Author Topic: Is my belt too long?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Is my belt too long?
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »
Diligently working away and due to a lack of mounting options mounted my oil pump as shown.

I'm a bit concerned about the length of the belt. Anybody with more experience than I have any input?

I was thinking about putting an idler pulley on the bottom side of the belt to keep it from slapping.  Suggestions?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Is my belt too long?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »
I would rather see it mounted low on the other side of the engine. The belt would be shorter and the pumps wouldn't be drawing the oil up hill whether from the pan or the tank. The pumps always have a much greater advantage on the pressure side than the suction side.

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
I agree PJ, but real estate on that side of the engine is at a premium. Any good place for the pump on the left side is already taken by the header, engine mounts, or the frame rail. I tried quite a few different configurations (including a mount off of the left frame rail) and I believe this is the best option. I have an accumulator in the system to help with oil pressure at start up. I will also be running a four gallon tank very close to the pump. The upper 2/3 of the tank is a quite a bit higher than the pump as well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:30:45 AM by lsrjunkie »
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
Here is my setup. The engine is a Chevy II with a standard Barnes midget drive. My frame rail is very close but my exhaust comes straight out the side not down. YMMV
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
jd, Thanks for the pic. The relationship of the pump to the block looks the same, but you are dead on about the exhaust. the header pipe for #1 cylinder on my engine would go right through the middle of the pump.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
Mount it backwards. The pump doesn't care or know......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro