Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171224 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »
Eva just ran a 251.866.  Nice clean looking run, interesting whooosh as she went past.

255.914 exit speed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:01:18 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
Good for her, that's what she wanted. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
Awesome!  Doesn't that make her the fastest woman on two wheels?
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
3 wheels, Kix.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
I can attest that she was NOT "flying" the side wheel when she went past here -- so she was, indeed, on three wheels. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »

:cheers:  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline pdxracefan

• New folks
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
Beautiful sidecar.  Way to go Eva. :cheers:
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Great stuff Eva   8-) 8-)

Pete  :cheers: :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
Good for you Eva.  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
I mentioned this on the stream -- here it is on the Forum.

The #9913 Studebaker is going to make a couple of low speed runs to give the driver some set time.  He'll start around the four and go through the measured mile at relatively low speed.  He'll then go back, this time to the three, and make another run - faster this time, but not an all-out pass.

Eva is done for the day but will be back "first thing in the morning" to make a pass or three.

The Big Red Camaro wants to make another video pass yet today, this one from the north to the south.  It's just for the cameras - won't be all out.

And that'll be it for the day.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »
The engine is running in the Studebaker and the driver is about to leave the line.  It'll be a 125MPH pass, remember, so don't be waiting for a huge and satisfying roar as he goes past us.

Nice looking pass.  Through the 6, chute out.  137.081 mph
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline pdxracefan

• New folks
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »
Jon,

What time will the stream be up tomorrow?

Thanks.
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
If you're not listening you've missed the latest bit.  A car of unknown origin sped down the road between the track and the mountain, heading towards Floating Island.  He was going at major boogie speed and showed no signs of slowing as he passed the spectator viewing area.  About the seven he passed by the course worked that had rolled out to intercept him - and he kept going.  The FM radio was full of chatter about the car - and finally the course worker was advised to let the guy keep going.  If the worker got to the 8 1/2 he was to stop - and the unknown would stop whether he wanted to or not soon after that - when he got into the mud.

That was a few minutes ago and there's no sign of him at this time.  The Studebaker is waiting to run - but can't 'til he's given a "clear course". 

The Stude is running and about to move out, and the tower has cleared him to run even though we don't know where the interloper is.  All we know if where he isn't - that's on the track or anywhere the jerk could be a problem for the race car.  It's going to be limited to something around 150 or so. 

The tower reports the other car is so far down that he couldn't get back in time to be a problem.  Butthead. . . :evil:

Oh, yeah -- what time will we start tomorrow?  Well, I haven't heard anything form Cook but I assume it'll be the usual 8AM racer time start.  I'll find out and let you know later after I talk to Mike.  Here comes the Stude.

174.665 mph
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Let's see -- here's a wrap up of what I've just heard.  First of all -- tomorrow's start time is 9 AM, not 8.

George Poteet has a compressed disc and is resting comfortably at the hospital in SLC.  He is doing well enough that he apologised for farkling up the meet (my words).  He hopes to be back out here tomorrow to look at the car to see if he and the crew can get it back together in time for World Finals.  He says that he'd like to take the group out here to suppler tomorrow night.

In other stuff, Mike Akatiff and Rocky Robinson are on the salt and will take a ride down the course in the street vehicle in a few minutes, getting prepped for running tomorrow.  The Mariani streamliner is here and will also hope to run tomorrow.

And Alan wants to turn off the generator so I'll sign off for now and get back with you when I've got my power system up and running.  That might not be 'til I'm back at the motel.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
Two pictures (with more coming) of the crashed Speed Demon and more description on Mike Cook FB: https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!