Author Topic: Rule change for additional spill plates  (Read 14041 times)

Offline jl222

Rule change for additional spill plates
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:37:17 PM »

Working on the wording for adding more spill plates on spoilers than  the 2 now allowed on ends. Ralley cars have several along spoiler and have amazing handling in loose conditions.
  I think this would result in fewer spins and a safer meet.

Deadline for rule changes Sept 1st.

JL222

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Rule change for additional spill plates
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
As you mention the WRC style multi fin spoilers have proven to be highly effective at high angles of attack (ie way sideways).

They behave similar to grid fin stabilizers used on some weapon systems for the same reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_fin

aftermarket clone of the WRC spoiler design

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/2454532/Subaru_Impreza_8_9th_WRC_Style_Spoiler.html

Offline MRK

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
I have two suggestions.
Call what we now call “sill plates”, call them “end plates” or “fences” and the proposed vertical elements, “diverters” or “guides” and apply specifications as to their use.
Or leave the rule as it is and it be understood that those additional vertical elements are “diverters” or “guides” and NOT "sill plates" with no restriction on their use.
My .02 from my 64 sqf of heaven on a Monday morning. :-D
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:03 PM »

Yeah..the wording, their not really spill plates, but as Larry's post points out, fins.

I think in order to pass the specs should remain the same. But as you say, no restriction on how many.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:00:16 AM »
Safety being key - I support this!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »
Have they been allowed for awhile?

Also, in the book I cannot find where it states you can only have two verticals .

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »
Have they been allowed for awhile?

No. They've been not not allowed this whole time. It's a bit of a grey area. Not specifically forbidden but also not specifically allowed either. It's called rules creep. Give a racer a foot and before long they'll want a mile. Now they're trying to attempt to tighten up on what specifically is allowed or isn't.

Also, in the book I cannot find where it states you can only have two verticals .

You probably also didn't find where it says that you can have more than two, did you?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Nick Flores

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:48:22 AM »

You probably also didn't find where it says that you can have more than two, did you?
[/quote]

You have to admit Nathan,  that Smoky Yunick would have a field day with this rulebook.

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
But if it doesn't say you cant, then why would anyone think you couldn't?  I think more and more people are getting tired of guys saying how something is illegal, but there is nothing to the effect in the rule book.  With time, comes more and more people with minds, reading between the lines. 

Offline JR529

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
I have 2 rule books here:

2008, Page 42 4.CC.6 SPOILER
"The side spill plates are allowed..."

2012, Page 47 4.CC.8 SPOILER
"a spill plate on each side of the spoiler is allowed"

Between 2008 and 2012 the rule was given a general rewrite to cleanly incorporate the additional rear spoiler types allowed. I do not remember any discussion of limiting the number of vertical plates allowed but the version in the 2012 book does limit it to "a" spill plate on each side meaning one spill plate on each side where the earlier writing did not. I personally don't believe this was intentional.

JL222, If you have not already submitted this, please do so ASAP to make sure this is considered. If it is not submitted it wont be changed.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
I don't know if this will work, but here is a copy of the 2014 rule book which allows two different implementation approaches, one figure 9. and one figure 10. Pages 50 and 51.

Tom G.  

PS. It worked at least on my computer but you need to click on the image twice for the big picture.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:46:54 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
jl222, I agree with your idea to change the rule. It seems it would be especially beneficial for a door slammer like yours running the speeds that your car has run.

That being said I also think that a rule change is the best way to go about it. Gotta be careful with too much, "reading between the lines".
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
You have to admit Nathan,  that Smoky Yunick would have a field day with this rulebook.

And it seems that lots of new guys think they're Smokey Yunick. 

But if it doesn't say you cant, then why would anyone think you couldn't? 

But if it doesn't say you CAN then why would anyone think you COULD?  Your argument is very weak because the inverse statement is equally valid. 

I think more and more people are getting tired of guys saying how something is illegal, but there is nothing to the effect in the rule book.  With time, comes more and more people with minds, reading between the lines. 

You're right.  The more and more new guys that show up that don't know or have any appreciation for how things have been done historically will only go off of the black and white wording in the rule book while the experienced guys will know a bit differently because they have boots-on-ground, ass-in-seat experience.  This is why there's an opportunity to fix what some might find to be wrong or lacking in the rule book every year.  It's not a perfect system, it's not NHRA, it's not NASCAR or anything else.  It IS what it IS.  If there's a problem, an attempt should be made to fix it which is what JL is trying to do and countless others have done in the past.   

Watch out or you might actually get what you want.  The more it's bitch'd about it the more it's going to get fixed and those grey areas that people like to exploit will have a line drawn through them and those who were in the grey will have to see which side of the new line they're on. :wink: :-D 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
Couldn't be any more true Nathan! Being a new guy myself, I've tried Dodge hard to make sure there are no grey areas when it comes to the inspection of my car.

It's a lot easier to make sure everything is up to snuff before I drag my proud new creation hundreds of miles, than try to change what I "thought" was ok out on the salt.

When I get there I'd much rather be racing than trying to modify things with limited time and resources.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:00:11 PM by lsrjunkie »
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »
I am interested in this also.  I am in the process of building a new comp coupe and never considered having the "stabilizers"(cuzz they are not spill plates). When building my roadster I asked and was told no stabilizers so I went a different route.  However I see roadsters with stabilizers,  have they just not been called out on it?  Same thing here have these examples shown just not been called on it yet?  I try to stay within the "spirit" of a class while still taking every opportunity to build a fast car.