Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171243 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
I don't kniow what happened, but the Verizon jetpack that has been providing the wi-fi link crapped out.  So I've switched to my iPhone for wi-fi and that IS working to provide the stream.  I haven't a clue as to why the pack quit -- maybe it'll come back to life later.

I also know that there's no vehicle set up and in line to run in the immediate future.  Mariani streamliner #22 mae the one mile under power checkout run, came to a stop with chute deployed at about the 2 1/2.  That car will return to the pits - not immediately to the start line.  Pack the chute, read data - don't know if they're planning a full length run yet today.  I'll let you know when I find out WTF is going on.

PS  The spell checker in my Apple laptop thinks that WTF is a mis-spelled word. :roll:

No, Rocky has not run at all;.  They're in the pit chasing gremlins.  Big Red is up on jack stands, Studebaker is maybe 45 minutes from a run, Mariani perhaps in an hour.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
LOL

Offline pdxracefan

• New folks
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
I've got my eyes closed.
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

Offline pdxracefan

• New folks
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2014, 04:03:12 PM »
I'm not real familiar with this event.  Why are there so few entries?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
You can look now - I've got pants on again.  And they're shorts -- now you could see the big tattoo of Nancy and her tattoos.  Too bad for you that you're not out here to see it.

We're still waiting for the Stude to get ready for a run.  The weather report:  72F, 18% humidity, Station pressure = 25.62", DA is 5989'.

The event is a child of the Cook Top Speed Shootout.  The salt wasn't good enough/long enough for the traditional 11-12 mile international course (as it's known) to be run for FIA and FIM records so the Top Speed Challenge was born out of necessity.  There were a handful of vehicles out here that wanted to run, and therefore the course was set up for one way runs - about 5 miles to the lights, a timed mile and an exit speed trap (132').  No "official" records or certification.  But Cook is hoping that the salt will be good enough for the real Shootout on the rain date.  I think the dates are 6 - 10 October -- right after WF/SpeedWeek.

The reason there aren't many vehicles is that it's quite expensive, relatively speaking, to have FIA and FIM certification, and also because the event was intended for just what it says - to be a top speed event, thereby involving mostly the fastest of the fast.  Everyone is welcome to sign up and race, and the cost, while it can be high, is sometimes born by a sponsor.  Top One Oil has paid the motorcycle entry fees for a few years, making it affordable for teams that aren't funded by a factory or business or whatever.  I don't know if there's the same type of "fairy godmother" helping the cars -- although I might guess about it. :roll:

The Shootout has commonly attracted a dozen - 2 dozen vehicles.  One major advantage of the concept is that there aren't many waiting lines.  Work on the vehicle 'til it's ready, notify Mike Cook or Junior that you'd like to run -- and the course is yours once patrol and fire and ambulance are in place (which they usually are already) and once the spectators and camera crews' cars are under control and locked down.

Further questions?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Jon, if we go back to WoS Mike Cook was asking for a minimum of 20 (IIRC) entries to make the event viable. It seems there's way less than that at the moment. Are there more vehicles on the way?

Oh, and the stream has gone again.

Offline pdxracefan

• New folks
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
Jon,

Thanks for the 'splanation, I understand more now.  And the stream is back and good now.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
The stream is going again, I think.  I guess I knocked it off when I took a call from Nancy and wandered out of the wi fi range.  Somebody post a note to this topic so I know it's working.  Thanks.

If you're not listening you probably don't know that Mike Cook just reported that Betty Howard (George's sister) is about a half-hour away and heading to the salt with George in the car.  He wants to come out to see his car, and to thank his crew for building a good car.  Good car?  Well, getting bumped around at 370 and coming back here a bit sore but otherwise ok the very next day says that the car was pretty well built, hey?  George is also said to be ready to thank Cook and his crew for having the course set up as well as it is - especially with fire and safety as quick on the scene as they were.

And best of all -- George is going to come down here to the timing tower to tell the listening audience his stories.  Expect that to be in an hour or two.  I'll give you warning as soon as I get it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2014, 04:50:21 PM »
Even when this stream stops momentarily, it is still better than my stream. Very weak, very weak.  :-D

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
Its working Jon.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  I'm sure we're all glad to hear that. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bigdaddyusmc

« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
Dead again....
BAGNELL BAGGO CHENOWTH RACING

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Yep, i was going to say the same thing.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
Still dead again.  :-P Wayno

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
Stream gone. refresh does not work. must be the weather.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.