Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171247 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
Yep -- I know it died again.  I'm working on it.

Dodge streaming won't reboot this time.  I'll type what I can for you.  Sorry it's crapped out.

Ack is moving -- through the one.

Chute out at about the 2.  Run has ended again.  He's at the 3 1/2.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:49:25 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Pork Pie, this is a test and tune now, the shoot out is re scheduled for after the world finals. :cheers:

Glen,

yes, I know that this is a test and tune and not the Shootout....but Mike Cook said, that they will have only this 132 feet speed timing....but when I follow all the notes it looks not this way....license runs and measured miles...what is really going on???????????????
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »
This Dodge jetpack is going to be replaced before the next event.  No question about it.  I'm going to give up on it for the audio -- 'til I have a bit of time.  Maybe a soak in liquid nitrogen will help.

Pork Pie:  The event is not FIA/FIM, and the course is only about 8 miles or so.  The timing lights measure one mile as well as the 132' trap at the (north) end of the course.  That's why we can have the two speeds recorded.  It has turned into a test and tune -- but speeds are being measured properly so "records", while not from a sanctioning body, can at least be compared to those set at SCTA/USFRA events or FIM/FIA.  Okay?

An un-named official visitor to the salt just ran his new Camaro through the lights.  The speedo showed about the high 130s.  The lights showed his pass through the mile at 150.8.  Now we know how fast that car will run.  No, I don't think it is other than stock.  It might be a rental - the fellow is not from America and probably flew here -- got the rental and played with it.  I'll find out since I expect youse guys will hassle over how much has been done on it/how fast is a stocker.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:06:43 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Anything on the Bagnell Baggo Chenowth Bike today????
Was at Church this morning :evil: & with the live stream up & down , I ain't sure whats going on :?.

Slim
Thanks for everything...
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
He ran the bike through the lights at about 130 -- don't have the exact speed.  There's a crowd around the tiing trailer - it's difficult to get good data with all the people there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »

reading the notes here and on Facebook is confusing me....

PorkPie,

You are not alone. Reading Cook's Facebook page is confusing IMO.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Thanks Slim.... That's a GOOD NUMBER...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
Here's the status of the event as of a quarter after 1 Wendover time:

Ack Attack is putting the bike in the trailer and going home.

Stupidbaker is changing engines - will likely run again but who knows when?

Big Red can run - just went to the 2 - no word on making full course passes.

Mariani 'liner may run - no word about the car and when it might run.

Speed Demon team is working with a 55-gallon drum of turtle wax trying to buff out the scratches.

Eva won't run again this event -- she's satisfied with the 270 from yesterday.  Going home with a running vehicle is cool.  Speaking of her -- she's chatting with one of the FIA guys here -- and having a blast.  They're talking Swedish back and forth.  Maybe telling stories about me, maybe joking about running 270 in an electric sidecar 'liner.  I don't speak Swedish.

Did I miss anyone?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »
Slim
Not Counting the BAGGO bike,,, There are only 6 other teams that showed up to run???

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
It's something like 1.40PM out here and we are told that there will be nobody running for at least 1 1/2 hours -- maybe longer.  That means to me that the next run won't be until 3 or 3.30.  I don't know who that next vehicle might be.

Let's see how many there are/were.  Speed Demon, Mariani 'liner, Ack Attack, Big Red Camaro, Eva's electric 3-wheeler, Stupidbaker, the Baggo CX500 turbo bike -- and, umm, unh, I don't remember anyone else.  Have you folks got a memory that works and thinks of a vehicle that I've forgot here?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »
Speed Demon team is working with a 55-gallon drum of turtle wax trying to buff out the scratches

LOL

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:56:50 PM by zzcruzin »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
We're down to two vehicles.  I hear that the Mariani car is out with an engine problem -- valvetrain or something so won't run any more this event.  And although they've also got the roadster here, the engines in both cars were built at the same time so maybe the fault is in both builds.   They're done for this event.

Eva is done but hanging around.  Big Red did that 221 run the other day and will probably run again -- just don't know when.  Studebaker engine swap is proceeding -- don't know why they're changing.  Is it a class change, or try this one instead of that one, or because the first one got hurt?  I dunno. . .

Speed Demon has run out of Turtle Wax and is trying some WD40 and duct tape.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
Speed Demon team is working with a 55-gallon drum of turtle wax trying to buff out the scratches

LOL

Is there a frame jig and some large 'c' clamps in the toolbox?

I would suspect that having enough energy to fly 345 feet, there has to a least a visit to the alignsment shop.

It's really a sick joke.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »
The Big Red Camaro is running right now -- but from the 0 to the 2.  Nowhere near the timing lights.  Chute out at the 2 3/4.  Running for the camera crew, maybe -- but sure ain't nuffin' on getting to the lights.  I don't know. . . :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
Ya Texican,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think you are a little warped just like the rest of us.  :-D :-D :-D

And Jon, i guess you are finished with the streaming, are you not?  :? And thanks for another good typing and broadcast day.  :cheers: