Author Topic: Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.  (Read 10273 times)

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
First and foremost the event staff should be congratulated for doing a good job under trying conditions. But waiting 6 hours while other riders were hotlapping did not seem right in past and present events. Please consider these suggestions.
1. I read where poor driver compliance to track routes contributed to wait times as well as being unsafe. As some people are visual learners and repetition drives a point home, I suggest explaining the traffic flow with a large map at the riders meeting, posting maps at prestage and the start, and when riders check in at prestage, have the line official who records the bike numbers show the map on the back of a clipboard and get the riders to initial it as acknowledgement.
2. Waiting is always worse when you don't know why you are waiting. Announcing the reason for significant delays on the radio would give the riders some understanding as well as educate them as to what not to do.
3. When one line becomes backed up offer the riders the chance to run on another track to balance the flow and offer equal access to runs.
4. Revisit the 125 rule to thin that group. 100 mph bikes don't slow the traffic significantly more than the 125.
5. Be flexible.
And again, thanks for all you do.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

DRW

Re: Positive Suggestions to improve track flow.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »
Well, I was one of the first timers that ran on the 125 course All the way to the 5 mile mark at the end !
As I returned on the return road the marshals red flagged me and called me over, They said Next run you dont have to stay on track all the way until the end after your run, My answer was, Frankly I saw one smoothed out turn off right after the 3 mile finish, After that nothing looked smoothed out to turn on !
Why wouldnt cones or blue lines be there to designate the turn off ? At 3:30pm maybe the turn offs didnt show up like they do earlier. But i sure didnt see them..
I felt bad because I just waited 2 1/2 to 3 hours out there at the start line, Fully Leathered for my run and 100% would not want to hold up any other riders !
After Saturdays Mandatory Riders Meeting, All "New" And "First" time riders should really have to go in a caravan of there support vehicles an see where they are going to race, Any other track you get to walk the course, I didnt have a clue where i was going to run flat out, Until i was on track Running Flat Out !   
DRW

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
No offense but landspeed may not be your cup of tea.

This may give you a little respect for the records you are running for. They are hard earned.

If you think it is the organization you are wrong. I waited yesterday for eight+ hours to make a pass at WOS. It wasn't the organizations plan that a rider went down or a car spun or whatever the situation was. I was happy I finally got the run in, and will be out there today rain or shine.

Buck up little buddies. It aint easy and the day I have a valet pick up my bike to run it to the start line for me I am out.

Hope to see you guys out there next year. :D
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »
Makr, I'm not a newbe complaining for the sport of it. I've participated in this LSR event for the last 7 years and that my team has set 4 of those hard earned records. At this year's riders meeting the leadership asked riders to send them suggestions to improve the meet. I complied. Stay positive my friends.   :cheers:
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »
From what I've been told, most of the wasted time on the track was by mistakes made by riders who went the full five, or stopped and didn't know where the return road was.  This can happen with first-timers and has to be expected; we just have to accept that it is going to happen. What Bruin suggested should be taken into consideration.  Also, what DRW is true - - turning off just anywhere can be a little bumpy, but I made a turn off just after the 2 on Thursday and had no problem doing so even with a hard tail frame.

The one thing that I think all of us might agree upon is that those of us who have paid the extra money to run for a record should be accorded the choice of tracks. Even a 90 mph bike trying to break a record can use the extra mile to gain a few mph which could make the difference between a record or not.  And at even 90 mph, only another 45 seconds will be required and I think we are entitled. My first record was at 117 mph, and I used the full 2 miles to get the benefit.

Tom 
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
I think having all new riders drive the course before racing starts would be a very good idea.  Stop at each important flag and explain whet they mean, explain how to turn off, return roads etc.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I like positive comments..................and so far its all positive.  I thought the BEST effort to speed up the GAS line on Sunday was made by the volunteer-team to help seal the tanks.  Of course, HAVING GAS AVAILABLE on SATURDAY would be WONDERFUL :-)

When the tracks were closed on Monday due to high-winds............many of the RWB and others would have been very happy to run..........if for nothing other than a test & tune for new builds.

Regarding turn-off lanes.............+1 with Bruan on markers and maybe one or two more graded exits at a decent radius.........and having rookies take a course cruise is a very positive suggestion.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:41:31 PM »
there was absolutely zero need to have more graded turn offs.  We run a 180 mph bike that is heavily modified and much lower than stock and we were able to turn off anywhere with zero issues. If you are afraid of a few little bumps in the salt with a sub 125 mph bike then I agree this kind of racing is probably not for you.

Also I am very much IN FAVOR of the 125 mph+ to tun the 2 mile course rule. We used to run a 115 mph 500 cc bike and my wife was always up to full speed in the first mile.  Some of you may think you will go faster if you had an extra mile but I bet most of you would find your speed would be exactly the same.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:44:15 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
After 50+ years on the Salt I have several suggestions if you are unhappy with the event You entered.

Reevaluate where You want to run.

Consider what the event operator went through for you to be able to run.

Build your own track and event. That way you can complain to yourself if you don't like it.

Add any other suggestions that You don't like.

When You have everything perfect, call Mother Nature and beg foregivness.

Some of the most accomplished motorcycle racers in the world have struggled

to even make this event a possibility. You built a bike and expect perfection for

your entry fee. There is a World's Whiner Club.com.  Join it.

After 50+ years and 149 trips to Wendover and the flats I haven't seen it all

but you ain't gettin' a virgin. I'll continue to return and there will be more surprises.

If you search history and find the story of Denis Manning and Boris Murray going home

without a run, because it snowed you, may get the message. They paid privite time with the FIM.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. If You can make it better......mortgage your

Social Security Checks,

Have a higher power build a salt flats and You run the show until Higher Power pisses on it

the day before your event.

Ya get the idea Buddy.

FREUD
Glenn Freudenberger
11113 37th DR SE
Everett, WA  98208

fotofreud@aol.com
42-422-6944

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:03:05 PM by Freud »
Since '63

DRW

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Uh Oh,,, I read what Bruin said and it made me want to comment . In No Way was I getting on any bodys case. Im not that kind of Racer ! Yep, I say racer,, I dont care how long I waited or if i couldnt see the turn off, None of that really bothered me, And to you guys in your late 60s and early 80s,,No way is it not for me.
Truth be told , By going the whole 5 miles in shutoff took a total of about 20 more seconds and I learned the hard way, Wont happen again, And as I said in my first post, No way after waiting did I want to hold up the guys behind me.......
Im 55 and was waiting to run on that hallowed ground since I was a kid watching Breedlove in The Spirit of America. And on the older guy thing, Well i learned 20 years ago, Anyone 20 or more years older than you isnt older, Hes Wiser .
May I say, If I comment again, I will choose my words Very Carefully !
As I first timer,,, Dammmn I cant wait until next year ! I hope I can be a bit more relaxed and meet more of you "Wiser"  Guys ! 
Had a Great time and Loved every minute of Bonneville . Thank you to the Salts Creator, The Organizers , Everyone that made it right for me at this time in life ! DRW     

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:06:46 PM »
I'm doin' the math.

An extra mile in 20 seconds is averaging 180 MPH for it.

An extra 2 miles in 20 seconds is averaging 360 MPH for them.

I wasn't there -- I don't know.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
After 50+ years on the Salt I have several suggestions if you are unhappy with the event You entered.

Reevaluate where You want to run.

Consider what the event operator went through for you to be able to run.

Build your own track and event. That way you can complain to yourself if you don't like it.

Add any other suggestions that You don't like.

When You have everything perfect, call Mother Nature and beg foregivness.

Some of the most accomplished motorcycle racers in the world have struggled

to even make this event a possibility. You built a bike and expect perfection for

your entry fee. There is a World's Whiner Club.com.  Join it.

After 50+ years and 149 trips to Wendover and the flats I haven't seen it all

but you ain't gettin' a virgin. I'll continue to return and there will be more surprises.

If you search history and find the story of Denis Manning and Boris Murray going home

without a run, because it snowed you, may get the message. They paid privite time with the FIM.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. If You can make it better......mortgage your

Social Security Checks,

Have a higher power build a salt flats and You run the show until Higher Power pisses on it

the day before your event.

Ya get the idea Buddy.

FREUD
Glenn Freudenberger
11113 37th DR SE
Everett, WA  98208

fotofreud@aol.com
42-422-6944

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
Rats!

Doc I went to capture your quote and prematurely "POSTED". Must be my youth and inexperience. :)

All I can say is, anyone that has attended 50 years and 149 events very well could be the HIGHER POWER.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

DRW

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Whew, Never say things in print, Its always takin out of context !
Had a great time in Bonneville !
As with the Name Seldom Seen Slim,, Im gone, Never ever want to be labeled a whiner !
Thats a million percent away from what I was tryin to do or say !
Sorry to all, Never meant to come off that way. Again ,Loved every second of My Bonneville Exp.
DRW.................................. Gone

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »
Hey, DRW, don't be gone!  Go tell your friends what a great place the salt is and give them a few words of wisdom.  We want you back!
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!