Author Topic: SpeedWeek at 2014 World Finals  (Read 63931 times)

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
Re: SpeedWeek at 2014 World Finals
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:57 AM »
We spent the week and especially Sunday getting the trailer all packed up. Came in, ate dinner, and then got the word that the event was scrubbed. Damn. Oh well, I am very grateful for SCTA to make the call early and spare the travel expenses. Our team really appreciates all the effort that SCTA expended this year trying to juggle the events around the weather and I guess we will be all the more ready for next year.
Pork Pie, you are always welcome in southeast Texas!
The Big Red Truck From Texas
Chock Full O' Nuts
Record Holder AA/PP A/PP B/PP C/PP D/PP (Oops, Larry got this one!) E/PP

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »
We were ready to leave Tuesday.  Advance notice is really appreciated.  Thank You to the SCTA for assessing this as hopeless and saving us the added expense of traveling. Although I really like the cross country road trip.  :cheers:

Pork Pie, It was our (Marcia Barker and I) pleasure meeting and visiting with you in August at Speed Week. Maybe you need to visit the east coast this time and see Carlisle and Hershey swap meets in the beginning of  October. 

Frank

Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
Last night we went to bed around 9.30 our time (6.30 California time, 7.30 Wendover time), and this morning I found a voice mail from Bill Lattin - - that had arrived soon after we shut off the phone ringers and hit the sack.  He told me that the meet was cancelled. 

I certainly appreciate being given the notice, Bill.  I'm sorry that I wasn't awake and able to post the news to the landracing.com website.

Thanks again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
  Pork Pie,
  Which way are you going this week? Always an open invitation up here in the North country to do a tour of some type.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
Hey -- if Doug can offer then so can we.  Pork Pie, have you  interest in visiting us way up north?  This is the right time of year to see great displays of fall colors, and we could show you lots of other stuff that makes this area so special.  We've even got a spare bedroom.

Okay, so you've decided to decline our offer.  How about you stopping by at Wilmington, Ohio, to see the ECTA event there?  It's very well attended and interesting -- and quite a bit different from racing at Bonneville.  And there's no doubt in my mind that you'd be welcome.

Visit Ohio first -- the event is this coming weekend (27 & 28 September) -- and then head up north.  We live about 10-12 hours north of Wilmington.

See you soon, I hope.  Ask for directions to our house.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Good - that this time I know it right on time...so the big camera can stay home...

Bad......what I do now...again a tourist....where to go this time???

Any idea??????

How is the weather (snow/temperature/road condition) in the different states (especially north) to this time in the year?????

Pork Pie, I would call the airlines and see if they will move your flight to dates next year with a small change fee.  Even nonrefundable tickets can be moved for a fee if changed before the scheduled flight.  You might be able to save some time and money.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
Good - that this time I know it right on time...so the big camera can stay home...

Any idea??????

How is the weather (snow/temperature/road condition) in the different states (especially north) to this time in the year?????
Temps still reasonable up this way & a little early for snow. Yell if you come this way, empty house to stay in.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
This photo was taken by Tom Reade just this morning.  The only "dry" land that appears is the newly-repaired entry strip of salt that was trucked in before the Shootout - and it has a few puddles and some erosion.  Way off in the distance you can see the NW corner of the Salduro dike and Floating Island way over at the extreme left.

Was it wise to cancel the event last night?  I think so. :-D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:33:54 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »
Too shallow for a ski boat, not enough fish for fishing, not enough surf for a surf board, too deep to dry for racing.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
I'll bet water skiing behind Lee Kennedy's truck could be a blast!!

That wake would be awesome!!

Thanks to the SCTA for being there to make a sound decision.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »

Any idea??????

Head to Wilmington Ohio weather for this weekends ECTA Land Speed Racing looks to be perfect. Soory to hear the Worlds event has been canceled mother nature has certainly made a mess of things.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:57 AM »
got the ok from the travel agency, I can storno the rental car for a small fee and can move my flight to August next year for a small fee....so I will stay home

Did the SCTA/BNI got an idea when Speedweek 2015 can be....would be great....would have than the change to book now direct for the right time....thanks in advance
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
Thomas,
   Are you traveling this week or going back already? [No snow up here yet and there are a lot of roads untravelled].
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline sabat

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
got the ok from the travel agency, I can storno the rental car for a small fee and can move my flight to August next year for a small fee....so I will stay home

Did the SCTA/BNI got an idea when Speedweek 2015 can be....would be great....would have than the change to book now direct for the right time....thanks in advance

I saw Aug 8-14th posted here by an SCTA person, possibly Dan Warner. Not sure if this is absolute. -Dean

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »
Just a reminder. Don't forget to cancel your room reservations.  :roll: Wayno