Author Topic: Speed Demon Crash footage  (Read 26859 times)

velocity

Speed Demon Crash footage
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »
In car camera video with views fore and aft of the Speed Demon crash. At 58 seconds into the run it goes from AOK steady to near instantaneous unraveling in 2 seconds. . . May God Bless the designers and fabricators.

https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS?ref=hl

From Cook's website:

The accompanying videos of the 370 mph crash that George Poteet walked away from provide ample testimony to the extraordinary quality of car construction and crew preparation that comprise the Speed Demon operation. At Mike Cook's Bonneville Shootout, everyone rolls as soon as the car passes. Crew and professional emergency vehicles were on top of the crash in less than 15 seconds. Unless you see this first hand it is difficult to comprehend the fine line between record speeds and disaster. George places great confidence in these people and they all delivered. Video courtesy of ARP and Speed Demon. — at Bonneville Salt Flats Utah.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:44:36 AM by velocity »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Speed Demon Crash footage
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
Wow...glad he is OK!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »
Thanks. :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »
Thanks  :-)

It looked like he had a lot of wheel into it and then realized he needed to get the chute out and looked like he did that (if that was what the hand movement to the right was) but it didn't look like the chute ever deployed until the car was almost stopped??

I lost count of how many times the car rolled but it looked like a lot.  As the others have said the car was well built and thankfully George is ok.  You can't ask for more than that,

Sumner

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
Thank you. That type of clip is a rare thing to see. They were on that crash fast!

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
Rich Manchen should be commended for building an outstanding chassis that George walked away from. Rich is a great welder and fabricator and knows how to build chassis. Good job Rich. :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
I hope that red button on the wheel was the chute.  This video demonstrates how fast things go to shit in one of these cars. Hopefully this will help everyone see the need to have hands on wheel chute actuation. 
George, glad to see you are OK, we are fortunate folks...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
Wow, my blood pressure drops 20% watching that. Fantastic chassis engineering and construction. Not that many pencil rolls considering the speed.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »
I hope that red button on the wheel was the chute.  This video demonstrates how fast things go to Subaru in one of these cars. Hopefully this will help everyone see the need to have hands on wheel chute actuation.

Looking at it again I think you are right and the chute release might be the red button to the left.  I saw his right hand go right but looking at it again it looks like that was an instinct reaction to grab a hold of something as the car started to go over.

Looking at the rear-view video I still never saw a chute until the very end.  Might be wise to have one that activates on its own like what I think is required on a bike streamliner.  I might consider that myself,

Sum

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 02:06:40 PM »
I have to wonder if George gave permission for these videos to be posted for everyone's viewing enjoyment. Some how i doubt it.  :?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
I have to wonder if George gave permission for these videos to be posted for everyone's viewing enjoyment. Some how i doubt it.  :?

Since they were released on Cook's site I'll bet they were OKed for release.  This is stuff that could save lives in the future, like our discussion on getting to the chute release and making sure we don't get body parts outside the cage area.

I hope he did realize the safety benefit of letting others view the videos and thank them for releasing them if they did,

Sumner

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
Some how i doubt if he ok'd it. Just my 2 cents.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
"Video courtesy of ARP and Speed Demon."

But you could be right.  :roll:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »
I posted this same comment on the Speed Demon book topic.  I want to make sure that I get my two cents in as one who was sort of there when he got on his head.  I wasn't really "there" -- I was at the 5 1/2 at the timing tower.  Alan Rice was with me, of course, and watching the run through binoculars, so he saw way more than I did.  I saw big clouds of salt dust - he saw body panels flying off the car.  So to my post:

In re: the Speed Demon crash --

No, George wasn't fine.  I noticed a couple of very light black-and-blue bruises on his arms as he sat at the autograph table, signing zillions of Speed Demon "hero cards" (as the cards showing whatever race car and driver and the basic statistics).  :roll:  Unfortunately I didn't get any.  I wanted one for our collection and one to auction off on landracing.com's Forum -- but the waiting line was too long and I had to get back to the tower to continue the streaming.

But was George okay?  Well, if he could hang around and joke and smile and sign and even shake hands -- pretty danged good is my official diagnosis.

More power to him, the car, the crew, and especially the safety workers.  I've seen them chase down all sorts of vehicles - and the effort the expended to get to George was amazing.  by the way -- the nearest course watcher reported that George was out of the car and walking before Kirk and the rest of the safety/fire folks got there.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
That's like when I recently crashed my bike at BMST at over 200 mph. Broken shoulder, two broken fingers, severe burns on arms and legs, bruises, sore everywhere. People said "Well I'm glad you are OK! I am? Huhhh?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer