Author Topic: Speed Demon Crash footage  (Read 26902 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Speed Demon Crash footage
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
George said it was driver error. As quick as it happened it's hard to think anyone else driving would have not been in that situation.

I think ANY race car should have a gyro/accelerometer shut off. If you are sideways in the very smallest amount the run is over anyway.
I have been working with quadcopter software for the last 5 years and the modules are $50. Latency is virtually nill.
You can debate how much yaw should be allowed before triggering. I don't think pitch and roll need much debate.

Did you notice how quickly the canopy distorted and disappeared? Nothing like a 300 mile per hour breeze from the side.

I had assumed that there was some pretty sophisticated traction control on the Speed Demon. Watching previous runs (Thanks to the team and Replay XD1080 for posting more video than any other team!) The acceleration and shifting alwas looked really smooth. Even a great driver like George Poteet couldn't be that smooth, I thought.

Watching this run was way different. There is clear wheel spin all through the run. If you didn't do it before, watch it again and click the HD button. Turn the sound up and listen. I think that if George is referring to driver error it's that the wheel spin early in the run may have been the warning.

NOTE: This is all Monday Morning Quarterbacking so that we can all have something to think about. I think the Speed Demon time is the best on the planet.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline joea

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
some have the type of character George has, some leader (s) rarely or never take that level
of responsibility

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
If you watch "Something evil this way comes" at 2.57 George moves his right hand off the wheel and slightly down to the right to deploy the chute.
Also in that video Ron stated that the car does wheelspin at 380, I think.

If you look at the black line of tach on the dash at 58 to 60 sec it jumps up in rpm at time of crash. The data recorder will show if increased rpms and wheel spin where from extra throttle or loss of traction from course conditions.

New Speed Demon with tandem rear axels?

JL222
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:20:23 PM by jl222 »

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
I've read these comments both here an other places and most of you must not know Mike Cook or George Poteet. They are some of the most honest, nicest people I know. Mike would never allow anything to be posted to his site under any condition that was not approved, period end of story. George Poteet is another of those same people. He could have kept it all to himself and his team but that's just not George. He is all about helping all who race on the salt, and I'm sure posting his crash, he felt was in the best interest of helping people understand just what can, and does happen. It's there so we can all look it over and learn from it. The Poteet and Main team are the best this sport has to offer and the rest of us can only hope to be as good and nice as they are.

Our team was lucky enough to be pitted next to them a few years back at the Cook Shoot Out when we broke the FIA record for our class. The car rolled into the pits and had some damage after the first leg of the record run. Mike Cook was one of the first there giving us a time line we had to get it turned around and asking if he could help in anyway. George and Ron were right behind Mike offering anything they could do to help us get things fixed, checked and the car turned around for the second run. We had minor body damage due to the exhaust burning the glass body around the exit. Well, as we started to take it apart George walked back to his pit pulled his entire crew off his car and sent them all over to help. I can assure you all that without there help we would not have been able to get it done in time. Well not only are we all fixed and back on the track with spare time but then, it gets worse. As the car comes of the push bumper of the push truck the turbo's hit hard and spun the tires and here goes the liner round and round off the track! We get very lucky and it stayed upright and on all fours, tires are fine. I get to the car and the drivers telling me push me back, have we got enough time? By the time I look up here comes Ron, George and the whole Speed Demon crew to help us again. As were pushing the car by hand back out of the junk salt to get it to where the salt is good enough for the push truck not to sink in, Mike Cook there asking what are we going to do. When we tell him were still going to make the backup run he gets on the radio and makes sure to get his entire crew back into place so if there is time left we can make a run. Again the Speed Demon crew helps us go over the car quickly and does it running along side as were pushing it back out of the junk salt and back to the starting line.

Well the fact that we have the class record pretty much let's you all know we made it in time but, without the commitment of Mike Cook, Ron Main and George Poteet we wouldn't. These guys are there to help improve the sport and enjoy it for themselves as well along the way and my hats off to each and every one of them.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
Roger that, Steve.  I remember very well the incident when the car spun as Curt got a bit too hard on the throttle (I've got it on video in the other 'puter), but more to the point -- I remember all of the stuff that the Poteet and Main crew did to help out.  I've told the story dozens of times as an example of what goodwill and interest in helping there is among land speed racers.

It was quite a sight to see all of those black t-shirts and jeans folks running to get the car ready again.  And yes, I do remember Mike getting to work on the 'glass around the exhaust.  I've probably got images of that, too.

All for one, one for all. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
I've raced for a lot of years and I had never had that amount of people just be there to help us get the record. Dropped what they were doing just to help, when they didn't have too. I only meant Ron and George the year before so it wasn't like I knew them well. I have known there engine builder for years and Kenny and I are good friends. They were unlucky the year before and had a fire that burned the car. Kenny came over and asked if I could glass there body up for them and I did the best I could for them with what little materials I had along after fixing our car that year. All I know is that we could not ask for better guys in Mike Cook, Ron Main and George Poteet to be there to help and represent LSR. When we got the record I'm not sure that they were not just as happy about it as we were. I can never forget Mike telling the FIA official they made it, with less than 30 seconds still on the clock!

I just had to say something when I read about people that would question if it was OK for one of those guys to put something up as Mike did. There is just no way in hell it would ever happen, if there wasn't permission!

Slim would love a copy of the infamous spin if I could get a copy of it from you. While it's one I will never forget it would be nice to have a copy of it.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »
Sumner commented on the attempt by George to release the parachutes. There are two parachutes, each released by a separate red knob. One is to the right of the steering wheel and the other to the left of the steering wheel. Before closing the cockpit, a crew member snipped the wire ties which prevent accidental release before George is strapped in. George reached with his right hand to activate the right hand red knob, then reached over to activate the left hand red knob. Compared to other film of the Speed Demon, neither knob appeared to pivot forward like is normally seen. The rear view camera did not show either parachute deploying. Did something prevent the parachutes deploying properly or were they just out of view in the film? In the still photos, the two parachutes appear to be lying beneath the Speed Demon as it lies on its side. That would indicate they left the canisters, but were trapped under the car in the ensuing rolling (and spinning?). If the parachutes were inflated behind the Speed Demon, they would not prevent "pencil rolling", but should have prevented spinning. Perhaps the Speed Demon rotated while on its side as it slowed down. :? :?
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
.... The rear view camera did not show either parachute deploying. Did something prevent the parachutes deploying properly or were they just out of view in the film? ...

At 1:14 you can see a pilot chute.  Did it just come out or like you mentioned had it come out earlier and was entangled with the car??  My guess would be that it just released at that point.  Car damage could of caused the release possibly?

This was only about 2 seconds before the car came to a final rest,

Sum

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
I've read these comments both here an other places and most of you must not know Mike Cook or George Poteet. They are some of the most honest, nicest people I know. Mike would never allow anything to be posted to his site under any condition that was not approved, period end of story. George Poteet is another of those same people. He could have kept it all to himself and his team but that's just not George. He is all about helping all who race on the salt, and I'm sure posting his crash, he felt was in the best interest of helping people understand just what can, and does happen. It's there so we can all look it over and learn from it. The Poteet and Main team are the best this sport has to offer and the rest of us can only hope to be as good and nice as they are.

Our team was lucky enough to be pitted next to them a few years back at the Cook Shoot Out when we broke the FIA record for our class. The car rolled into the pits and had some damage after the first leg of the record run. Mike Cook was one of the first there giving us a time line we had to get it turned around and asking if he could help in anyway. George and Ron were right behind Mike offering anything they could do to help us get things fixed, checked and the car turned around for the second run. We had minor body damage due to the exhaust burning the glass body around the exit. Well, as we started to take it apart George walked back to his pit pulled his entire crew off his car and sent them all over to help. I can assure you all that without there help we would not have been able to get it done in time. Well not only are we all fixed and back on the track with spare time but then, it gets worse. As the car comes of the push bumper of the push truck the turbo's hit hard and spun the tires and here goes the liner round and round off the track! We get very lucky and it stayed upright and on all fours, tires are fine. I get to the car and the drivers telling me push me back, have we got enough time? By the time I look up here comes Ron, George and the whole Speed Demon crew to help us again. As were pushing the car by hand back out of the junk salt to get it to where the salt is good enough for the push truck not to sink in, Mike Cook there asking what are we going to do. When we tell him were still going to make the backup run he gets on the radio and makes sure to get his entire crew back into place so if there is time left we can make a run. Again the Speed Demon crew helps us go over the car quickly and does it running along side as were pushing it back out of the junk salt and back to the starting line.

Well the fact that we have the class record pretty much let's you all know we made it in time but, without the commitment of Mike Cook, Ron Main and George Poteet we wouldn't. These guys are there to help improve the sport and enjoy it for themselves as well along the way and my hats off to each and every one of them.

Steve,

I had strong suspicions that Mike, Ron and George were men of good character. Thank you sharing.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »
In my photography of other incidents I have seen several occasions where the driver put the chute out as he started to spin but all the spoiled air flow caused by the sideways car, just makes the chute sort of follow the car like a lost puppy instead of inflating right away. Many times if the car goes all the way around it does wrap up the chute lines.

I would not be a bit surprised is a similar situation developed for George. Hard to get the chute out into clean air under those conditions.

If the chute is on a long tether it can slide on the ground for a long time before it inflates properly if the air flow is spoiled

http://blackhorsephoto.net/car_tech_chutes/chute_drag_slow_inflation_DSC_4979.jpg

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
  I've always said that once the car gets about 15deg. off of center, you are no longer a driver, only a passenger.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]