Author Topic: Motus record  (Read 13340 times)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Re: Motus record
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
AMA Rules*
NRHS Sales wrote on another thread;

*The engine and frame must be from the same manufacture*

In other words if you are running a Harley frame you CANNOT have an S&S engine or use S&S cases any longer.  Don't want anybody to be caught off guard by this change as most of the focus has been on A class.

Motus advertizes that their frames are built by an outside vendor, so how does that work for the PP class.
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
Motus advertizes that their frames are built by an outside vendor, so how does that work for the PP class.

That sounds like a question that needs to be answered by Curtis or Drew.  i would suggest you get in touch with them

Offline rouse

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »

That sounds like a question that needs to be answered by Curtis or Drew.  i would suggest you get in touch with them

I agree with that, I will be out there latter in the week. If their not at Bonneville I'll touch base otherwise.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
I see that Motus has just joined the Forum.  I look forward to hearing this situation get worked out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JR529

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »

To be honest I cant see that it matters much at all. Almost all parts of a vehicle are produced by an outside vendor, the manufacturer just assembles them.

velocity

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 03:37:36 AM »
This photos ought to convey "production" to any interested party. I also know that some 600 frames are being built.

FIM and AMA play on an international level while SCTA is a respected national authority. Keep that in mind.

Offline JR529

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
This photos ought to convey "production" to any interested party. I also know that some 600 frames are being built.

FIM and AMA play on an international level while SCTA is a respected national authority. Keep that in mind.

Sorry Louise,

According to the AMA, production is defined as the following:
A “production motorcycle class” is as “produced by a recognized manufacturer”, and the public must be able to purchase a minimum of 500 frames through retail dealers.

That is from the AMA 2014 Land Speed regulations, Page 29.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2014_event/AMA-BUB-SR-2014-v2.pdf

And it is very clear that the Public is not able to purchase a Motus M/C at this time from anybody, let alone through a retail dealer. And notice that the AMA rule says "MUST".

And to your other point, I always thought the first A in AMA stood for American?

Offline rouse

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »

Does

Sorry Louise,

According to the AMA, production is defined as the following:
A “production motorcycle class” is as “produced by a recognized manufacturer”, and the public must be able to purchase a minimum of 500 frames through retail dealers.

That is from the AMA 2014 Land Speed regulations, Page 29.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2014_event/AMA-BUB-SR-2014-v2.pdf

And it is very clear that the Public is not able to purchase a Motus M/C at this time from anybody, let alone through a retail dealer. And notice that the AMA rule says "MUST".

And to your other point, I always thought the first A in AMA stood for American?

So the question I have ask is did AMA accept this as a record. If so who approved it? 
There are either rules or there's not, so what good is the claim?
One thing for certain, I will dig into their claim.
Johnnie Rouse

Offline edinlr

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
I guess the bikes for the record runs were chassis number 501 and 502.  Anyway, a picture with 40 or 50 engines on pallets is not the same as having manufactured 500 bikes period.  If this bike is going to be certified then every Boss Hog and every clone need to be certified on the same basis.  Not EPA approved, doesn't sound production to me.  I have no doubt Motus can and will get a lot of records in the near future, but they really need to do it in the same set of rules that everyone else has to play with.  Honesty and integrity mean a whole lot more when you are introducing a new product.  To me this is a record like Barry Bonds* or Mark McGuire*.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 12:37:52 AM »
There is a protest procedure.

velocity

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »
I've been following this manufacturer for several years. I don't doubt their veracity and integrity one iota. think what you like, but do the homework before you cast aspersions on this fabulous new AMERICAN entry to the motorcycling scene. 

Geez.

Offline rouse

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 06:29:31 AM »
There is a protest procedure.
I agree with you wobbly, and it appears that is exactly what's in order in this instance.
 Rouse

Johnnie Rouse

Offline Motus Factory Racing

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
Great spirit, passion, and level of discourse on Landracing.com! Like you, we share a love for land speed racing and know that for the sport to maintain credibility, regulations must be followed in spirit and letter. LSR tends to bring out the best in people (and their machines!) and we were proud to participate in the 2014 Bonneville Speed Trials, sanctioned by the AMA. We are already supporting outside teams gearing up to race Motus MSTR's and other vehicles powered by the mighty V4 Baby Block, both of which are available through certain authorized Motus dealers now. My office line is below, so please call and I'll help direct you to a dealer and make sure your bike or V4 gets in the production queue ASAP. Oh, and by the way, we've left enough material in the engine block to bore the V4 to right under 1990cc, which should make approximately 230+bhp NA.....

While there are just too many inaccuracies and misconceptions posted in this thread to respond to each separately (and have time to run Motus), here's what we can say. We can not speak to SCTA, FIM, USFRA, or other regs, but Motus took great care to follow all AMA rules, which are quite clear. Motus is an internationally recognized motorcycle manufacturer (WMI code/extension 1B9/975) and 600 examples of Motus MST's are available for purchase (again, call us and we'll get you a production slot and ship date). Specs, colors, warranty info, etc can be found at motusmotorcycles.com.

I'd be glad to talk personally at 205.208.9966, ext 104 to discuss motorcycles, racing, life, good BBQ, etc. I will also invite you to make an appointment to tour our factory in Birmingham, Alabama where you can see the bikes and how they are made.

Blue skies, green lights....

Lee Conn, president
205.208.9966, ext. 104

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:27:30 PM by Motus Factory Racing »

Offline JR529

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
Congratulations on your records!

I guess the difference comes from some thinking that available to purchase also means available to take retail delivery before the competition. Opinions vary and everyone has one. Obviously AMA sees this differently than some of the other sanctioning bodies. In the end it doesn't really matter as the Motus certainly appears to be a production bike that will be available shortly if not already. It's just that other sanctioning bodies have taken the alternative viewpoint when presented with this same situation. Both GM and Volkswagen were not allowed to run as production vehicles until they could prove 500 retail deliveries of the vehicle they wanted to compete with. But that was SCTA, not AMA. and you guys apparently cleared this with them before the event so in any case you guys were upfront and honest about it. If AMA is cool with it then you got the blessing of the only group that really matters. Again, congratulations on your records!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:44:38 PM by JR529 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »
Thanks for getting into the Forum, Lee, and I appreciate your willingness to offer respond to individual issues that have been broached here - especially since you've got a business to run.  I'll make my single comment as the head handlebar holder of this website -- it's www.landRACING.com, not landspeed dot com.  I'd hate for you to be telling folks that you're participating with the land speed racers - and direct them to somewhere we aren't. :roll:

Best wishes - and again, thanks for being willing to join the fray.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com