Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171236 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
On 21 September the Shootout FB page said:

People are asking if we're still going to conduct a Shootout event on the October 5-10 rain date. It depends on the weather and how many teams still want to go. Cook will be on the salt next week to determine the feasibility. We will not hold it if we can't provide a long enough course, but it is NOT yet canceled. As the weather deteriorates we wish the SCTA all the best for the World Finals in one week, but we are looking at unpredictable weather. We are in touch with people and keeping an eye on the skies.

Offline tallguy

Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #301 on: September 25, 2014, 12:32:39 AM »
I just checked the weather forecast for the next 15 days or so at Wendover.

It looks pretty good.  Lots of sun and no rain for a few days in a row prior to
10/3 (allowing for dry salt to absorb a little rain if it happens on 10/3), then
lots of sunny days after 10/3.  I realize that a lot can change between now
and then, and I never TOTALLY trust the accuracy of weather forecasts.

With enough luck, the Shootout will happen and every racer there will have
a nice surface to run on. 

I'll keep checking and (occasionally) posting more updates of the forecast.

tallguy (in northern California)

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »
  I have found that the 10 day forecast is revised daily.  :wink
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline dw230

« Reply #303 on: September 25, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »
That is why it is called a weather prediction, not a weather certainty. Much like doctors who practice.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #304 on: September 25, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Right now it's 73F out there.  Here's what NOAA predicts (not promises) as of a bit before noon Wendover time today:

Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 64. Breezy, with a southeast wind 17 to 22 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.

Friday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Light and variable wind becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. South wind 8 to 14 mph becoming west after midnight.

Saturday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. North wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65.

Sunday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.

Monday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64.

Monday Night A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53.

This doesn't look like hot and dry weather to me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
Are you able to find 12 miles of usable salt in that report. LSR takes air and ground to be successful.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Are you able to find 12 miles of usable salt in that report. LSR takes air and ground to be successful.

DW

Define usable salt please. I think that some think that if it dry, it's usable and with all the water that's been standing on it along with the underground river that cuts across, its really cutting it close to hope IMHO there would be anymore good racing this year. Maybe it's mother natures way of trying to tell us it needs a break for awhile.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2014, 01:08:07 AM »
We had rain at the bike meet that closed the course.  The salt was sticky and damp afterwards.  I thought it would be lousy.  Some calculations were done when I got home and the tire growth/slippage coefficient was 0.98 during the run in the funkiest conditions.  That was almost no slip at all and better than I usually get on hard, smooth, and dry salt.  It surprised me.   

Offline dw230

« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Usable salt is NOT the very thin, green, smelly mud found at the 8 mile mark to the 12 mile post. It is also not the first two miles that were destroyed by traffic at WoS.

Pretty simple,
DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
Like DW I have been going to the salt since 1953 and have seen about every condition of it during those years. The mining has removed mega tons of salt and it has taken many good miles of salt away, the road in this year at the WOS was about the worst I have seen.It will take a lot of work to repair after the winter season is over. Having good and safe salt is what is first on everyones list. we all want to to run but not with whats available now.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Usable salt is NOT the very thin, green, smelly mud found at the 8 mile mark to the 12 mile post. It is also not the first two miles that were destroyed by traffic at WoS.

Pretty simple,
DW

Since I don't know, is there anything that can really be done to help it out other than stopping the mining and just staying off of it until it has a chance to reform? I've been going to the salt off and on since the late 60's and yes it has changed a lot.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
its seems like mining is only a part of the loss of salt.  How much salt do you think gets blown away every year by the winds?

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »
I am sure the winds get some of the salt but I doubt it is anywhere close to what mining and salt plants take away. I think we are on borrowed time if we all do not start looking at what we might do to help it out. I know my last trip I was wishing there was a hose station on the edge of the salt to wash what I could back off and onto the salt. I did go around the vehicle each day on the way out and knock off what I could. While I know it wasn't much in the big picture, every little bit helps.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2014, 12:37:53 AM »
You are right about the need for a wash station.  A lot of salt goes away each year on the underside of vehicles.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
Not even close to what went away daily in rail cars for years.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records