Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171355 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2014, 06:35:40 PM »
Well, I think IO'm done with streaming -- because I can't keep the Jetpack wi-fi thingie going continuously.  As for the event -- after our afternoon nappie time the Big Red Camaro is about to run, they tell us.  They say the car is about 15 miniutes from making a run from the 3 to the 6 - so it can get a real time.  But then, after that 15-minute warning -- we hear the car is still in the pit and they're still packing the chute.  Stay tuned -- but don't worry about missing much.  And no, I don't plan to fire up the audio stream for the single run.  No word on the Stude running again today.

Why am I guessing that this might turn into the last day of the event?  It's only my guess - and I'm not trying to be negative.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »
The Stude won't run today, and the way I heard it implies that it might run tomorrow.  That's my implication - nothing official.

El Mirage is done for today.  77 entries, Keith Black (Heather's brother) ran a 212 on a 210 minimum and got his merlot-colored hat (don't know what vehicle, sorry).  Some records, lots of fun, way too hot for my tastes (I heard something like 105F.)  Hot Nancy is what I like -- not hot thermometer. :evil:

The Camaro is being moved tot he three, where he'll start.  The driver isn't suited up yet, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »
I've lost track - who's leading the Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
Eva Hakansson's 270+ is still the top speed of the meet -- and likely to remain so.

Big Red Camaro is starting the engine -- has not left the line yet.

Now the car is under way.

The camera crew is moving ahead of the car.

228.041 exit

mile  221.877

To explain, first remember that this car has spent all of the meet getting video for some reason.  Cameras strapped on the car, cameras along the track, etc.  This time the camera car had the cameras strapped to the roof and said car left before the race car.  The race car chased, so to speak, the camera car.  I expect the video would be cool, although the race car didn't quite catch the cameras 'til well after the end of the mile and the chute was out.  Hope that was all they wanted.

Alan Rice is unlocking the salt as I type and we don't know if Big Red will run again today.  I doubt it -- too long turnaround for the Camaro.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:00:16 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
That's it for today.  No decision on when to start tomorrow.  Maybe by the time we shut down and clean up and meander down to the pits -- maybe then we'll have a time.  Check here later.  TTFN.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »
It's bed time in Wendover and there's not much to report about tomorrow.  Only two vehicles remain.  The Studebaker's second engine was being installed as I walked to their pit (the first one was sitting on the tarp next to the car, evidently expired).  They hope to have it running by noon or so.  The Big Red Camaro should still be ready to run.  And that's it.  The Ack Attack bike is done for the event.  Interesting story here.

Mike A. took about ten minutes to explain the issue that they're having.  Basically - the tune up is acting goofy.  Rocky's first pass used about 50% throttle, ran strong, and went 310 in 4th gear.  It was his first real run in the bike since '10.  But on the next pass he ran it up at about half throttle again, and when twisting the grip for more the motors just laid down as the turbos spun up.  Way too lean.  In the pit they looked at data and spark plugs and decided to add 20% fuel to the map.  Same result -- strong until the boost climbs, then lean.  At least it was better, but it was shaking with detonation so Rocky aborted the run.  Added 10% more fuel and got - basically the same thing.

The motors ran great on the dyno.  The engines were fine in the shop.  But (big but here) after all the static tests the engines were torn down for cleaning and maintenance and the injectors were pulled out and sent to an injector shop that the team uses for cleaning.  When the injectors were shipped back they were put straightaway into the engines.  And this event is the first time it's been run in anger since then.

Thinking it might be the MoTeC they fiddled with it.  Ian Mann, the MoTeC guy from the Speed Demon team, went over and spent a bunch of time working with them on the unit.  Still found nothing to indicate any fault except the weird lean condition.  The final thought is that the wrong injectors were shipped back and they're running at pretty much 100% at low or no boost, and when the boost builds -- they don't have the capacity to provide enough fuel.  They visually are the same - and nothing had been done upon receipt from the shop to test them.  Who thought that they might have needed a flow test?  Good thing they found the hassle now - instead of at an FIM meet.  This was, for them at least, a test and tune.

That's enough.  We'll plan on being out there around 9 Wendover time in the morning, but don't be surprised if there's nothing going on.  Maybe I'll have the time to make the fricking streaming audio wi-fi jetpack work right.

G'night. 8-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
It's a quarter after 10 on a Monday morning at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  Big Red Camaro is about to become the first vehicle to run today.  The helicopter is in the air, the camera crews are in position on the salt and in the mobile rigs, there is a camera taping Alan in the timing stand -- oh, yeah, and the car is moving.

Smoke coming out by the time he got to about the 3 1/2, lotsa smoke at the 4 1/2, chute out at the five, fire and ambulance are on him.

Car is stopped about a quarter mile before the 6, helicopter is landing, Junior reports all seems okay.  The car did not go through the lights so no speed.  I'd guess he was near 200 when the smoke started coming out.

Junior now has called for a course sweep.  There a couple of big holes in the pan.

Nothing much more now.  I'm going to hazard the guess that the Big Red Camaro is done for the event, leaving only the Studebaker to run.  I'll fill you in once I know.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:28:17 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Thanks Jon,,,,,,and good morning. Mark.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »
The course sweep has yielded what might have caused Big Red to oil down the track.  A piston pin and part of a rod showed up on the salt.  There were no airplanes flying over at that time -- so it might have been from Big Red.

The Studebaker engine is running in the pit just now.  We're down to it as the only car still running.  No idea when the Stude will run - but at least they've got a motor spinning under it's own power.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »

I remember when my drive shaft broke in 2011. The track spotter at the tree mile pulled up and asked me if I dropped any parts on the track. I said I don't know, but it sure sounded like I did at about 2 1/4. In the end both sections of the drive shaft were still on the car but the racket from the 16" differential end spinning and cutting the sheet metal floor up sure sounded like running over engine parts.

Big Red got stopped ok and that's all that matters.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
It's not over yet.  The Studebaker/Stupidbaker/Beautiful Baker is on the track at about the 2 3/4 and moving into position for a run in about 15 minutes or so.  Also on the track is a pair of school buses with about 100 students.  They'll make a run down the track and get timing certificates (one per bus) as souvenirs.  They can make their own copies for each kid.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
The Studebaker is running, course is locked down and clear -- car may run when ready.

Car is under way.

Into the timed mile -- slowing down in the mile.  160 in the mile, 146 exit.

Helicopter flew over on a diagonal -- too dang noisy - couldn't hear the engine of the car.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:59:08 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
It's not over yet.  The Studebaker/Stupidbaker/Beautiful Baker is on the track at about the 2 3/4 and moving into position for a run in about 15 minutes or so.  Also on the track is a pair of school buses with about 100 students.  They'll make a run down the track and get timing certificates (one per bus) as souvenirs.  They can make their own copies for each kid.

......and, queue the circus music!
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
The buses just went through the lights.  I wonder if I should jeopardize the driver's jobs by reporting how fast they went?

They would not have got a ticket on some roads. . . :roll:

The buses stopped here at the timing stand and got their certs.  Mike Cook handed them to the drivers and talked with the kids.  Gabriel Uttley was riding in one of the buses, and Eva Hakansson in one, and a few other racers.  I took some photos so the kids could show their parents that they'd really been out here.

I also have just this one shot for the kids to show Mom and Dad and everyone else -- Eva, in her bike, after her 270+ run.  I thought the kids would get a kick out of saying that "she sat in our bus and talked with us".
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:57:32 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2014, 03:58:29 PM »
Studebaker #9913 is running - about to leave the line.  Starting around the 2 1/2, I think, and going through the lights for a good speed (isn't that what we all try?).

Car is under way.

Car is slowing around the 3 1/2 -- shifting back down.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com