Author Topic: Group in UK talking about emulating Burt Monroes land speed record  (Read 35386 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Group in UK talking about emulating Burt Monroes land speed record
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »
I believe that is the name of the game. Many records set by many great men have already been broken with not much concern given. Eyston, Campbell, Cobb, Jenkins... Just a few names that come to mind.

What Burt did so many years ago is amazing, and in my mind, that feat is what epitomizes our sport.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
From their Facebook page:

"Project Velocity is proud to announce the name of its streamliner! It will be called 'BURT MUNRO – 184.087 MPH'. After discussing the name of the bike with Burt’s son John Munro he agreed it was a fitting way to pay tribute to his father and ensure his name stayed in the record books. In fact, we would like to encourage other competitors to challenge the record and also name their bike after Munro including his record in the title of their bike to keep his spirit on the salt alive."

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »
There are folks that would think that going after Burt's record would be like shooting   "John Wayne ".
I would have to say if that in fact  happened, the SCTA should take a look at Burt's record to see if it fit in a more modern class designation, ie " SPF" for example.
Most of the old school folks I know that run pushrod engines, would never want to shoot "John Wayne ".
Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline joea

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
interesting that the post about "new" name for velocity liner, popped up during this discussion here on LR, ie 4 hrs ago

very cool that they met with Burts son John...yesterday...

Rouse...careful what you wish for....

perhaps Motus could help sponsor them...?

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
Unless this team are very clever with their design, a "full fairing streamliner" of the style of the Burt Munro Indian bike will not even get past technical inspection for any of the scheduled Bonneville meetings.

A modern partial streamlined shape would not do justice to a bid which appears to want to pay hommage to Burt. Perhaps some reworking of the project is needed before getting to Bonneville at the expense of funders who do not understand what can be built and raced on the salt
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
One of the highlights of my racing life is to be listed in the AMA record book for a few short years one the same page as B. Munro.  No more people will have that pleasure if the record is gone.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »
Joe A and Freud have it right.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 01:44:16 AM »
As I said elsewhere go break the record.  Its there for the taking.  Any modern engine in a streamliner can shatter Burt's record.  Yes, I said Burt's record.  There are 1000s of other records to go for.  Leave Burt's alone.  They are calling it "BURT MUNRO-184.087"?   184 from a modern liter bike in a cigar?  Really?    You can buy a liter bike off the dealers showroom that will do 184.  If they are going to do any justice they need to make it 284.087.  Anything less would be an insult.  Normally I will wish racers with a "dream" the best of luck.  Not in this case. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
Years of struggling to get speed and being only able to obtain it in small increments, after spending lots of effort and money, makes Burt's record seem more and more incredible.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
One of these engines using methanol is close to what Burt Munro used. www.cameronracingengines.com/esite/P3021/product

Offline joea

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
Wobbly did you read the team/project info..?  they are NOT trying to do it like Burt
they are going about it in modern day state of the art manner.....

nortonist, thats the name they chose for the liner, not the goal, so as to try to ensure the keep
the Original Burt Munro Name and record in the record book....

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »
I thought the JAP was modern. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
OK, we all know a modern effort at the 1000 S-F or S-G record should result in records well over 200 MPH...
Burt's record should be 1000 S-VPF so maybe the first thing that should happen is the SCTA should put his record in the proper modern class.  The same was done for Dave Campos' records years ago.
Any modern effort will be a comparison of apples and oranges, the rules have changed... dramatically...

All records are subject to being broken, even Burt's, Open 1000 bikes have gone faster, I guess we will see how it all pans out  :|

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
If the aforementioned project involves a pushrod engine the class would be SPF1000. 

Swift33

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
Ok , you need to ask yourself "why would anyone want to go for burts record "

I think all of us until now had the assumption it was "an unwritten rule " sort of gentlemans agreement that the record would be left alone.

By going for this record they realise it will create a big debate wether it be good or bad , so one can assume they are just doing it for the publicity and fame . By causing a response from us it is playing into their hands.

Probably the best defence of burts record is silence !! I for one would like it left alone .

Just my thoughts gents , you can make your own conclusion .