Author Topic: Landracing.com's new Facebook page  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Landracing.com's new Facebook page
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Talk about going to the dark side -- I've created a Facebook page to go along with this website.  Go to Facebook and enter "landracing.com" in the search bar and you oughta find it.  I noticed that you'll have to put in all of that name - including the ".com", so don't forget and wonder why you didn't find it.

Since I don't know Facebook stuff from a hole in the butt ground I'll be bold and ask you folks to tell me what you think ought to be there.  I have an idea of what you're allowed to do or add, but there'll be things and features that I have to incorporate - right?

Have at it. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Landracing.com's new Facebook page
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »
lol   It reminds me of old folks saying about "the blind leading the blind"   shall we learn together---lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
I guess I have to ask why.  What can you do there that you can't/don't do here? 

Putting content on facebook that doesn't get put on here will dis-advantage a lot of users.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
I see it as being useful for short announcements related to current events.
One more path for notification of updates on salt conditions, changes in race dates or weather delays, major announcements of records, new cars attending scheduled events.
For the folks who follow FB, on a regular basis if they like and follow your page it is a very quick way to see new things. Logging on the forum especially on a portable device it is a bit more difficult to scan through all the traffic to see what threads are of interest.

Especially like this years Speed Week when all attention is focused on a primary event, it would be a good way to post important updates.
Also during covered events if some one runs a spectacular run, a quick post on the FB page could direct folks to the discussion thread on the forum.

Easier to post pictures of conditions and such as well.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
Key will be using it as a tool to drive folks to the site.  Judicious editing will be of great value to that end.

I'll like it - someday soon . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
Mike, Larry has it right.  We'll all use the regular ol' site and forum, just like before, and the FB page will ( I hope ) be both a place for quick-breaking news (easy to enter from a phone or something) and also a way to get folks who might not browse the internet for the website.

I hope so.  Oh, yeh -- then there's also the fact that we can set the Facebook page/website so that when I put something on the site -- it'll show up on Facebook right away, too.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  Whichever, I think it'll help get more folks to use the website, and that could, I hope, translate into more people to support the site (support = $$ in this meaning) - and so I'd have to spend a bit less time whining about getting a few shekels from one and all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
Easy, just post a link to www.landracing.com:lol:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

:evil:  Hmmm I wonder if the SCTA page will "Friend"  Landracing.com---  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »

Be instantly seen by anyone who spends most of their time on face book and rarely logs in to the forum during the day.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »
Look at these links and decide for yourself whether facebook or? is good for you.

Tom G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ewMAU79Y4

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shocked-to-learn-how-data-brokers-are-watching-you/
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
Wait here... Things that are being forgotten is the future, where we were and were it is going and how do you react to what the future is.

Landracing.com mission in past has always been promoting the sport, getting the latest information out, be a leader in information, capture historical information etc. etc.    However, things happen and sometimes that just cannot happen.

So what do you do for the future to maintain  website technology in todays day and age where immediate information is readily available by other medias... Simple, you must integrate or get left behind. 

So for instance there was a complaining going on about SCTA website versus Facebook on the timing of information for each.... What was done seems inefficient in getting information out together. Two different media avenues, probably by two different people.  Why not integrate Facebook into the website. Both get updated at the same time with the most current information. Also can be said same for twitter. 

The wave of the future is integration by multiple means of communication and systems. That includes regular website, facebook, twitter, youtube and text messaging.  The second part of that is you must understand mobile technology in Iphone, Ipads and Android and how you deliver to those effectively. You must embrace these technologies and keep moving forward.  Understanding these technologies and how they can benefit flow of information is key to future.

Jon

Offline jdincau

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
There are a couple of problems with Facebook;
Posts don't stay in the order they were posted.
Old stories go to the top of the feed when someone comments on them.

It can be a pain
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »

The wave of the future is integration by multiple means of communication and systems.

It's no different than building race cars.

Magnetos to breakerless ignition to ECUs.

Mechanical to hydraulic to disc to anti-lock brakes.

Carbs to mechanical to electronic fuel injection.

I love me them flatheads, but Objects in this mirror are closer than they appear.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
There are a couple of problems with Facebook;
Posts don't stay in the order they were posted.
Old stories go to the top of the feed when someone comments on them.

It can be a pain

Plenty of workarounds and fixes for that... Depends on what your means of using and integration...

IF landracing.com is to become only a social media website then the mission or vision may have to change... If landracing.com wants to be a historical website with new and fresh content, NOT including the forum, then the current look and feel is workable since the backend is Joomla...   

I do not know what the vision and mission is for the future of the website or what the website is to be, that will be a deciding factor in what "could" be done. OF course that could be none of our business either.. Just throwing out workable options that can be used.

Latest study released that people, i.e. consumers, would rather get text messages than email, paper mail is now coming back into the mix of how information gets to consumers. If you are making deliverables then QR Codes are a necessity to help the consumer get there. 

Second to that, consumers want links in text to a smart phone friendly application that is easy to read. Where are the trends and future going? Standard computers are fading fast, laptops are still here but the future is smart media tablets and phones. If you are updating why just think about the what was? Think what is today offering and what is tomorrow delivering today...  Think Iwatch, Google Glasses, Heads up displays....

Making information easy to share is a must in the digital age, how else does information go viral?

Are you a leader, follower or sharer of information?

Jon 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
I'll put this here, too.  It's a link to the landracing.com Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/landracingcom/536754913092376

I'll do what I can to keep it as timely as it can be.  Today - in fact this whole weekend - don't expect me to add much.  Nancy and I are working at the Marquette Area BluesFest all three days.  She manages the merchandise tent, I run one of the follow spotlights.  It's a great way to point out good-looking girls in the crown - when you're running a zillion-candlepower light. :evil:

Anyway - help yourselves to the FB page.  Keep it going and keep looking at it, please. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com