Author Topic: Poured foam seat  (Read 3832 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Poured foam seat
« on: September 07, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
After the interior is done on my car I plan on doing a pour in seat. There's probably 4 companies out there who make very nice SFI approved stuff. Anybody have a favorite?

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
We used ISP. They have great support and do lots of engineering and testing. We've poured 3 of them with very good results. Read the directions, then read them again, THEN pour the seat. It is pretty straight forward.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline tauruck

Re: Poured foam seat
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:55 AM »
Brad, I did my own bead seats. Same as the stuff available over there.
I did two I wasn't happy with for different reasons.
The third version is coming up as soon as I have someone to help me. :evil:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:47 AM »
I can see no way that a person could do a poured seat on their own. I've watched several being done and helped on a couple of others in a shop where they were done routinely. If you get in and out of the seat you can't move the filler where it needs to be plus you'd need to be more flexible than anyone I know to knead the filler into spots where it should go.

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »
A poured foam seat sounds attractive but doesn't it conflict with the SCTA ban on "plastic" seats?  :?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I think the poured foam falls into the 1" maximum padding rule rather than the plastic seat issue which is the seat itself- normally aluminum or in the case of a liner or something might be steel sheet. I had plastic bucket seats in an old dune buggy and I think that sort of thing is what the rule is about. (particularly after seat failure in a crash lead to seatbelts loosening and not restraining the driver.) Padding collapse same issue ( no stock sprung type seats) lead to the 1" rule as I understand. 
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:09:30 PM »
The so called "poured" portion of the seat is only a liner. A proper support is still required. When the poured portion is finished and tested it is normally covered with a fireproof fabric.

Pete

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »
It is only a "liner" as Pete says. The seat will be aluminum and I'm needing something to keep my boney behind from getting bruised!