Author Topic: Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.  (Read 10260 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:08:51 AM »
It was a new course layout in comparison to the old way of doing things.  I was confused a little bit the first time by the return road arrangement.  The new course setup seems to work well. 

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
After 50+ years on the Salt I have several suggestions if you are unhappy with the event You entered.

Reevaluate where You want to run.

Consider what the event operator went through for you to be able to run.

Build your own track and event. That way you can complain to yourself if you don't like it.

Add any other suggestions that You don't like.

When You have everything perfect, call Mother Nature and beg foregivness.

Some of the most accomplished motorcycle racers in the world have struggled

to even make this event a possibility. You built a bike and expect perfection for

your entry fee. There is a World's Whiner Club.com.  Join it.

After 50+ years and 149 trips to Wendover and the flats I haven't seen it all

but you ain't gettin' a virgin. I'll continue to return and there will be more surprises.

If you search history and find the story of Denis Manning and Boris Murray going home

without a run, because it snowed you, may get the message. They paid privite time with the FIM.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. If You can make it better......mortgage your

Social Security Checks,

Have a higher power build a salt flats and You run the show until Higher Power pisses on it

the day before your event.

Ya get the idea Buddy.

FREUD
Glenn Freudenberger
11113 37th DR SE
Everett, WA  98208

fotofreud@aol.com
42-422-6944

So much for keeping it positive.  :?

Why the vitriol Doc, especially about an event that you don't attend, don't respect, and apparently have no association with. Didn't your mother teach you to keep your mouth shut if you have nothing good to say?  :-o

Apparently if you're not one of the self appointed "Salt Gods", running multi-million dollar operations, you really shouldn't even be on the salt, much less have the audacity to attempt to make suggestions about the meet that you do run at, even if the organizers ask you to.  :|

To be honest, I can't believe that you even posted this. I've always enjoyed your posts and looked forward to them. Was this just a passing bad mood, or is this how you really feel about all us folks who are behind you on seniority and speed? If this is your real opinion then my estimation of you just went way, way down. :x
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
This thread was started by Bruin in good faith that we might be able to make "Positive Suggestions to improve track flow" and I applaud him for starting it.  There were not just the few competitors that came forth with suggestions because they thought that things could be improved - - there were many that were unhappy with the new format but may not want to be ridiculed as has happened here.  I hope that the voices of the naysayers above will not deter those with suggestions from speaking out.  And you, Mr. Freud - - I don't recall having seen you at the event.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:17:20 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
Bruin is a respected and experienced racer.  Rereading his initial post does not reveal anything to get upset about.  The suggestions he has are good and not out of line. 

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
My apologies to Bruin. My post was not intended to turn this thread ugly, just steer it away from petty crying, but I stand by what I posted. :-D

I am a racer. I volunteered this year to help out, as I ran WOS, instead of BMST, as I have in the past. Although I have some insight into how things run, this is not an official statement from the organization, so don't put too much credibility into it. I have limited view of the whole.

1. Maps just don't work. Personally I need to see things first hand. The salt was too fragile to have all of our tow trucks on the course this year. It would have ruined the racing surface. Lets hope for better cooperation from the weather gods for next year, so maybe we can do it. I do agree pre-running the course is good, and we have done it in the past.

2. I have no idea how you would convey every detail of what is going on over the radio. Sometimes patience is a virtue.

3. We did offer to have people run less congested lines when things got backed up out at the starting areas. It is not always an easy transition though once out on course. I lined up in pre-stage to run the Mountain course and was offered to run the international course, so I moved over, and ran there.

4. Having a bike running 61 MPH with two miles of run up on a 150 MPH record is not justified. We all hope our bikes go fast, some are a little too optimistic.

5. You wouldn't believe the flexibility of the guys running the show. It is in a constant flow of change. I was amazed at the professional courtesy, and swift, safe, decisions made by all of them. There HAS to be solid and secure baseline rules or I would think the line of chaos would roll over all of us in a hurry. As far as I know we didn't have one single mishap from calls made by the people working the event.

Flexibility should be shown by the racers. Myself included.

These people (volunteers) who spent their vacation time and own money that make it possible for all of us to race. My hat is off to all of them. Frankly, I had no idea what long, thankless, miserable days these people endure, for me. I will be forever grateful.

Bottom line is, from a volunteers perspective, the BMST is run in a super safe, and efficient way. Safe being the most important part. I know the frustration of waiting in line. Last year I waited at mountain zero for four hours, after a couple in pre-stage, then a guy on a speedway bike went down right before my run and I waited another two hours to get that cleaned up. I am not complaining, just illustrating that delays are on-going, and part of this kind of racing.  Most every delay is made by the racers.

I hope to see you all out there next year! Not sure if I will be working or racing or both, but come by and say hi. (I hope this post doesn't piss Delvene off too much)

Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline DRW

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
Just read the reply from MAKR, Made me remember pulling up to the line to get in on Saturday, The Very First person I met, Was a guy from Orange Co, Calif. Named Dave,, He said rule # 1  is Never , Ever Treat any one in the red shirts bad, Respect them, Because they are here doing what they do for FREE !
I found everyone of them to be a good person and helpful when and where they could be .
And as far as going thru Tech on Saturday, The guys that went over my bike were strict , In fact they checked so much I was starting to worry, But they made me feel at ease and got me through in a timely fashion. So I agree, Thank you all so much for the job you do, so that we can go out and fulfill our dreams.
Im giving myself more days next year, So I have more time to stop and give thanks where needed ! I was only there three days this year and it went by in a blur ! But, Thanks to everyone I came in contact with !  Man, The Bonneville Salt Flats , Cant wait to go back.. DRW       
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
I would give each starter two helpers, one two cars back and the second four cars back in line, each to keep the racers moving forward or moving them over to the side to let the next in line pass them, while they work on their vehicle or make a movie or what ever. And then the people behind them will have a better idea of when they need to be ready.
Two years ago George, I think it was, did a good job of this and the lines moved along much quicker.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline comet

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 03:18:33 AM »
Hi all.

"Frankly, I had no idea what long, thankless, miserable days these people endure, for me. I will be forever grateful."

Not to start off anything else on this thread, but can I just say in responce to the above. Yes the days are long. Very long in fact, but they are not thankless, nor are they miserable. Last year one of my biggest thrills was being able to tell a rider that she had got her record on a return run. Her reaction to this news made my week. In  fact I was down the pub last night telling someone about it, and i was still smiling as I regailed the tale.

Me and she who must be obeyed love coming to BMST. The people we get to meet are great, yes it is hard work, yes we do have to hold people for long periods of time, and sometimes the full information is not to hand to be able to explain why. But there is always good reason. It is very rare that someone really complains about the wait, and generally people will often come up and say thanks at the end of the day.

Some of my best memories have been made at this event. I hope to be able to continue to return and make more memories. I may not be able to drag my bike over the water to race, but I can sure get involved, and make great friends.

looking forward to next year  :cheers:

John

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 06:44:24 AM »
Well said John.

I will volunteer again next year as it really is a ton of fun getting to socialize, and hang out with everyone. I really enjoyed that. There is a great deal of satisfaction that comes from seeing people who make their first run, or finally get a long sought after record.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:48:41 AM by makr »
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
Its all good - Love Dr. Freud's take on the subject. - My hat is off to all the Volunteers, you all make it happen so we can come out & play with our "junk".
A little better co ordination with the fuel truck is needed though - spending your 1st half day of racing waiting for fuel ?

Groomed turn outs ?  Iam just happy as a pig in a poke with how well the BMST had the tracks groomed, considering with what Mother Nature threw at us this year.
We're in the upper 180's now & can still slow down safe and turn out at or just slightly after the 4 mi. even if its in the crunchies - not a big deal.  :cheers:

The importance of attending the drivers meeting cannot be stressed enough.  Maybe a small color coded sticker handed out to all who attend the meeting, to be placed on their number plate.  The starter can then see when he is calling the tower with the bike number if that individual attended the drivers meeting or not.  If he or she did not attend the meeting they should be turned back to the pits to get educated.  :-D  No more excuses - like I didn't know where this was or that was -
Just a silly idea maybe.

All in all we still had an educational, fun time this year at the 2014 BMST Slush Fest - see you all again next year.  :cheers:

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
Comet said:

Last year one of my biggest thrills was being able to tell a rider that she had got her record on a return run. Her reaction to this news made my week. In  fact I was down the pub last night telling someone about it, and i was still smiling as I regailed the tale.

Was this rider by chance  a little Asian girl on a pink bike?

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
You know it was :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline comet

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55:52 AM »
haha, yes, it was. I didn't get her name. And even worse, I couldn't get a photo. I would love to have got a photo of her face. or even better a video of her reaction.  :-D  She was real pleased with that run. Quite rightly so too!

Not sure how "do-able" the stickers at riders meeting woudl be, but it is not a bad idea. I regularly had to explain a few guys that if you are running sub 100's you do not need to trail the bike right out to mike 5. "get off track as early as you can safely do so, and you will all get an extra run at the end of the week".

Does anyone know who the lady in pink is?

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »
that Lady is Lucille "Cil" Dunn. She is my rider and wife and you made her week when you gave her that result I can tell you.  She still talks about that run!!

Offline comet

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »
Please tell her I said hi. and thanks for the memory.
FANTASTIC.
 :-D

John