Author Topic: Group in UK talking about emulating Burt Monroes land speed record  (Read 35320 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Group in UK talking about emulating Burt Monroes land speed record
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
Did that thing go 184 as a flathead? Or was it an OHV converted engine? If you tack on Antique category, won't that add another 130 new classes to the 768 MC classes that already exist?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
Rich -- I seldom disagree with you -- but I think your number is low.  It's at least 4 digits.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
Well i knew it was a lot. Didn't really want to count them.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
Did that thing go 184 as a flathead? Or was it an OHV converted engine? If you tack on Antique category, won't that add another 130 new classes to the 768 MC classes that already exist?

It was a home brewed conversion to OHV.   768 classes to choose from and they choose Burt's record.   Why?   To me its just to be able to say we broke Burt's record with a new engine in a computer designed streamliner.  Whoop de friggin do.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Freud

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Right On, Nortonist !!

FREUD
Since '63

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »
Burt's legend will live on no mater what happens to the record. He was pretty much only a Kiwi legend until the movie came out, then he went global & that would eventually make his record a target as all prominent records become.
I don't think there is much of a ride to be had on his coat tails here, Burt will still be Burt.
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »
Right On, Nortonist !!

FREUD
Bah. Humbug.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
There's a Hysterical Monument at the cat-house on Hwy. 93 -- oh well, never mind, that's the movie.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2014, 01:05:52 AM »
Rich......that's why each slice of bread has two sides.

I'll buy breakfast for anytime we meet.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
Burt's record should be 1000 S-VPF so maybe the first thing that should happen is the SCTA should put his record in the proper modern class.  The same was done for Dave Campos' records years ago.
Any modern effort will be a comparison of apples and oranges, the rules have changed... dramatically...

Stainless has got it right except that I think Burt's class would be just PF.  While Burt's motor started out as 1920 Indian Scout, his OHV conversion would move it out of vintage and into regular pushrod fuel (I think). 

Anyways, what sense of accomplishment would you have taking this record using a modern engine in a bike designed using the latest CFD technology?  Burt's body was based off of the shape of a gold fish he saw in a pond.  Sure Burt's record may currently reside under 1000SF but it isn't a 1000SF by today's standards which is what these guys are building their bike to.  Honestly, they should be a little embarrassed to say something like "47 years is simply too long for this record to stand" because they literally have no idea that what they're building doesn't compare to what they're racing against.

Burt's bike is probably somewhere between APS and S and the current (from 2012 rule book) APS-1000PF record is 169.770.  If it was decided that his bike is still a streamliner then it's conceivable that his speed would move over to 1000 SPF which is currently open.         
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
And that is what I was talking about the record class he ran in, no longer exists.

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »
I think this situation raises a few issues.

One is about Burt Munro's Record the other is about resetting the SF1000 Record.

I think that Burt's Record, set as per the Rules in 1967 needs to be on the Books somewhere ..... Why because of the Performance he achieved with the resources he had ... it is part of Land Speed Racing History ....

the thing is as many have already said Burt's Bike no longer fits into the Rules in 2014 ......

and this has happened because as the Rules change and the existing Record Holder still maintains the Record ..... not just Burt ....

I am not talking about Technology I am talking about the Rules changing ....

Maybe a Rule Submission needs to be put forward to address this? Something like a Retired Records section in the Rule Book?

Then Burt's Record, and anyone else's for that matter, can be Honoured and Documented in a Retired Records Section. The Class Record under the updated Rules becomes open again and, like SF 1000 in this case, can be reset according to updated Rules that don't accommodate the previous Record Holders Vehicle .....

I am not talking about the case when a Class is changed in a way that allows new modifications. Only when the updates makes previous Class Compliant Vehicles no longer compliant .......

That way the People that create our History are there for all to see and our Sport can also move forward to create tomorrows History ....

Pete  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:57:43 PM by SaltPeter »
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
I think that Burt's Record, set as per the Rules in 1967 needs to be on the Books somewhere ..... Why because of the Performance he achieved with the resources he had ... it is part of Land Speed Racing History ....
Then he should be in the Land Speed Hall of Fame.  Why isn't he?

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
Burt Munro is in both the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame and the Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member