Author Topic: Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.  (Read 10257 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
I read her your comments and she couldn't stop laughing!!  thanks for volunteering!!

Offline comet

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 02:32:45 AM »
 :cheers:

Offline shutterpilot

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
Just to get back to the OP - Bruin was doing what we all were asked to. Delvene et al can take it into consideration with everything else that's going on.
I have to echo Bruin tho' - while I thought the entire event and everyone involved was brilliant, it was exasperating waiting 6 hours while IT SEEMED other riders were hot lapping some of us. Now, maybe that wasn't the case, but the waiting wasn't bad if all felt equal, (and it wasn't just once, it was the norm) but watching the same folks go round and round on the international course multiple times while I had yet to make a run starts to not feel fair. I paid the same as everyone else.
Again, not being behind the scenes, I can't say for sure what was happening. But if it didn't get communicated back to Delvene, than she'd not have an opportunity to address or dismiss it. So, yes, there is a "perception" among some of us that the wait times were 6+ hrs for some, which basically meant you were only going to get one run in a day and tricky enough to get a return in, but not so long for others. I'm not 100 yrs old, but that's not a complaint, and its not whining, and it certainly doesn't mean I or others shouldn't be there. Its a perception being communicated back to the organizers in good faith and partnership, and becomes part of the arsenal they have to wield an even better event next time.
I intend to run again, and I intend to take the wheels off and volunteer as well.
Thanks Delvene, Thanks Linnea, and thanks to everyone else who made 2014 possible.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »
And there is the real issue. I've run in the event for several years, plan to do so again, and every year see the same issue. I understand that they do it this way in an attempt to be fair, but it always seems to work against me rather than in my favor.  8-)

The procedure is to alternate between start lines, i.e. 10 bikes from mountain 0, then 10 from mountain 1, then return runs. Wash rinse repeat. On the surface this seems like the most fair way to do it, but it presents a problem when you have significantly more bikes running from one start line. For an exaggerated example, if there are 100 bikes running from mountain 1, and 10 bikes from mountain 0, each of the mountain 0 bikes gets 10 runs for every one run of a mountain 1 bike. Remember that every competitor pays the same entry fee, and regardless of the displacement or speed likely has a similar "life investment" in his/her effort to be there.

By requiring all slower bikes to run from the 1 (which I have done voluntarily in the past, and actually had to request permission to do it one year when it was RWYB only and they were hot lapping while we sat and waited at the 0 !) you are forcing exactly this situation.

I agree with Bruin that this is a real issue that needs serious consideration to make sure that all competitors, regardless of speed or displacement, have equal opportunities to get runs in. Perhaps by counting the number of bikes in line and increasing the number released from a given start line during the cycle to help that line catch up? I don't really have the answer, just hope that this helps clarify the issue.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 02:09:46 AM »
I was going to part of the VW contingent this year but had a little issue about the E85 my street car runs not being a recognized fuel for participation in the 130mph class, still scratching my head over that one, (OK that was my Whine, I'm over it now),,,,,,

BUT I've heard several of sighs of discontent from the guys that were there about the time setting at the line/in the lanes waiting to go. One gentleman said he only got in 3 runs the whole weekend and got shut off at the front of the line after waiting 4.5 hours when they closed the course......  .. ...  

Maybe the shutting down of the back of the lanes and then running everyone who's there out and not letting the 'starting from the 1' jump in there (everyone pulls a 'number' when you're ready to run (hit the lanes) and when your number is called.. you go .. .) might be a couple of really good suggestions for the future .. ..

I truly appreciate the volunteers who make this happen,,, they make the world go around
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:15:41 AM by Fiatdude »

Offline shutterpilot

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
Thanks WhizzbangK.C.!

You were perceptively able to summarize my own experience much better than I ever could.
Your post, along with Bruin's OP, would effectively summarize what I think was the only real detriment to the experience - hopefully Rex and Delvene will parse those thoughts from the chaff. As almost everyone intimates, its not an easy issue to address or solve, but if efforts need to be focused anywhere, its on this issue.

And none of this takes away from the awe and admiration I still have for the staff, organizers and volunteers, who contributed to the other 99% positive experience I had!