Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171254 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Until we come up with a better title for the topic -- that one will have to do.  If the title needs to be changed I might be able to do it.

So tonight I went out to Land's End to see what I could see.  The transition from pavement to the salt is much less scary now that a bunch of salt has been dumped there.  The salt is soft salt -- not hard and crystallised like we're used to having, but it's okay to drive on.  I didn't go past the new salt, though, because the bumps and potholes and water-filled puddles will only get worse with traffic and I didn't need to go farther.

I could see signs of life way out there and will assume it's people setting up for the event.  The photos I took were not good enough -- but here's one that's okay.  This is what you'll see at the end of the pavement.

Let's see what else goes on about the meet.  Later - -
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:07:14 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 2club

• New folks
Re: Cook's Test & Tune 12-16 September 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:35 AM »
Slim,

In addition to the new salt laid down today to help repair the access road, we have also repaired the damaged course and set up the pit. We will be conducting business on the salt and helping participants get ready tomorrow. The rest of the participants are arriving tomorrow and a couple are delayed until Saturday. Racing will commence at 8am on Friday. Shootout entries will run and test and tune entries will also run the Lucas Mile for an average speed ad a terminal speed at the 5 mile. Interested parties are invited to check the facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS?ref=hl or the website at www.landspeedevents.com

We will be posting o facebook tomorrow with photos and we will try to post an interview with George Poteet from the pit in the afternoon.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »
I'll head out there in a while to see what I can see.  George wants to go 475 and has a couple of motors in the pit, and Mike and Rocky want to go 400.  I wonder what else I'll find. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Here I am at what'll be the pits tomorrow morning.  Mike Cook is dragging it so it'll dry hard.  Junior Cook is out polishing the start line area of the course.  Garcia tells me that there's 4 tenth's of a mile more beyond the start line this morning than there was yesterday - the drying is going that well.  I'd drive around and see for myself but think I'll avoid doing anything that'd farkle with the course.  So - progress.  I'll head out now and maybe come back out later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »
The mile past Lands End was a REAL challenge this past week.

GREAT opening foto, Slim.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
Thanks, Freud.  Better still -- the road was way better this morning.  I still went slowly -- but the potholes are much less scary.  To go on about what I saw earlier, Cook was dragging with the cutting drag, loosening the top layer to bring up enough to fill the holes and cut off the tops.  He was leaving windrows nearly a foot high, but that's what it's going to take to have enough material.  I didn't go to the course, as I said, but Junior's truck dragging the polishing drag was moving at slow speed - yet when he'd turn the drag swung way out.  That tells me that the surface is hard and smooth.  Sounds pretty good.

I'm planning on being out there in the morning when the fun begins, and I'll have the gear to try streaming the audio.  But - there isn't going to be a radio station so all that there might be would be me of Bill Guzenski telling you what we're seeing.  Seeing as how there might be long down times between runs I don't know if many of the folks in internetland will hang around the computer to hear, so maybe there will be audio - maybe it'll just be me making posts.  We'll see, okay?  If you think it's worth me trying to tell you when there's about to be action - let me know so I can plan on what I need to do for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Mike Cook's Land Speed Shootout
September 9 · Edited
Attention: Cook Shootout Postponed
to the pre-planned rain date of October 5-10.

The Cook team conducted an extensive evaluation of salt conditions early this morning and determine that they cannot guarantee a long enough course to conduct the high speed shootout on time. The first mile is fair, 2nd mile is bad, 3 to the 9 is good, 10 questionable and 11, 12 are bad. The weather is holding but the track is poor at the 2 and no good at the far end.

Because so much of the track is good in the middle Cook has decided to throw the current date open as a test & tune for racers who want to run without FIA timing on the shorter course that is still useable. Anyone who wants to run needs to call Mike Cook's cell phone immediately at 951 675-3070. We're taking a limited amount of cars at this point and some of the fast cars are staying on for testing. Among those already requesting to run are Poteet & Main Speed Demon, Ack Attack, the Mariani streamliner, Allan Johnson's Studebaker, RJ Gottleib's Big Red Camaro and others. The test and tune fee is a flat $2500 for a 5-mile course with terminal speed timing. If you still want to come we need to know ASAP.

Mike Cook's Land Speed Shootout
12 hours ago
A lot of misinformation is circulating about the shootout
. It is not raining here and the shootout is not canceled. We are running two shootouts and incorporating separate entrants to the Lucas Mile with the shootout vehicles. We spent today repairing the end of the paved road and setting up the pit. The course is prepped and ready to run. Today was a travel day for some of our crew. Tomorrow we plan to do a brief interview with George Poteet from the pit and we will be posting photos and updates starting about mid-day. If you did,'t see it here, it is probably incorrect. Check here tomorrow for the latest update. Ack attack arriving tomorrow and here is another entry that is on the way to the salt: the Bagnell Baggo Chenowth Racing
— with Jacob Bagnell.

I must admit I am confused by reading the posts on Cook's Facebook page. According to Cook's Facebook page, the Shootout is postponed until the rainout dates in Oct. and now less than 48 hour later they post that they are having two shootouts this year, and a test and tune included in the first event? How quickly things seem to change.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »
Tom, I agree that it's confusing.  I'm trying to offer up what I see, and I know that there's a lot of stress going around out there.  That's why I posted just a bit of information about the course and access road work that I saw going on this morning.  I'll stay away and wait for others to tell all of us what's what -- 'til I go out there again.

If you read a post here and you're not sure if it's correct information - well, that's the beauty/problem of this Forum.  I don't try to edit what is posted.  If I see something that I know is wrong I can correct it -- but as the "editor" I don't remove stuff that's wrong unless I see it as a liability that might bring legal issues.  I read 'em and let you folks do the same.  Ask me and I'll try to get the true scoop for you and the rest of us.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

velocity

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
to clear up confusion. . . .

The speed machines that will be running will do so for TIME ONLY there WILL NOT be any sanctioning for records at the "test and tune" about to start. Lucas Oil has jumped in with some trophies to recognize whatever numbers any of the machines might post, but be clear: no records.

Cook activated his rain dates of OCT 5-10 with the BLM and pushed the world record attempts to those dates.

The testing portion is a stop-gap for those racers who would like to shake-down their machines but do so KNOWING the course length has been foreshortened. This raises serious safety issues at both ends, especially for the motorcycle streamliners.

However, nothing any of us bench racers say means squat because the rider/driver makes the call to -- as Don Vesco would say -- "go or whoa."

I would NEVER second guess any of them at any time. Conditions may be improving, but they are certainly NOT primo.

I applaud Mike cook taking the financial, emotional and physical wallop to ensure the safety of all concerned.

Praying people are asked to beseech the Almighty for clear, hot weather. . .

LSL

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:18:07 PM »
Howdy from Wendover.  I've been out on the salt for the past hour or two - and didn't have the laptop with me.  I came back here to fetch it and will head out again in a couple of minutes.  In about 45 minutes the driver meeting will start and I'm thinking that maybe I can get the streaming system up and running so you all can hear it.  if nothing else Bill Guzenski says he'll record it and I can put the audio file up here later on.

In the meantime -- here's ow to find the latest stuff on the event.  Go to the Cook site via this link:

www.landspeedevents.com/blog    John Baechtel gave me that addy -- says it'll have the latest, including the correct name for what's going on.  Mike read it off to me -- but it's got enough details that I don't want to try to put it down from memory.  I'll enter it later and let you read it - and maybe even remember how to change the name of this entire topic.

I talked with most of the folks in the Speed Demon crew and also a few over at the Big Red Camaro's pit.  Those two are the only vehicles out there at the moment.  The plan is to start racing at 8 tomorrow morning, although in "racer time" that means more like 8.30 or 9.  But no matter what -- I'll head out there to give you as much information as I can.  Stay tuned -- wait 'til you see the sots of the course I took a little while ago.  If you were here for WoS - you won't believe it's the same bit of real estate.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »
No drivers meeting after all.  There are only two drivers here right now -- George Poteet and the fellow from the Big Red Camaro - whose name I don't yet have.  I'm heading back to town and will post the photos I've taken this afternoon.  Later -

Here are those shots.  A couple of that Big Red Camaro, whose owner/driver I still haven't met so don't know his name.  Nice looking car, but wait 'til you see the Moon discs he's got on it.

And a couple of the Speed Demon.  First of all -- a very busy engine room:

And then a bit of a nice touch.  As you know, the car has dual exhaust pipes coming up out of the area behind the motor.  Since they're pretty big it'd take something like a softball to keep 'em clean and closed when not running, so something had to be made.  Carbon fiber covers?  Yep -- here's a shot of one that also can be used as a hardware catcher when removing the body:

I'll head out there first thing in the morning.  As it stood when I left an hour or so ago, Bill Guzenski will make a pass through the lights first, at about 100, to make sure the timing lights and system are set up and running.  Then after he's clear of the track and everything is okay -- George will make his first pass of the event.  I'm not sure if I'll be in the timing tower or at the pits, but will try to have the sound on for you.  And if all works right, even if you're not up and listening -- the stuff is archived on the Meridix streaming company site -- so you'll be able to play back stuff.

I guess I'll mention here that Bill and I have hopes to have stuff like interviews with the various players - not only owners and drivers but also crew and workers and maybe even spectators (for instance, Malcolm UK is here) that are in attendance.  We might hang out in the timing tower if the Rice brothers will have us - and that's a fine place to watch the goings-on.  I'll do what I can to make sure you are there, too.  G'night.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:11:55 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »
Just rolled off the salt... Seems pretty hard and flat!

Slim, where ya stayin?  And where's dinner?

Kix
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »
Knight's Inn - and the Red Garter.  I'm holed up in the room now for the evening -- going to test out the streaming situation and make sure I can get it going without too much issue in the morning.  See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »
Slim,
do not forget that Gabe Uttley of the Angelic Bulldog streamliner project is in town too and would be only to pleased to tell all on landracing.com what 2015 could bring in the way of his and other UK contenders for the outright two wheel record. That's if the listeners can understand Yorkshire-English.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
No, I certainly won't forget Gabriel, seeing as how I sat near him this morning as he ate his breakfast.  It turns out we're staying at the same motel.  Sorry I didn't think to include him in my list of who's here yesterday.

I got out here around 7.30 - and as I got out of the car the van with the SD crew arrived.  They're busy setting up their pit -- but obviously it'll be a few minutes 'til they're ready.  The Stupidbaker is in the pit getting a morning shave and shower, so to speak.  The sunrise light isn't all that great for photo opportunities so I'll wait -- but it sure is a pretty car.  No Akatiff or Mariani yet, and Eva hasn't shown up with the Killajoule, either.  I expect all will roll in as the day progresses.  It's bright and clear and about 50F.  The pits must have got some more dragging after I left last night -- the surface looks smooth as a baby's butt, so to speak.

That's it for now.  I'll hope that there's something worth streaming, and I'll go to the home page and reset the link to the audio stream.  It'll be the same URL -- but I need to take down the "World of Speed" moniker and put up this event.  No matter what it says -- it's today's Top Speed Challenge you'll hear.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com