Author Topic: SpeedWeek at 2014 World Finals  (Read 63934 times)

Offline gearheadeh

Re: SpeedWeek at 2014 World Finals
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Three times I have tried to get to Bonneville and ALL THREE TIMES the event got rained/flooded out.  So to help assure a dry World Finals, I am not going.  Conclusion:  I am the reason that events get rained out. 
If anyone reading this lives somewhere that needs rain, please feel free to invite to come there. 

Is this you?

40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the forecasted rain missed Bonneville Salt Flats today?
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
Radar shows they got some rain. Storm total rainfall estimate looks like over .5 inch and less than .75 inch when I last checked it.
Mike Cook Jr. posted on face book a short video showing it raining, said it had been raining for about 15 min or so when he posted it.

Offline dw230

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »
If and when you get to the event be sure to thank Mike Cook and Ron Main for the repairs they did to the boat ramp and the entrance road that was built for you. The SCTA and USFRA had nothing to do with said repairs so do not give them credit.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jww36

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
Does anyone know how many courses may be available for SpeedWeek/2014 World Finals?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
The goal is two courses, most likely in the area where USFRA had their two for WoS.  That's up in the area where the Salduro dike makes the big bend to the east.  I got that scoop from Bill Lattin a couple of days ago.  He said he and others would be out there this weekend or Monday or something - to inspect and prepare the courses among other things.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Why no FB comments from the SCTA, re: the rain on the salt the other day?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline joea

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
crickets are chirping, popcorn is popping....

seriously though, the lake at lands end that Mike Cook jr posted video of yesterday
from the storm thurs night certainly has many i know holding off on plane tickets and such
as this game called LSR builds character in all of us

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
Current Nat Weather Service forecast is calling for 70% chance of thunderstorms on Sunday falling to 60% in the evening, then sunny, so not out of the woods yet even if it is drying well.
Of course boots on the ground with a salt and surf report would be the best info but that will have to wait until the inspection crew gets out there.

Good news is the current port of entry cam shows bright sunshine and no standing water near the camera.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
Again I'll say that I talked with BLattin a couple of days ago and he told me that he and others will be out at the salt again by today or tomorrow or Monday (don't remember which) -- but in any case, there'll be staff there a couple of days before tech inspection begins.  Remembering that they SCTA plans to use the courses from the USFRA (or very nearly those courses) - there'll be somewhat less course grooming to do.  Drag and polish, yes, but not too much in the way of surveying and marking - assuming that the blue and purple and pink lines haven't faded.

Whatever the case -- we should be hearing something about the conditions out there very soon.

Speaking of hearing -- has anyone heard anything about the SCTA board meeting last night?  I think this meeting was the one where election of officers was made.  Any changes?  Who's been given the boot?  Who's been re-elected for another year?  Who quit?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
on SCTA FB abit ago: around 3 PST

SPEEDWEEK AT WORLD FINALS UPDATE:

As you may of heard we had a rainstorm come in on Thursday at the Bonneville Salt Flats. The storm added about an 3/4 of an inch of water on parts of our race courses and pit area. Our Race Director and several Board Members are on their way up there to prep our race courses and assess the condition of the salt flats. We should have more information for you by Sunday evening or Monday morning.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
I got these two photos today.  They were taken yesterday (Friday) around 2PM.  I don't know who was the photographer -- so sorry, but I can't give credits.  I got them from Ron Main.

There was a half-inch or so of rain Thursday evening, I think.  The forecast for tomorrow and tomorrow night says 60 - 70% chance of more rain, followed by a few warm days and a batch of cooler days.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.7371490590005&lon=-114.0375068349997&site=all&smap=1#.VB4K_-fK7bs

I don't have any further information on the number of pre-entries but will try to get a report and letcha know what I discover.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Sandee

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
It really bothers me that there are so many people throwing negative judgment around about SCTA and why they haven't said anything. While you are all sitting around in your homes with your families this weekend, my husband is driving up to Bonneville with his team to check it out and give the report when he gets there. He hasn't forgotten, and people won't let him forget, how he was treated when he made a call to cancel a race at El Mirage this year based on someone else's veteran observations... So he goes himself now. I am very disappointed with the lack of professionalism I see on this forum bagging on SCTA about this, from people purported to represent SCTA.  I guess he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Nothing has been said because they've been in California wrapping things up, and even having a Board meeting Friday night until 11. Hard to give a salt report when you're not on the salt.

velocity

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
It really bothers me that there are so many people throwing negative judgment around about SCTA and why they haven't said anything. While you are all sitting around in your homes with your families this weekend, my husband is driving up to Bonneville with his team to check it out and give the report when he gets there. He hasn't forgotten, and people won't let him forget, how he was treated when he made a call to cancel a race at El Mirage this year based on someone else's veteran observations... So he goes himself now. I am very disappointed with the lack of professionalism I see on this forum bagging on SCTA about this, from people purported to represent SCTA.  I guess he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Nothing has been said because they've been in California wrapping things up, and even having a Board meeting Friday night until 11. Hard to give a salt report when you're not on the salt.

Sandee -

After reading your comment, it troubled me so I went back to the beginning of this thread to see if someone had pooped on SCTA and/or Scott unfairly. Other than someone asking about an update on the SCTA FB page I could discern no barbs, slights or denigration of the organization or your husband.

The tone of this thread is that of VERY WORRIED people who have to make hard decisions, often in advance of when the call is made about the viability of an event moving forward. This is especially true for our European racing family that must ship this speed machines weeks in advance, and the eastern racers who have at least 3 full days of driving, sometimes more.

That we are in the second year of rainouts sharpens the attention to the situation. As for professionalism, this is an amateur sport populated by racing teams using shoestring budgets, not the like the pro crowd that often has a meteorologist on retainer to give teams updates on temp, density altitude and other critical weather data for tuning purposes.

It seems the vast majority of comments are bits and pieces of small facts deposited in the forum for all to read. Of course the sanctioning body has the last word, it is their budget being blown when the meet is called. For all the trouble it will cause SCTA if World Finals is a washout, it is equally, if not more burdensome for Mike Cook in terms of economy of scale.

My troubles are nothing in comparison: 6 assigned land speed stories by major National and international newspapers and magazines. The editors and I have already juggled the deadlines and focus three times this year and I am woefully hopeful to be able to sing the record-setting praises of any land speed racers. Millions of eyeballs will NOT see what ingenious, brave and charming people come to the salt to churn out speed. For a photojournalist and storyteller it is like blowing up 6 engines in one week. Too bad. That's racing. We all gotta be pliable enough to bend when all our grand plans get blown away.

MOST land speed racers are VERY grateful for the volunteer efforts of everyone at SCTA, USFRA and the BMST that labor long and doggedly to craft an event on whys left of the Bonneville Salt Flats. Yes, it is often a thankless job, but the joy comes in pulling together to do what cannot be done alone. I tell you these things because throughout the past 20 years of chronicling this heartwarming and invigorating sport the racers and their families have told me the same things over and over again. There is more gratitude than there is ineptitude.

Unfortunately, we often chaff at the small people with big mouths when our well-intended labors are dumped on. For this thread, it is not the case.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:00:48 PM by velocity »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »
Sandee said:  "... people purported to represent SCTA."

Sandee, I thought that the racers ARE the SCTA and the elected officials were elected to represent the SCTA to all.  As for damned if he does and damned if he doesn't - well, that's the way elected officials have been treated from time immemorial.  Or, as Abe Lincoln said it, you can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.  Substitute the word "please" for "fool" and you'll have it correct for all elected folks.

So -- how'd the Board meeting Friday night go?  I heard that there was the annual election of officers.  I don't know if it was SCTA only or if BNI officers were nominated and elected at the same time.  Perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me know.  I checked the FB site of SCTA and saw only an announcement that the election meeting was coming up Friday night.  But it's Sunday -- and no results?  I'm not trying to stir the muddy pot here -- just asking who'll be representing the racers for the next year.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com