can remove the engine / boost data as not applicable and proprietary)  I know years ago in IMSA GTP, Group C and CART series we all learned a lot from having instrumented data (accident especially) for use when designing and building the next evolution car to increase safety.

- Aerodynamics?  SCTA Safety Crew?  Affirmation of SCTA safety rules?  Other?

To be honest -- accidents are not fun for those involved -- but admittedly analysis of the incident always makes it better for the sport in general for those in the future.  Hopefully other incidents like this in the future will allow the driver to escape like George did this time.

- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Speed Demon crash analysis -- discuss
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
One thing I learned from that video is the absolute necessity of the face shield on a helmet. The cloud of flying salt was amazing!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Texican

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »
One thing I learned from that video is the absolute necessity of the face shield on a helmet. The cloud of flying salt was amazing!

Just ask Seth Hammond about that experience.
Sure would appear that whatever extra a driver might spend for Lexan, or the latest trick material; it's well spent.

Jim

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »
You not only need a face shield but be sure it stays closed under high G situations.
Keith Copeland is another driver to talk to about that experience (car #768 C/BGMS).

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4480.0.html