Author Topic: World Finals/SpeedWeek 2014  (Read 12794 times)

Offline Finallygotit

Re: World Finals/SpeedWeek 2014
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
I wonder how much heat the camera and weather electronics produce by themselves?  :?
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
Pelco is a very popular brand of outdoor camera enclosures.  Options include heat and ventilation and even window wipers.  I'd go with one of them for the sake of being so well tested and accepted in the commercial marketplace.  I haven't looked but wouldn't be surprised if solar power for the thing is available.  I'm not as concerned about the camera operating at low or high temperatures - as I am about the ancillary equipment like iris, perhaps zoom, and for sure panning.  All needs to be considered and either accommodated or discarded.

I'll look -- you folks keep giving me ideas and thoughts you've come up with.  Thankee.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
I am working so don't have a lot of time to do exhaustive research but I did find one outdoor camera that claimed to only draw 1/2 watt and could be serviced with 1.5 sq ft of solar panel.
They actually said 1.2 but in the case of solar I am very strongly inclined to over engineer capacity. panels get dirty, birds poop on them, the sun can be hidden by clouds for days on end, and as they age the slowly lose some of their initial capacity. Given this will be hard for us to service (unless someone who lives local is willing and able) better design for bullet proof reliability. I imagine panels similar to those you see on road side signs would be adequate.

It also depends on what sort of bells and whistles folks are willing to fund for the primary install. If it is a panning camera, the local government or state highway might be willing to chip in a few $$ if they can use it to pan around or piggly back another camera to view the highway if they have accidents or other issues they want to watch.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
Polycrystalline solar cells are preferable to thin-film types. They don't deteriorate over time like the thin- film ones. More expensive, though.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
Update on storm total radar info for today.
Looks like they got about 0.1 inches additional today between 2:00-5:00 pm

The composite loop shows that the basic wind pattern has changed. Earlier today the flow was coming out of the south east across the saltflats, but the latest loop shows a front has come through and the current flow on the race course area is coming out of the south west now. Hopefully that will push the wet out of there and get things drying.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
Here's the latest NOAA forecast.  It looks like good drying weather isn't forthcoming very much for the next week.  Not bad for the next couple of days, but Friday and Saturday's forecast highs tell me to remind everyone to make sure you've packed enough warm clothes.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.7371490590005&lon=-114.0375068349997&site=all&smap=1#.VB9eeufK7bs
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
I checked the SCTA-BNI site, didn't see a pre-entry list.

Is there one available?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
I expect you'd have to get the answer from Stan Back.  I don't know of one.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
Sorry -- I'm only an August SpeedWeek guy.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Keith Copeland

• New folks
    • Black Salt Racing
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »

From the SCTA facebook page.   Not everybody uses the WEB or computers so please pass the word.

Speed Week at World Finals Update:

From your SCTA advance crew at 7:30 PM Sunday it's raining now. Speed Week at World Finals at the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats has been cancelled. The advance crew consisting of SCTA President Scott Andrews and Race Director Bill Lattin have reviewed the BSF race courses and determined that they are too wet to have any reasonable expectation of them being dry enough to provide a quality race course. We owe our competitors and fans the most accurate assessment and a real picture of the current and expected conditions. The SCTA wishes to thank all of our loyal racers, sponsors, volunteers, and wonderful fans for your undying support of the SCTA and the Bonneville Salt Flats. The entire SCTA and BNI Boards have worked tirelessly to give you the best Land Speed Racing experience and anything less than that is not acceptable to us. We look forward to being your racing choice next year, but for this year at Bonneville Mother Nature hold's the records. See you on the salt in 2015!

Keith Copeland

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
I'd like to say a big thanks to the SCTA for a gutsy call.  It sucks but at least we won't have to haul to Wendover and sit in a hotel and wait while they ummm and arrrr trying to make up their minds.   SpeedWeek 2014 at SpeedWeek 2015 anyone?

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
Planning to make my first visit to Speedweek in August of '15...................
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
I can guarantee it won't be your last.  :cheers:
Dan