Author Topic: 2014 Spectators - World of Speed or Cook Shootout?  (Read 7334 times)

Offline bubruins

2014 Spectators - World of Speed or Cook Shootout?
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:32:36 PM »
If you had the chance to go to either 2014 World of Speed or the 2014 Mike Cook Shootout as a spectator, what would you choose and why?

A quick look shows that a lot of the 400-500mph vehicles are planning on Cook's shootout, but there will probably be 100+ vehicles of all kinds at World of Speed.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 2014 Spectators - World of Speed or Cook Shootout?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »
I haven't attended the Shootout, but I know you'll be doing a lot of standing around waiting for vehicles to launch at Cook's.  But they will be the fastest vehicles you've ever seen.

I love WOS - family friendly - relaxed - food vendors - less expensive than Speedweek - and you'll have a chance to see a wide variety of vehicles.

I'm kind of a grass roots guy, and I like the variety of approaches you see at WOS.  But if you want to see the titans, Cook's would be your choice.

Cook's is the pinnacle, but WOS represents the roots of the sport - smarter-than-average folks running their idea of better mousetraps.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
Yep, yep, yep, yep. Yep yep yep. Yep,yep, yep, yep. Yep, yep, yep. MM has it right, The Vincent streamliner will be at the world of speed, if need be we will make the shoot out as well.

DONT YA JUST LOVE IT  :-D        MAX 

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »
Max, I think it's time to switch to decaf.  :-D
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »
I didn't think they allowed spectators at Cooks Shootout but I could be wrong

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:00:16 PM »
Spectators are welcome at the Shootout.  No admission fee, either.  You'll be required to pay attention to Land's End Lynda about how to know when there's a vehicle about to run - so you'll park it in a very safe off-track area.  No moving around of any kind during a run.  If you do you'll likely find Jr. or one of the course stewards moving towards you at a high rate of speed, and once he gets there I promise you'll be asked to stand still - or maybe to leave the salt.

There's no CB radio there, and broadcasting on an FM radio (for your car) probably won't be there, either.  If you've got a police scanner you're welcome to listen in.  Some of the teams use "high band" FM - in the 150-170 MHz or so range, and some of the stuff is on the "UHF" band -- 450 - 470 MHZ.  I'd concentrate on the high band if I were buying a scanner.

Once you're on the salt you'd have a great time watching from the spectator parking area around mid-track.  But please do think about driving down to the freeway end of the course and taking a look around the pits.  Because it's such a small event you'll have plenty of room and time to see all of the stuff that's going on.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
Spectators are allowed at Shootout, but....

they have to sign in at landsend

there are only two places where the spectator can stay.....on the mountain side at the center of the measured mile/kilo is the spectator area.....you can move only away from this spot when the chief timer - James Rice - announce it via CB

the second spot is the pits, you can walk around, but during the time a racer is on his way you have to stay on one the left and right trailer areas - the center line is a no go

To go from landsend to the pits or to the spectator area on the course you have to wait that James open the salt...otherwise you have to stay in the pits or on the course site...

Jon, you overtake me with your note...there is also CB.....James is using both systems...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:23:49 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
Slim, I don't understand your statement about no CB radio there.  :? That's how people are informed that the place is locked down for a run. Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
Wayno, I guess I'll have to teach you about "brain farts".  Sorry -- yes, there is CB radio used there.  Maybe what I was thinking about is that CB radio is not required for spectators to gain attendance.  But it's a grand idea to have one with you.

During the past year I've searched for a workable and affordable FM broadcast band (88 - 108 MHz) transmitter that'd be able to give full coverage of the course and to Land's End.  I can find 'em for big bucks, and the less-expensive ones probably won't work all that well.  The Cook Shootout budget doesn't have much room for a fancy radio setup. :-(  It'd be nice because then Lynda could tell each entering vehicle that "You MUST tune your car radio to XX.Y FM and listen to the course announcements".  Maybe next year?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ole Don

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
Try to make both. If you dont have a CB radio, try to hang out with someone who does. A portable may work for receiving, they need to be good for several miles. One day at the Shootout, we waited in the spectator area for six hours to watch a car drive by in six seconds. It was the Poteet and Main car going 462 MPH. Worth every second of the wait to see and hear that. WOS is very laid back and enjoyable.

Offline ExplodingDinosaurs

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
I like how you can spectate close to the starting line at WoS.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
Mike Cook just announced on their face book page that the shootout will be pushed back to the alternate date Oct 5-10

Mike Cook's Land Speed Shootout
28 minutes ago ยท Edited
Attention: Cook Shootout Postponed
to the pre-planned rain date of October 5-10.

The Cook team conducted an extensive evaluation of salt conditions early this morning and determine that they cannot guarantee a long enough course to conduct the high speed shootout on time. The first mile is fair, 2nd mile is bad, 3 to the 9 is good, 10 questionable and 11, 12 are bad. The weather is holding but the track is poor at the 2 and no good at the far end.

Because so much of the track is good in the middle Cook has decided to throw the current date open as a test & tune for racers who want to run without FIA timing on the shorter course that is still useable. Anyone who wants to run needs to call Mike Cook's cell phone immediately at 951 675-3070. We're taking a limited amount of cars at this point and some of the fast cars are staying on for testing. Among those already requesting to run are Poteet & Main Speed Demon, Ack Attack, the Mariani streamliner, Allan Johnson's Studebaker, RJ Gottleib's Big Red Camaro and others. The test and tune fee is a flat $2500 for a 5-mile course with terminal speed timing. If you still want to come we need to know ASAP.