Author Topic: Pacemaker  (Read 3399 times)

Offline RichFox

Pacemaker
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
So next month when all the cool guys are at Bonneville for the World Finials I will be getting a pacemaker installed. That should be a good thing. But, my Dr. gave me a list of things to avoid after having it installed. Included, Mig welders, Tig welders, Stick welders, Plasma cutters, and 44 amp magnetos. We all know there are plenty of geezers at Bonneville and I won't be the only guy with a pacemaker. Are you old guys really avoiding welders?

Offline jacksoni

Re: Pacemaker
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »
Somehow unless you were holding on to the electrodes- 'specially that 44 amp mag- I wouldn't think a problem. During surgery we had to turn off the pacers, especially the ones with defibrillators, when using electocautery, which runs some current through the body. Bipolar cautery probably was safe and I know there were times we didn't turn it off. Most pacers are turned off with a special magnet that goes over it. You might be able to turn it off yourself when welding. Assuming your heart is more or less pacing normally at the time...... Depends on what your conduction defect is.  And, I am an ophthalmologist, not a cardiologist so take all the above with a lot of what we run on. As they say, YMMV :roll:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
jacksoni You have done a valuable post. The people in our racing fraternity are much more apt to

take your suggestion to heart (sic) since you are a respected professional with a love for LSR.

Maybe it will loosen up someone when he needs to ask a question of the cardio guy.

GOOD JOB.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »
Mine just runs slow. 45 bpm avg. 31 resting low. But I'm hitting most of the beats. One we crank this thing up, watch out.

Offline joea

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
I'm in the OR nearly everyday doing anesthesia, and we do just as Jack described...

I just walked to our cath lab area and spoke with one of our Electrophysiologists, told him I have a friend...Motörhead ..welding and magnetos an important aspect of his lifestyle etc ...

He recommended impressing upon your EP/cardiologist guy now exactly that..!!..and that knowing how important it is up front isnt something they always fully understand or appreciate and that in many situations It IS possible to have a pacemaker that has ability for you to put in mode that turns off magnetic sending for periods of time that you want it off to weld etc..
it's your device and lifestyle ...

Joe :)

Offline bbarn

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
Not a pacemaker, but a similar situation. My oldest son just had a VNS installed (Vegus Nerve Stimulator). Very close to a pacemaker by design, it just functions differently. It is used to break up epileptic neuro-pathways by imparting a voltage directly to the vegus nerve. Anyhow, it comes with a magnet that you can swipe to turn it up during a seizure, but reading the full pamphlet showed other uses for the magnet.

It comes with the exact same warnings. No welding, no MRI, no high-frequency waves, avoid commercial antenna installations.... Turns out that it is completely MRI safe, the warning is there because some lawyer thought it should be. (They did an MRI to confirm its placement after the surgery!)

Since this device is used near the vocal chords, it can interfere with speaking. You can tape the magnet right over the device (on your skin) to disable it for periods of time to give a speech or to sing. I would imaging that they could do the same thing with a pacing device.

The best thing you can do is be completely honest with your doctor and let him know how important it is...AND...take his advice, he probably knows what he is talking about too!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Thank you for the advice. I am going to send an email to the doctor right now. I didn't know if this was  good thing to ask about here. But I have information that is coming from people i trust (pretty much). So thanks again I am acting on your suggestion right now.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »
Rich;

There's an alternative, sort of-- the old-school oxy-acetylene torch for welding.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
Yes, thank you. Bob Dalton called today to suggest the same thing. Might have to consider it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
And here I was thinking all you need is a chainmail vest and a ground wire.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »
And here I was thinking all you need is a chainmail vest and a ground wire.  :-D

Ah, yes - King Richard the Fox.

Huzzah, oh Majesty of Metal Mending, Wizard of Welds, Hero of Heads.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

You'll figure out a work-around.

Midget of Milwaukee

aka - the Bore of Beerhaven . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
And here I was thinking all you need is a chainmail vest and a ground wire.  :-D

As they said in Prague in the Middle Ages, "The Czech is in the mail."   :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
Now wait . . .

Jon is the Hero of Heads.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »
Now wait . . .

Jon is the Hero of Heads.

BLASPHEME!

SILENCE, INFIDEL!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: