Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171229 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
Good photo. Thanks Dicky.

Way to go Jon. Thanks. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »
I'll post some more photos later from the event but thought youse guys might like this one! [Sorry, no Speed Demon crash stuff!]

The doctor told George that the guy in the room next to him fell off his Segway, had a broken arm and his face was a mess! Worse shape than George! :-o George be the man what am!  :cheers:

All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
Couldn't get there.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline superleggera

- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »
Another fine job of photography Woody!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
Thanks Woody. Great pictures. The workmanship is great. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »
Troy knows how to build em. Fine job Troy.  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »
I'm almost home from the Top Speed Challenge and WoS -- will pull into Marquette in time to have lunch with Nancy tomorrow.  Finally.  This being separated stuff ain't for me, that's for sure.  Of course -- the reunion oughta be dandy. :roll: :cheers: :cheers:

Here comes the next issue about land speed racing at Bonneville - and landracing.com.  Read along for a minute, please.

I have been asked if I'll attend WF/SW to do streaming audio and other in-person coverage of the event.  Yes, I can do it -- but it'll mean that I get home on Thursday (tomorrow) and need to leave Sunday - three days after I get home.  The toilets arrive Wednesday and racing starts Saturday.  If I have to go out there again -- my aching butt will be crabby as all get out at me.  I'm at 4,000 miles in two weeks - and the next round trip will move the total for one month to 8,000.  And those miles don't come cheap.  Fuel, lodging, food, etc.

I'm considering one arrangement to stream (won't tell you all about it now -- too cornfusing at this point of planning), but said "deal" might require me to forgo any outside funding - like having one or more real sponsors pay the costs.  But I don't want to NOT have sponsors because I don't want to ask you folks - the Forum regulars - to fund my travels to and from Bville.  You donors have been more than kind in supplying the $$ it takes -- and it's your turn to sit back and let someone else spend the money.  I mean it -- thanks, but it's somebody else's turn.

Back to the travel time.  Sure, I could fly out there and back and rent a car in SLC -- that'd give me about four days that I wouldn't have to be driving, but I don't know if it'd be less expensive.  I'm not going to chase airline costs now -- gotta get to sleep - but I'll figure it out tomorrow once I'm at the house. 

I want to be there for WF, but don't want to be gone from home for another two weeks.  Speaking of being gone and events -- I'm going on the assumption that Mike Cook is NOT going to do the "real" Shootout in October right after WF.  That was the plan I heard before leaving Wendover.  If he does run the Shootout after all -- cripes, not waht do I do>

Thanks one more time for the support you've shown.  Maybe I should ask you to get on the email and phone and help find a big-time sponsor to get me out there -- and screw the rule that says I'm not allowed to have said sponsors.

G'night.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2014, 02:16:28 AM »
Slim
Hope you got home safe,,,
Question
Did you broadcast the morning runs on Sunday Sept 14 . Checked the arcive on the broadcast page & the last day archived is Sept 13...

Thanks again for the broadcast , & good luck finding a sponsor....If I hear of anything I'll send them your way...
Would kind of like to here the golden Baggo Bikes run
Randy
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
I'm almost home from the Top Speed Challenge and WoS -- will pull into Marquette in time to have lunch with Nancy tomorrow.  Finally.  This being separated stuff ain't for me, that's for sure.  Of course -- the reunion oughta be dandy.  :cheers: :cheers:

WHEW,,,,,,,,,,,,,Slim is there a chance you could take some 8x10 glossy's of the reunion for us guys out here? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Seriously, i don't know how you do it. That is a lot of driving and turn around time. Hope some more people step up to help support you. The live stream is great if you can pull it off, but if not, i am sure people would understand. You put a lot of effort and time in doing what you do, just to bring pleasure to us gear heads who cant be there. Looking forward to the next few weeks. Good luck messaging the Tattoo's.  :cheers:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »
Slim
Years ago my supply Sargent used to tell me that what you are talking about at home, is the thing that you can get the farthest behind on and catch up the quickest. :-D :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2014, 12:01:31 PM »
Is Cook planning a rain date if the salt is better and there is enough interest, I think we would like to run the two Vesco streamliners if so. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Glen, the last that I heard from Mike Cook was that there would be no Top Speed Shootout event(s) this year.  The salt just wasn't good enough or long enough for safe high speed runs.  At most we could find about 8 miles -- should have more like a dozen and then some good salt to use when the chute fails or the throttle sticks open or something.

Ergo I say -- no more Shootout for 2014.  Check with Mike if you want further information.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com