Author Topic: minimum requirements (do I need a cage?)  (Read 8177 times)

Offline kinda_slow

• New folks
minimum requirements (do I need a cage?)
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »
I'm waiting for my rule book to arrive and I'm wondering if there are any classes with slow record speeds that do not require a cage?

I realize safety is important but I'm hoping its like drag racing where requirements are triggered by higher trap speeds.

I don't want to go back to the days where a lap belt was all the safety gear you need but hopefully under 150 a race seat, harness bar and nine airbags should be safe enough.

Unfortunately the car I want to race can't get caged unless I win the lottery and it can go from a daily driver to a strictly LSR car.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: minimum requirements (do I need a cage?)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »
About the only event you can run without a cage is the 130 club, which is sanctioned by the USFRA.  There are no records - just a limit of 139.999 mph.

http://www.saltflats.com/I30_Club_2009.html

If it's licensed, street legal and has a driveshaft loop, you're pretty much good to go.

There was a time when the dual purpose driver/LSR car was a possibility, but that's virtually impossible to achieve, if you're looking to run on a record.

Once your rule book arrives, you'll see what I mean.

Welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:45:20 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »
KindaSlow, Depending on where you are, the USFRA 130 and 150 Clubs might suit you. Wayno

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »
ECTA and LTA both also offer opportunities for running up to 135 with reasonable safety regs.  Links to the sites for both are on the home page here.

No organization I know of that has an antidote for the addiction that follows though.

List your location, you might be surprised at how close some one who could help you might be.

Ed

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
His location indicates "Unknown Quantity, Utah".  That's a funny name for a town, but if it's in Utah, then the World of Speed meet will be your best friend.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline BigIron

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
Mr. Slow,
You might want to check out the Mojave Mile event in April.

http://www.mojavemile.com/

It's a standing Mile or Mile and a half on asphalt.

Some of their lower classes can run  without cage/bar.  Be sure to read the rule book - there are a bunch of other rules.