Author Topic: SpeedWeek at 2014 World Finals  (Read 64087 times)

Offline vintageracecar

Re: SpeedWeek at 2014 World Finals
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
Jon,
For once I guess you will have to wait like everybody else, until the board meeting minutes are published.
As you know well, the SCTA Secretary will forward them to all club reps, presidents and other SCTA/BNI
members on the list in a couple of days. I believe you are one of them, if not, please contact the SCTA
Secretary. He will gladly forward the minutes to you as well.
Just to take some of the suspense out of this forum, nobody was elected at last Friday nights board meeting.
The nominations were held and the ballots will be sent out shortly, to be voted on by all SCTA members.
BTW. There are several SCTA clubs, which are willing to accept out of state memberships. Some of them are
even willing to cover your El Mirage patrol. (or you can arrange for another club member to do it) 
There you go, no more excuses. Become a SCTA club member and get your own vote.
Mike

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
Mike, I was a member of one of the group of member clubs - and dropped that affiliation a few years back.  I might re-up, though.  The one I chose did not make an issue of me being unable to do course work duties at EM meets - save for charging a higher annual fee for the membership.

I dropped out because I didn't feel I was getting much for my membership dollars.  I might re-think that now.  Thanks for the elbow-jog.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Landspeedroadster

• New folks
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »
Looks like they just called it boys.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
Here is the text:

SCTA Southern California Timing Association
10 minutes ago
Speed Week at World Finals Update:

From your SCTA advance crew at 7:30 PM Sunday it's raining now. Speed Week at World Finals at the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats has been cancelled. The advance crew consisting of SCTA President Scott Andrews and Race Director Bill Lattin have reviewed the BSF race courses and determined that they are too wet to have any reasonable expectation of them being dry enough to provide a quality race course. We owe our competitors and fans the most accurate assessment and a real picture of the current and expected conditions. The SCTA wishes to thank all of our loyal racers, sponsors, volunteers, and wonderful fans for your undying support of the SCTA and the Bonneville Salt Flats. The entire SCTA and BNI Boards have worked tirelessly to give you the best Land Speed Racing experience and anything less than that is not acceptable to us. We look forward to being your racing choice next year, but for this year at Bonneville Mother Nature hold's the records. See you on the salt in 2015!

Looks like a good call on that below the current 1 hour storm total radar precip estimate, showing up to 0.75 inches of rain approaching the flats. Due to the image delays that stuff is probably over the flats right now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:53:54 PM by hotrod »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »
I have been watching the radar (from Oregon) for the last few days. I am not surprised at all. Many thanks to Scott and all the SCTA for looking, thinking, and making a reasonable decision early so I don' get to make that 5100 mile drive for nuttin'. Disappointed but so it goes. Thanks guys.[/size]
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Man that sucks! Thanks to all the SCTA volunteers and everyone that works to make landracing happen!

Rocket
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:15:15 AM by Rocket123 »
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline Texican

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »

Today's date
21    Thunderstorm
Actual:
73 | 57    0.26 <---here's your killer!
Average:
70 | 50    0.01

Offline desotoman

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »
Post was not meant for me to respond to. 

Tom G.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:09:55 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »
In all the years (since 1981) I have been an SCTA member I have always received the SCTA board/reps meeting minutes from my club secretary not from the SCTA secretary.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 12:10:37 AM »
World finals won't happen..too wet I am certain..

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 12:41:48 AM »
Good prediction considering they decided to cancel.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 12:42:24 AM »
Yep

Called off on Facebook

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2014, 12:45:12 AM »
Sad really..only hope is Cooks last date.. :x. Did not see the FB...just looked at all of the rain and weather patterns.

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 01:21:38 AM »
Tom G.,

If you read my post, you will see that it was specifically addressed to Jon (SSS).
I mentioned that my believe was, that he is on the SCTA Secretaries e-mail list for the board meeting minutes.
Nowhere did I say or imply, that the SCTA Secretary is e-mailing, or willing to e-mail these minutes to all 900 SCTA
members. All 11 SCTA clubs have a President and at least a Secretary or Treasurer. They can take care of that just
fine. If you are not getting your minutes, its your clubs fault and further more, you could show up at a meeting once
in a while. For a fellow with so much to say, you never really show up where it counts, I guess.

I personally believe that guys like Jon (SSS), Joe Timney (ECTA), Glenn Barrett (USFRA), Hugh Coltharp or Monte (USFRA)
and others who are involved in trying to help and promote all LSR events in somewhat of a leadership roll, should and would
always be welcome to receive the SCTA board minutes.

Our current Secretary has been doing a great job in keeping us up to date and if he decided to send the minutes
to the club presidents and reps, so they can forward the minutes to their club members, that is his prerogative.

For several years now, the SCTA boards secretary and SCTA office has been trying, for the SCTA club
presidents to collect all their members e-mail addresses and forward them to our office. (some of them are not
doing a good job)
We are trying to send out the Straight-Away News and other publications via the e-mail system, rather then having
to send out between 2 and 3000 letters (SCTA & BNI combined) several times a year.
The printing and mailing costs a lot of membership $$$$ and think about the volunteer time.
At this time, many members are receiving our publications via e-mail, but ALL still receive them via snail mail as well.

But I guess, most of this discussion really does not belong in the SpeedWeek @ World Finals Subject Forum, sorry Jon.
Mike

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 05:54:47 AM »
Good - that this time I know it right on time...so the big camera can stay home...

Bad......what I do now...again a tourist....where to go this time???

Any idea??????

How is the weather (snow/temperature/road condition) in the different states (especially north) to this time in the year?????
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)