Author Topic: World Finals/SpeedWeek 2014  (Read 12799 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
World Finals/SpeedWeek 2014
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »
I'm starting this separate topic to make it easier to find out about the coming event at Bonneville.  It's all yours -- post whatever you want, as usual, including questions and photos and reports of what's what and who's fast (or slow :evil:).  Have at it, ladies and gentlemen. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

Re: World Finals/SpeedWeek 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
At current Wendover time, looks like the BSF is getting a big dose of the liquid precipitation:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/wendover-ut/84022/weather-radar/341200

Gregg

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »
Storm total rainfall estimate is that so far only about 0.1 inch of rainfall to a trace over the salt flats at this time (07:30 Sun)
Lots of clouds but right now looks to be more of a drizzle than a rain storm.

Port of entry cam shows wet pavement on the last image (too dark to see anything on the others)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
Thanks for looking at the weather details and images for us all, Larry.  Please keep at it - many folks want to know whether there'll be an event at all, and, if so, if the salt will be a: dry enough to race and b: long enough to allow high speeds.   :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
I80 web cam latest frames show it is wet enough for back spray on the cars as of 08:40

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/images/slc/camera/loopCams.php?camName=envpoe&numFrames=10

Storm total image covers from approximately 2:00 pm last night until 07:30 this morning.
Last hour saw just a trace on the race courses, but heavy rain about 30-40 miles north.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:27:51 AM by hotrod »

velocity

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
What bothers me more about the camera's sequence is the complete lack of salt in the photo, not the rain.

I consider myself "new" to this sport and I even I can recall when salt abutted the freeway ramps. . . .

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »
Wow -- you must have been around for longer than I thought. :evil:  From what I see the view shows the acceleration ramp from the westbound weigh scale on the extreme left and the deceleration lane for the first Wendover exit -- the one that leads to the far east end of town and Mike's store -- on the right.  Was salt really that far up?  It's been dirt there for all of the dozen or so years that we've been going, I think.

I just looked again and refreshed the link - and while I don't see evidence of rain at the moment, I do see that the pavement still looks wet.  The forecast is fairly nice after today and tonight, but cooling off as the week progresses.  Highs in the 80s for a couple of days, decreasing to the 60s by Friday and Saturday.  WF/SW attendees:  Take your warm jackets and long pants and extra socks and maybe even shoes that'll keep your feet warm.  You don't want to be in Impound at 7.30 and warming the vehicle -- while your teeth are chattering, do you? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

velocity

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
Ha!  Only coming up on 20 years in the sport -- very new considering this is the 101st year of racing.

No, the salt was not that far up in that view, a lot of the salt was displaced by the road crews when they built the ramps, but I have photos that clearly show pockets of salt much closer to I80. Were the cameras pivoted 180 degrees that would be the most telling change. The attached image is from 1982 or 1983 -- the last great rainout cycle. . .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:06:26 PM by velocity »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
I've got a great idea that might be of help to all of us racers.

Remember the tower across from the Salt Flats Cafe/truckstop?  When we started going out to Wendover we'd see the flashing light for miles and miles, knowing that it was as the correct exit -- and therefore we had Bonneville in sight.  Well, the light hasn't been used in years -- but the tower is still there.  How 'bout if we arrange (= pay) to put a camera there and connect it to the internet?  It's be pretty simple and inexpensive to put the camera in a weathertight and heated enclosure that's rotatable on demand.  It shouldn't be too difficult to get the video signal across the street and into the truckstop or cafe where it could be fed into the internet.  I'd expect the most difficult thing would be finding a skyhook to get me up there to attach the camera and enclosure.  I'm not as spry about climbing towers as I used to be.  The cost?  I don't see why it'd cost more than a thousand bucks complete including the necessary camera and computer equipment.  Oh, yes -- we'd have to get 110VAC out to the tower.  We could easily use today's kind of two-way link to get the commands to it and the video back from it.

With such a bit of kit in place we'd all be able to see quite a way onto the salt.  Sure, a closer mounting location would be nice, but the tower has many advantages including easy access and height and vandalism protection.

Who's interested in spearheading this project? :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
I have suggested that sort of thing in the past. Would be happy to chip in some $ toward the camera.
One other alternate camera location would be to see if arrangements could be made to put it on top of the water tanks behind and just north east of the salt flats cafe.

Below a snip from google maps street view of the tanks I am thinking of. I think they have ladder access on the tanks, and presume power would be available.

Offline POPS

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
The Flashpoint guys will design, fabricate and donate the enclosure / mount for the camera. Along with the camera we should also include a weather station! We think y'all have great idea. 

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
  Maybe solar powered like the highway construction lights. Doubt the camera pulls much current or the transmitter. I'm in for it whatever is decided.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
I (Blackhorsephoto) have already committed to donating $250 towards the initial hardware costs. I strongly support the idea of a remote weather station near the track location.
With a tipping bucket rain gauge we could eliminate a lot of guessing about how much precip fell on the salt (of course there is no cure for the fact you can't measure it actually on the course).

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
The only drawback I could forecast for the solar powered device is that it might not have enough reserve capacity to keep the enclosure warm enough for the camera to function correctly during cold times - especially at night.

As for the tanks behind the gas station -- yeah, those'd probably be fine.  The blinking light tower had power going to it in the past -- to make the light flash.  I don't know if it still does.  I'm sure you're right that it'd be very easy to get power to the top of the tanks, and that they'd be high enough above ground level to show some worthwhile information.  Weather station with a tipping bucket?  Great idea even if, indeed, the rain gauge wouldn't be on the salt per se.  It's still give some information that can be useful.

I guess now that I've put my foot in my mouth that I'd best start working up some kind of equipment list and costs.  I'll get with Mike Crawford, too, even though way out there is not his (city) property, I assume.  But he's in the know enough that maybe he can point me to some wheels that would need greasing. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
For warmth you can put a small low watt light bulb inside the enclosure (sort of like the ovens they use in electronics equipment) does not take much power to hold above minimum operating temperature. I suspect most outdoor video cameras are rated to near 0 deg F or so. As you mention would need a gell cell battery in parallel with the solar panel. Might touch base with the NWS who I believe owns the camera near the port of entry to find out what their experience (power consumption demand) etc is.

Would need a good quality sealed solar panel like those sold by West Marine for use on sail boats in a salt water environment. Except for little things like mounting brackets (stainless steel) and other one off items for the mount, most should be off the shelf stuff. Another option would be a wide view (similar to a go-pro) fixed view point camera that only updates like once every 5 minutes with a field of view that would include the bend to lands end, and then a good 1080P zoom-able panning outdoor camera that could be controlled by a few people to zoom out and get good images of the boat ramp area without becoming a pistol target for bone heads.