Author Topic: stock cowl cover in altered??  (Read 3701 times)

Offline javajoe79

stock cowl cover in altered??
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
 To run in altered you have to keep the stock cowl cover correct? Other wise is would be streamlining to cover it with a smooth piece right? The car in question is a 96 firebird so this piece is contoured to fit the wiper arms and fill the area in between the hood, fenders and windshield.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Re: stock cowl cover in altered??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Hello, Java Joe,

I had the same question. When I read the rule book, I under stood it to say that this was considered streamlining.
Now, with that being said, I am not a tech inspector or someone with authority, just a racer. The final say would be with the tech inspector.
One item you could do, (and I did this) make the cover on the cowl to be easily removed. That way if this particular item fails tech, or you want to go into another class that allows this, then its easily installed or can be removed.

Just my 2 cents worth

Good luck to you!
See you on the salt
Clay 
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
Just leave the stock part there but be sure to seal it up underneath. We found out in the wind tunnel that there is no difference if you extend the edge to the windshield or not as long as it is sealed. All of the newer cars have a rubber seal on the back of the hood. Less drag and more down force= gas savings...and for us = more speed!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »
Yeah we are going to keep it sealed for sure. Planning on comp coupe also so we will probably have two pieces that we can switch out. It will also be split in half by the cowl hood that we need to run to clear the throttle elbow and valve covers.
615-210-1605

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Hey Joe,

Question:

In the rule book it says No taping or filled seams from firewall back. So my question is, how do you seal it, with out taping or filling the seams?

I am not trying to be a sm@rt a##, just trying to fit my application. Currently my cowl sits right atop of the firewall, so I am thinking that I would be breaking the rules if I sealed the cowl.

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
I believe they're talking about exterior taping and filling.  Like taping off the hood.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
Which part are you talking about taping?
615-210-1605