Author Topic: Motus record  (Read 13349 times)

Offline edinlr

Motus record
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
I saw where the new Motus set a couple records in 1650 pushrod production.  Doesn't the AMA have similar rules about the bikes need to be production and 500 examples have been built, just curious?
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

velocity

Re: Motus record
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
MOTUS  was granted production status after supplying extensive documentation showing its production inventory and other details required by the FIM.  MOTUS is in the final throes of 50-state EPA certification with the Feds and I believe the owners want a national roll-out to avoid any state-perceived favoritism.

I have been to the manufacturing plant in Birmingham, Alabama a couple times. Gonna stop in again mid-November. This is a most impressive American 2-wheel entry that will not only send shivers through the Japanese ranks but furrow quite a few European brows.

There's a new kid on the block and it fast, sweet and really done.

The owners know and revere the importance of a salt record. One owner's father set a few records on a Motoguzzi some years back. Does anyone recall the big red hot air balloon that gave free rides to any who asked? 

LSL

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
I'd like to hear how it was accepted too.

SCTA-BNI rules call for Motorcycle engines only in MC Classes. On their web site they advertize their engine for "Small Cars, Bouts and Motorcycles.

The engine is a 4 cylinder LS Chevy design or off shoot. If that engine is acceptable, then maybe a Boss Hoss motorcycle with a 502 Chevy engine should be acceptable too(?)?. There's no way for any other Pushrod motorcycle engine on the market today to compete with that technology.

Additionally; how many of those bike have been built?

The bikes come with bags, did they run the bags?? If not wouldn't that be (M) modified not (P) Production.

I'm not saying the bike ain't fast, they proved that, congratulations are in order for their performance, however I do wonder if it will actually meet the SCTA-BNI rule requirements.

Very nice bikes, if it is ruled that they meet SCTA-BNI rules for Production motorcycle, I'll be first in line to buy one.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
I don't disagree with your comments but I did go into their website and found they offer two models, one with bags and one without. I didn't dig much deeper so there may be other issues.

Pete

Offline JR529

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »
I'd like to hear how it was accepted too.

SCTA-BNI rules call for Motorcycle engines only in MC Classes. On their web site they advertize their engine for "Small Cars, Bouts and Motorcycles.

The engine is a 4 cylinder LS Chevy design or off shoot. If that engine is acceptable, then maybe a Boss Hoss motorcycle with a 502 Chevy engine should be acceptable too(?)?. There's no way for any other Pushrod motorcycle engine on the market today to compete with that technology.

Additionally; how many of those bike have been built?

The bikes come with bags, did they run the bags?? If not wouldn't that be (M) modified not (P) Production.

I'm not saying the bike ain't fast, they proved that, congratulations are in order for their performance, however I do wonder if it will actually meet the SCTA-BNI rule requirements.

Very nice bikes, if it is ruled that they meet SCTA-BNI rules for Production motorcycle, I'll be first in line to buy one.

Rouse

I am not concerned about the engine since it has a unique crank, block, heads, intake, camshaft, starter, bellhousing pattern, etc... It may have been inspired by an LS engine design but it sure isn't an LS engine. It is the Motus M/C engine. I'm sure they would love to sell it to anybody for anything but it is a M/C engine first (IMO).

My biggest concern is the availability. They may have made 500 already but until they are "available for sale to the general public through retail motorcycle dealers" then they don't meet the letter of the SCTA rulebook. In 2005 GM was not allowed to run their Cobalt for a PS record at Speedweek because it was not through certification and available for sale. They had to wait for World Finals. In 2012 Volkswagen was not allowed to run their Hybrid turbo for a PS record at Speedweek for exactly the same reason.
They returned at WF and set the record.

"The Jetta Hybrid land speed record car will qualify for breaking the current H/PS speed record of 167.518 mph. But due to rules on manufacturer production rates, Lago will have a second go-around on the salt later this year when the car becomes officially eligible for the H/PS title." (Motor Trend August 2012)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
AMA / FIA rules are different from SCTA / BNI as far as engine eligibility. That may be where the ruling comes in.

Pete

Offline rouse

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »
Like I said if it is declared legal for SCTA then I will buy one. If not I want worry about it.

Nice bike in any case, time may tell.
Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline edinlr

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »
Maybe "P" means prototype in AMA racing, instead of production :-D

On another note, why can cars race with bike engines (Hayabusa engine lakesters) and be legal, but try to stuff a Chevy engine in a bike....?
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline rouse

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 12:42:41 PM »
There was a change in the early 90,s which seperayed the prushrod bikes out . That was because most of the pushrod biles were "old school technology, thus (P) v (PP) , I'm not sue were car engine technology fits either.
Johnnie Rouse

Offline RansomT

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
. This is a most impressive American 2-wheel entry that will not only send shivers through the Japanese ranks but furrow quite a few European brows.

There's a new kid on the block and it fast, sweet and really done.

I'm sure it is sweet and really well built, but I don't believe it is going to get the Japenese or European builders attention.  At a cost well north of $35,000, it isn't competetive.  You can purchase a Kawasaki Zx-14R that has more power and cruises quite well PLUS a BMW S1000rr that will blow its wheels off on a road course PLUS a Honda Grom to run errands or as pit bike:  ALL for the same cost as the Motus "R"... Now maybe the Harley folks will get worried.

Offline rouse

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
$35K is that for one?
Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
I have been following the MOTUS and it is a nice bike but at 35k it is way overpriced. I would rather buy a gold wing instead. I don't think  the big four or any other motorcycle company even care about what MOTUS does on or off the salt.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

velocity

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:28:50 AM »
Before anyone cries more crocodile tears about the price, you oughta ride one.  I used to think $50K for Corvette was nuts. My Corvette mechinca told me, on no uncertain terms, to NOT drive the C7 Stingray. Well, there is salesman in Missouri who will be telling tales for years of the hour-long test drive that he will never forget and how they will doubtless need to put new tires on the car before they sell it.

The convoluted and complicated EPA certification is holding up MOTUS delivery. I fully expect many more than 500 will be sold. What's a Hayabusa going for theses days?

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 02:08:56 AM »
Don't get me wrong louise i like the motus very much. It is a cool bike but i think it is over priced by about 15k. 20k would be a fair price for the bike. MSRP for a 2014 busa is $14,599.00
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline rouse

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »
I really don't give 2bits about how outrageous the pricing is that they have come  up with, that will probably relegate the bike to a simply novelty.

I do however think that if that bike is called a Production pushrod bike, that it should meet the sanctioning bodies rules regulating the class.

At this point this bike looks like a "Works" production with a "WORKS Frame" and a "WORKS engine" , nothing wrong with "Works construction" other than it would not fit the (PP) Production nor the (M)Modified class structure in SCTA-BNI, It would indeed fit properly into the (A) special construction class structure.

Probably not the first time a bike has run in the wrong class.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse