Author Topic: Motus record  (Read 13341 times)

Offline RansomT

Re: Motus record
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
Lee, I think it's admirable to have a factory sponsored bike on the salt.  It speaks volumes about the direction of the company.  Now, you just need to drive a little North to ECTA and compete on the asphalt.

Offline joea

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
I think its AWESOME to have "pushrod" class with MORE competition.....

Joe :):)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
Lee thank you for chiming in.
First off I'd be the first to say you have a very nice bike that you and the folks at your factory are building. Great job.
Next the big question comes when you make the record claim in a production pushrod class, is," Just how did you meet the minimum requirements as set out by any sanctioning body?"
This question is particularly important when dealing with any production class, as they ,in most cases, are extremely restrictive.
 I am on the road to Bonneville now, so I'm out of pocket for the next few days, but I'd love  to give you a call and touch base about my concerns. Heck, you never know, I may end up running one of your bikes.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline joea

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
yes...i think many will be happy to campaign something  besides harley or indian etal in
the pushrod class........

Offline rouse

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »
yes...i think many will be happy to campaign something  besides harley or indian etal in
the pushrod class........
Hi Joe,
Say hi to Stacey for me if you see him up there.
This whole old school thing goes back to the 50's when Foley Free made his famous ride on a Vincent @ 150.mph, the in the early 2000's the Buel Brothers finally bumped that to 152.3, then lastly in 2009, I bumped that to 153.325. 3 MPH in 60+ years, that's tough record if you ask me.
There's a lot to be said of the challenge of making power and speed with the old school technology.
Modern technology has certainly moved on and left the old school in its' wake. That is just the fact of condition of the two technologies.
Some years back the SCTA recognized the divergence in the performance of the two and made the proper call IMO, to split the class structure between the two.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:39 AM »
The FIM split the bike classes into multis, twins, and singles.  This brought a lot of activity and life to their racing.  It gave a lot more people a chance to compete.   

Offline **RP**

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
I also questioned how the Motus could run in the Production class, but Lee's reply explains it clearly.  The SCTA rules keep popping up the this thread but the Motus ran at an AMA event.   The production rules for SCTA and AMA are now totally different. 

I talked to the Motus Owner/Rider in the staging lanes at the BMST event....great people with a great story.     
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline rouse

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
I am not that sure about how much difference there is between the two sanctioning bodies rules over all, but they are both very similar in intent.
This issue may boil down to how credible the sanctioning body polices it own rules.
When a sanctioning body fails to enforce it's own rules, we as participant's all lose. At that point we should just start running "time only" events. Where's the challenge in that? .
Rouser
Johnnie Rouse

Offline **RP**

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:31 AM »
Production SCTA rules allow any mods to be done to the engine as long as they are kept out of sight and it is within the class displacement limits.....basically a pro-stock motor with mufflers.     AMA Production rules are interpreted to be all stock parts inside the motor and stock displacement.   Big difference when comparing records.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
In AMA listed parts like cases, cylinders, heads, etc need to be OEM.  Internal mods like porting and boring out to just under the class limits are OK.  Boring out the carb bores has been done.

These are enforceable rules from an inspection viewpoint.  An inspector can reasonably be asked to visually verify if crankcases, cylinders, heads, etc are OEM.  They can measure displacement.  How could that inspector tell if the cams, valves, gears, clutch and other internal parts are OEM?

The production engine rules are a practical compromise.     

Offline **RP**

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
Boring out to the class displacement limit is not legal in AMA Production classes.  Bore cannot be larger than what the bike came out of the factory with.

Carbs likewise cannot be bored out in AMA Production classes.  Venturi size must be as produced.

All this is stated in the current AMA rules. 

You are correct that everything cannot be checked during teardown inspection.

Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
You are right about needing the standard venturi size and displacement.  I got mentally mixed up when I replied.