Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171222 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
Great photos Slim.  Looks like another generation of salt addicts has been created!!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bigdaddyusmc

Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »
SLIM
Just wanted to thank you for putting up with me this weekend,,, Having our race team at the salt & me  stuck here in San Diego under Doctors orders to take it easy after a heart attack SUCKED.. You gave me the chance to at least listen in...  Hope you know how much this meant to me,,,
Thanks again ,  Randy Chenowth
Bagnell Baggo Chenowth Racing

Heart Attacks ain't no fun, & the Doctor said reduce my SALT intake..... LOL :evil:
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline nomobux

• New folks
  • Just a old rodder
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »
SLIM
Just wanted to thank you for putting up with me this weekend,,, Having our race team at the salt & me  stuck here in San Diego under Doctors orders to take it easy after a heart attack SUCKED.. You gave me the chance to at least listen in...  Hope you know how much this meant to me,,,
Thanks again ,  Randy Chenowth
Bagnell Baggo Chenowth Racing

Heart Attacks ain't no fun, & the Doctor said reduce my SALT intake..... LOL :evil:

Hoping your recovery is FAST !!  Pun intended.
"I GOTTS NOMOBUX"

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
THANKS Nomobux
I gave up smokin the day I had my heat attack after 20 years of a pack a day....
Got  heart surgery on Sept 29 , Doctor say that will be NO WORRIES & I'll be back to abnormal in no time,,,
I know he ain't got a cure for SALT FEVER.....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:27:00 PM by bigdaddyusmc »
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
I don't mean to steal your thread Slim, but after all the dust settles down over the Speeddemon rollover and George walking away basically in good shape, i think a lot of kudos should go to Rich Manchen who i do believe, built that frame a few years ago. Rich is a great fabricator and welder and has done some welding for myself. For George to walk away from that car tells a lot about the safety aspect that Rich put in to building that chassis. Good job Rich. Just my two cents. Mark.  :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
Speaking of George,

What ever happened to that interview I have been waiting for :? :? :evil: :evil:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
interview...interview...interview...interview 8-) 8-)
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline bigd1

• New folks
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:57 PM »
Slim Can You tell me does lands end still have water around it? Also any word on Speed Demon making World Finials or the other cook Shootout 

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
Speed Demon:  https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS scroll down to the pictures  :-o  on Sept 12.  What do you think?  :|

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
Slim Can You tell me does lands end still have water around it? Also any word on Speed Demon making World Finials or the other cook Shootout 

Hey bigd1, if you face book go to Mike Cooks Shoot out and check out the pictures of the Speeddemon. Here is a link but i don't know if it will open. Don't think that car will be back for quite some time.

https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS?fref=ts

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »
You beat me to it Mike.  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
I'm s till waiting for George to be brought out to the tower by someone.  I was tied down to the equipment and couldn't get down to the pits.  Ditto I'm still waiting for the helper that was going to be doing a bunch of interviews on his recorder and deliver them to me so I could play them.  And then, when he said he had to leave early, he asked for my email addy so he could send them to me for playing later.  I should have them by Sunday noon, I was told.  Or maybe it was Sunday evening.  It's Monday evening and the event is over and I still don't have them.

But then -- the streaming audio worked better than I expected it would, and next time I try it I'll have more things all figured out and ready to run -- so I can devote more effort to getting those interviews and chasing down George and having the streaming run continuously without dropping out.  I called tech support today for the third day in a row.  this time I got a small apology and was told they wouldn't charge me for today and tomorrow.  Great -- the event is over today and they won't charge for tomorrow.  And today I couldn't get it working.

No matter -- it worked pretty danged well for the chewing gum and baling wire effort.  Thanks for sticking around for what I could send down the wire (so to speak). :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #282 on: September 15, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »
Jon:

I am so starved for salt, if you were transmitting over scratchy AM radio waves like the X out of Mexico I would hold my ear to the speaker to hear every morsel of sound. I enjoy your comments, the background radio chatter, Glen... especially Glen telling people to "take it to impound" mixed with a little header noise. Way down hear in South Florida we have salt in the air but none on the ground. Thanks for helping me feed the need. Thanks to ZZ Mark's encouragement there is a little something in the Paypal inbox at LR.com. Sometimes you need someone suggestion to do the right thing. :)

Thanks for all you do for us.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #283 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »
Thanks BR for stepping up  :cheers:,,,,,,,,,,,,and thanks Jon for all your hard work. Have a safe trip home. Mark.  :-)

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2014, 05:55:50 AM »
From the Cook Shootout Facebook page:

Our pal Jon Wennerberg a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim has been hard at work providing a live streaming audio report from the Shootout. Mike Cook's Bonneville Shootout would like to acknowledge and thank Slim for the effort he put in under difficult circumstances. Slim reported from his car for the entire event. A lot of racers and enthusiasts enjoyed the feed from landracing.com and we would be very happy to have Slim do it again next year. Thanks Slim.

Plus there is a photo of Jon at work in his car.