Author Topic: Salt Sunglasses  (Read 14278 times)

Offline modelAsteve

Re: Salt Sunglasses
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
I use the "Blue Blockers" sold on the salt. They are the best! Get the ones with the wide sides on them. I get very bad headaches without them. The only way I can find most of the outhouses!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
Along with Dr Freud,  and others, polaroid is good for glare as the reflected light becomes polarized so helps the glare. "blue blockers" (prob a trade name now in general use) are yellow/orange in color, thus taking out the blue light which is not as well focused and contributes to glare and vision distortion. Blue lenses, therefore letting the blue light through, are the worst and shouldn't be used. Relatively speaking, blue light is more energetic than red it is known that damage to the retina (not macular degeneration- different topic) is more likely from blue than other wavelength high intensity light exposure. UV protection to a great extent is marketing hype but: Most UV is absorbed and filtered by the cornea=snow blindness=sun burn of the cornea etc. Some is filtered by the lens and has been shown to add to tendency for cataract formation. Studies on the Chesapeake Bay watermen and others have proved that but the surgery rate in the watermen was not greatly different that the controls on the beach. Different types of cataract contribute to the difference. Little UV gets to the retina and there is no good evidence that UV or even light at all (bit more likely and some suggestion is there) contributes to macular degeneration. However!! If you are going to wear sun glasses for comfort, especially on the salt, beach, skiing etc as most of us do, they should filter UV as the exposure in those settings is high (altitude, reflected doses etc) and your pupil will dilate behind a dark lens letting in considerably more UV than if you don't wear the glasses at all. That is, from a UV (not visible light which is what seems "bright" and for which we wear the sun glasses in first place) standpoint, you are better off without any than with non UV filtering sun glasses. Many clear prescription plastic lenses and all glass (rarely used these days due to weight and other considerations) naturally filter some UV. Besides, squinting in bright light causes wrinkles. My opinion cheap ones work as well as expensive, pay your money take your choice. Support the vendors on the salt. Color of lens other than as noted above is little consequence. More fashion, though a neutral gray does not cause a color perception shift the way colored lenses will. You quickly get used to that.  I found looking at fall foliage really is more spectacular through glare control (Corning glass, orange "blue blocker" type lenses). YMMV :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »
Jacksoni.......thanks for your knowledge, explanation and patience.

After any discussion they generally purchase the ones they think are cool anyhow.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
I usually buy what ever is on the shelf at the first truck stop on the 1200 mile treck to the salt. Don't spend a lot as I will lose them before I
get back home.  :-(

MAX

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
I agree with you Max, I have a pair of readers every where I go now because  I have left them there earlier.

The only thing I have to add to this topic is; If you use Polarized sun glass, make sure you test them with your helmet and visor down. I had a nice pair of sunglasses that I really like a lot, that is until, I was leaving the starting line and put my visor down and every thing went black. The polarized lenses did not work with the visor I had on my helmet, AT ALL, so I had to ditch the glasses at the last secant and make the run without them:( .

Just a thought.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline comet

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
my opometrist person told me that reactolites may not work fully in high temps.
I asked her about wearing them at Bonnevilel Salt Flats, she said "where". So i told her all about it. She didn't really care. Strange lady I thought. But she did tell me that the reaction type glasses would possibly not funstion fully. So I bought a pair of prescription polarised Oakleys. Love those!!!

I also learnt a lesson about glasses and helmets. I bought some for driving/riding. Put my helmet on, put my glasses on and set off on my old vincent. The galsses vibrated for about 2 miles until I pulled over, by now feeling really sick, and took them off. Now when I buy glasses, if I am going to use them with my helmet (which is always) I get the flexible ones. These work pretty good and I can now see where I am going.

:)

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Does anyone have contact info for the sunglass vendor on the salt?
I usually get a new pair each year and barely make them last that long, so I sure would love to replace my current set - now a month overdue!

-The Other Glen (SCTA 966B)
-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
I will say this. Would you race in a $20 helmet? Take care of your eyes with good optics.

Offline comet

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
"I will say this. Would you race in a $20 helmet? Take care of your eyes with good optics. "

Absolutely. Poor quilty glasses can do more damage than no glasses at all.