Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171392 times)

Offline bigdaddyusmc

Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
Are you off the air for the night?????  Wanted to hear if the Baggo bike ran for a time....
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
Yup -- we're done.  The bike did not make a second run. 

No starting time for the morning yet - I'll have to let you know once I know.  C U later, and thanks for listening, reading -- and donating. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
Thanks , It is what it is.... We were there to get some film taken , not a time ... But it would have been nice to get a number , it has been 2 years since we gotten a timing slip on the bike,,,

Looks like I started a donation drive with my comment...  , .... Do I get a % of what was donated LOL
Talk at you tomorrow,,, Will be on all day again. That is our last day before our rider has to fly out , He has to be in Class to teach Monday morning...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »
Hey, BigDaddy.  No problemo if your rider has to leave -- I've got my leathers and helmet with me.  I'd be pleased to offer myself to ride the bike.  Seriously.  I'd love it.

And more important, ladies and gentlemen, I've got the Jetpack wi-fi thingie going again.  After some time with Verizon tech support (Katie, a young lady that sounded like American was her native language and didn't make me feel like a dumb jerk.  Thanks, Verizon and Katie) we decided that since it wouldn't reset when I pushed the reset button - to go to the very basic way to reset it.  I opened it and took the battery out for a few minutes.  Put the battery back in and -- viola!  It's working just fine.  In fact -- it had gone into limp mode before quitting altogether, going from a nice fast 4G down to a slow 3G status.  When it came back up a little while ago it's at the 4G again.  Wah-hoo, it's all good again.  Good thing, too -- my iPhone's monthly data limit is approaching fast and I don't know how to reset that from the phone.  Worse -- I don't remember the password to get me into my account so I can't change the data allowance.  I'll get billed at a stingingly high rate if I exceed without upping it before I hit 100%.

But anyway, back to the Top Speed Challenge for tomorrow/Sunday.  Start time has been decided to be at 9AM Wendover time.  I'm expecting that to be defined as 9AM racer time, which means it might be at nine, it might be at ten thirty, but sooner or later we'll get back to racing. 

The Ack Attack bike is in the transporter carrier at the start line and Mike says he's got the bike ready for Rocky to get on it hard first thing in the morning.  Today's run was aborted by pulling the chute a bit before Rocky got into the timed mile, and the rumor that I heard (and remember, this is a rumor not heard from anyone on the Ack team so I can't vouch for the veracity of it) is that it wasn't shifting both transmissions correctly.  He was moving at good speed before the problem occurred, too.  Bummer -- but there's always tomorrow.

Deep enough for tonight.  It's a bit past 9PM out here and I haven't eaten supper.  I think I'll go to that world famous restaurant a mile or so from here.  You know it -- the Burger le Roi.  See you tomorrow.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
THANKS, SSS.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
SLIM
Riding the BAGGO MYSTERY BIKE.....

That something you'll have to talk to BAGGO about... There is a reason my name is LAST on the gas tank... LOL

I have helped with almost every part of this bike  & I have never swung a leg over it.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Well -- it's morning at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  I think I've got the audio going - and Rocky is about to run.  Turn on your audio and enjoy the run.  I'll fill you in later on.

Rocky is under way from the zero.  

Chute out at the 4 1/2.   Slowing in the timed mile.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:46:16 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
Simon & Garfunkels "The Sounds of Silence" has been replaced by keyboard slamming.

I'm soooo happy.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
Facetious? Me?
Thanks for stopping typing during the run. Makes a big difference.
And GOOD MORNING to you.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »
The next vehicle to run will be the Big Red Camaro, wearing a number1.  It's going to run only to the 2 so we won't hear or see it.  Just letting you know.

The Ack bike had some tuning hassles with the MoTeC yesterday and this morning.  Ian Mann from the SD team joined the party with Mike A. and Ken Puccio, Ack crew chief, and they sorted it out a bit and left the tuneup about 10% fat - - nice and safe.  No idea why Rocky pulled the chute at the 4 1/2.

Dennis Mariani says they'll make a pass this morning starting from the 2 or so so the car will go through the lights -- they'll get a speed.  I'm thinking that this event is being used as a test and tune -- agree?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »
Next vehicle will be the #22 Mariani C/GS 'liner.  He'll start at the two and run down here and through the lights to get a speed. I don't think it'll be a WFO run -- but oughta be fast enough :-D.

The engine is running.

The car is under way.  Running from the 2 to the six.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »
Chute out before the three.  No speed data this time, either.  I don't know who's going to be next up.

The course is now unlocked.  Will advise when I hear anything.  Junior is heading to the pits to see if anyone is close to ready or has plans about when they'd run.

Now -- the donation story.  I mentioned this on the audio stream.  I've got a good supply of '14 Salt Talks t-shirts remaining and will be glad to send one (or more) to you.  The cost is $20 plus $6 shipping (US postal service) each.  If you want a shirt or two -- please make a donation of at least $26.  Using the Paypal button is easy, but you're also welcome to send it via mail to landracing.com, 509 Dukes Road, Skandia Michigan 49885.  Checks are fine -- as long as there's some money in your account :evil:.  Please:  when you send the donation I need to have your mailing address included, and also the size shirt you want.

I'll be shipping them once I'm back at home later on this week -- probably no sooner than Saturday.  Remember -- Minimum $26, your mailing address, your chosen shirt size.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:40:34 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
reading the notes here and on Facebook is confusing me....

I was told at the salt, there will be a 5 mile track with a 4 mile slow down...and a 132 feet timing....

now I'm reading that they time the speed over the mile - like the electric sidecar - and they run for license....

How this....is this now a other meet as they said on Wednesday??????????????????with different time light set up???
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Texican

« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Has the stream died again?

I was in the next room fixing brunch, and the noise stopped.
So we rebooted both modem and laptop; still crickets.
"She who must be obeyed" is getting real grumpy if I don't throw a piece of meat into her cage...

Now 11
11:04 MDST...  Kasey speaks from the grave.

If somebody was asking for C&W; KRCL features bluegrass and some country most of the PM on Sundays.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:07:11 PM by Texican »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
Pork Pie, this is a test and tune now, the shoot out is re scheduled for after the world finals. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah