Author Topic: big thumbs up to the organizers!  (Read 3814 times)

Offline nrhs sales

big thumbs up to the organizers!
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the organizers of the new motorcycle speed trials. With all of the water that was on the course on Saturday it would have been easy to just say "screw it" and cancel the event but instead they worked tirelessly to give us a course to run on and to keep going even after it rained some more allowing everyone the chance to get runs in.   Thank you!!!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: big thumbs up to the organizers!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
I wan't there but I'll give a big AMEN to the efforts by the organizers.  Well done.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline maj

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:14 AM »
 :cheers: 
Big thumbs up to all running , helping or otherwise involved ,
tough decisions to make all week , tough conditions from one day to the next and from my view point they got it right every time
Heart felt  Thanks to all 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:04:43 AM »
It took a lot of creative thinking to make everything work with the bad weather.  I always thought the salt flats were just that.  Not so.  There are higher and drier parts and there was just enough room for a track.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
Agree with cudos to the management and crew...............BUT NOT THE GAS-LINE FIASCO. 
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »
We were running our own fuel this year so we did not have to deal with the gas situation.  But I saw what a mess it was.  I would encourage all of you who are upset about it to voice your opinion "nicely" to Delvene and crew and hopefully things can change for next year.

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS and The rest of the Crew......

Lets Rock the Salt in 2015......
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
I echo what Dan said and was happy to get in the 5 runs that I did.  Running the Speed Trials this year was a challenge that was not without it's issues.  The organizers did as well as they could, and everyone should have had time to get at least 4 runs on the 2-3 days that were good.  I talked to Rick at the fuel truck on Saturday and since he had just got his big rig and trailer in, he said it would be late before he could start dispensing gasoline on Sunday.  I heard that he almost got stuck on a previous attempt, and a tractor trailer is not something you want stuck on the salt.  If we had known how late, we could have left old gas in the tank and gone out and made some test and tune runs, as pre-stage was almost empty. In any case, I got there early and got fueled before noon.  I'm guessing some people waited nearly all day.

The lines at the Mountain Course, where all bikes running less than 125 mph had to run, caused a back-up that caused a lot of folks to complain.  I received the following message from one of the course workers, which sheds some light on the problem.

"Tom,

The single biggest holdup on mountain one is riders not clearing the course. Now being my first year of volunteering I am have limited perspective on how it worked in the past, but it was pretty unbelievable to me the amount of people who powered to the end of the course(two miles past the final timing lights), pulled off next to the course and stopped, or we had at least four (that I remember) that turned around and came back down the course. Some of them that had been racing for years. Maybe that is a flag issue that could be addressed, or maybe we need a more intensive riders meeting. Rex was going to have a video made that showed how to run the course and host it on youtube so everyone could watch it repeatedly before the actual event. I think it is a good idea.

I think fundamentally the biggest issue is trying to move the slowest, least experienced riders through one place. They talked about doing a third course a few years ago for this exact thing. This year there may not have been enough salt to accommodate that, so we did the best we could.

On the note of doing with what we had, I think putting new riders on the international course this year would have resulted in more accidents because of the loose salt conditions. Scaring new racers is not going to help them come back, and that should be the goal for all of us to make sure they want to come back or there wont be a motorcycle only event.

The wait time sucked, but it has always been a long wait. Last year I waited four hours and then right before my run "lucky Keiser", or whatever his name is, went down hard. It was another two hours and that was at mountain zero, not mountain one.

The one thing that I want to make very clear is there is almost no down time caused by the staff. I am not being defensive here. Before this year I thought there was a lot that the staff could do to speed things up. I now know there is not much that the staff has control over. The guys in the booth never took a break as far as I could tell, and are as competent at over-seeing the goings on as anyone could be. I mean we are talking Tom Burkland. I am not as clear on how staging works, but for the most part they can only send as many riders out that we, the starters, request from them.

I have a few ideas and I should see Tom and Rex this weekend. They asked me for my ideas on how we can do better. I don't have the answers, but for my own, and everyone else sake would truly like to see it flow better. It is awful hard to set records when you have a run a day to do it in. I want this event to continue, that means making people happy.

I will be racing with the USFRA this weekend. I will watch how they do things, maybe I can learn something and pass it on."

I hope the above will help explain the problems that caused the long lines.  I have a few ideas and they will be passed on.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline pasodude

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
Had a great time ! Thank you bmst ! :cheers:

Offline shutterpilot

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »
Good background info on the Mtn Course Koncretekid. And I don't feel so bad about the Gas fiasco, but there still had to be a better way.
I never thought the delays were staffing issues, but rather workflow. Maybe a call to Disney's Imagineers is in order - disney's all about minimizing lines etc. :wink:
It comes down to your quote "It is awful hard to set records when you have a run a day to do it in."

But back to business - Yes, a BIG thumbs up to the organizers, staff and volunteers. Brilliant event.