Author Topic: Salt Sunglasses  (Read 14287 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Salt Sunglasses
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Are there any opinions on what brand or kinds of sunglasses work best on the salt? Polarized or non-polarized? Blu-blockers? Gray, amber, dark tinted? There must be some experts here who have tried them all and found the best ones.

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Salt Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
If you can buy your sunglasses from the vendor that sells them on the salt at SpeedWeek you should do it.  I've heard very good things about those.  I haven't tried them.  I don't know if they're out the for WoS.

I'd say that polarised lenses should do well since they reject/filter light that has been reflected - like that that comes up from the surface of the salt.

I wear regular glasses that have the "transition" lenses -- the ones that darken as the light gets more intense.  I haven't found a need for sunglasses for the four or five years I've been wearing them.  Of course - maybe I've finally burned out my retinas and therefore the intense light at Bville just doesn't bother me any more. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
Polarized will kill the glare on the salt and it makes it easier to read the contour of the course.

I have no idea about the others. I have used polarized since day one.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline edinlr

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
I am not an expert, but I'll throw my opinion into the mix.  I used to wear Nikon sunglasses.  I figured a camera maker would be very qualified to put good coatings on these.  They were great in the sun, much better than the "popular" brands.  I still have one old pair of Nikons but now wear Maui Jim most of the time and even have 2.50 readers on the lower part, which is really nice.  These seem to be nearly as good as the old Nikons.  I honestly have not tried the $20 glasses at the track and have to be skeptical that they can offer shatterproof, polarized glasses for this price.  I also have a pair of Dewalt shatterproof work sunglasses that have the 2.50 readers on the bottom also.  These are not as stylish, but great for outdoor work and are priced fairly cheap and are very durable.  I really like the sunglasses with the built in reading glasses, they are great for using the phone, reading gauges at a glance, or for doing work on the bike outside.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
I wear prescription glasses and ALWAYS delete the polarized option with new lenses. Polarized lenses make reading any LCD or laptop very hard..kinda have to tilt your head to see screen. Any wrap around frame with good lenses will work. Allow for sweat (not touching brows) and try to keep them light. The vendor glasses at the hut near TECH work very well for "off the shelf". 8-)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
I talked to the eye doctor and he said yellow is good for snow and should work as well on salt. He has a chart that show dirrerent colors for different conditions. I used yellow face shields when I was drag racing at night at Lions and OCR,worked great. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »
I buy the clip on blue blocker glasses from the vendor at speed week.

I love them. Even though they do not appear as dark as some other glasses they reduce eye strain much better for me.

The first year I went out there, I used expensive extra dark sun glasses and found they were a big problem.
The moment you stepped into a shaded area or bent over to look into an engine compartment you went blind.
They were so dark in shaded areas you could not see anything useful.
It got to be a real pain taking them off and putting them back on again.

Polarized clip ons helped a bit with the glare, but the best I have found so far is those glasses sold on the salt by the sunbeat vendor at speed week.
The actual lens color is a very dark orange which completely kills blue and UV.

I used to have headaches from eye strain even with dark sunglasses but these have completely eliminated that I can wear them all day with no problems.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »
I wear glasses with a nasty prescription, and have found the big, ugly Solar Shields - yup, the "Grandpa Shades" - to be the trick.  

http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=solar shield fit over sunglasses

They just slip over your glasses, they breath well, and a trick I do is to take a drill, bore holes in the ends of the temples and put a shoestring through them.  If I need to look at something close up, they're hanging around my neck when I need them again.

And you can then hang them from your rear view mirror at night.

Even in a convertible.

With the top down.

In a bad neighborhood.

They're so ugly, nobody's going to steal them.

I'm usually more fashion forward, but it's the bloody slat flats, for pity's sake.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:31:00 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »

I'm usually more fashion forward, but it's the bloody slat flats, for pity's sake.

The only fashionable wear, IMO, on the Salt is a red, blue, or black hat.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
Men in Black! :wink:

Offline ExplodingDinosaurs

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 03:21:32 AM »
I like these things about the 3M safety/sunglasses from Home Depot:
Cheap
Wrap around
Super light
Very thin ear pieces are comfortable under a helmet
safety
One piece so they are thinner and the lenses can't pop out
I find them to be very comfortable

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »
Remember to have one pair of clear lens glasses for reading spark plugs.

You only make that mistake once.   LOL

Doug in Big Ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
being a mountainbiker I am spoiled. I have some Bolle's with script inserts that snap in behind. I ordered them with several lenses, persimmon and red for low light conditions, dark brown for sunny (wear these the most) and dark silver metallic coated. The latter ones are too dark for anywhere but on the salt! It is like looking through normal glasses at home when I am out there. Plus the optics in these types are VERY good. Smith, Oakley,Bolle etc all sell something similar. Pricy but your eyes are worth it.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
I wear the sunglasses you buy on the salt over the top of my prescription sun glasses. No such thing as too dark out there

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
. . . until you try to read the tach on a return run.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records