Author Topic: To cover the front wheels, or to not?  (Read 8747 times)

Offline xxobuick

Re: To cover the front wheels, or to not?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 01:27:04 AM »
I have done quite a bit of testing of velocity stacks on our cylinder head flow bench and see lots of gain with the radiused velocity stacks. I am just not sure exactly how far to push the stack out in front of the nose. I guess the goal is to get the air before it gets directed around the body.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:10 AM »
A good feature on a fender is the ability to easily take it off to knock the salt out of it between runs and before you go home.

Nick Flores

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
Last night Dave and I talked about salt building up under our wheel covers. The piece that covers the tread area is not dissimilar from a motorbike fender. We are planning on including a brush or scraper of some sort, but how much clearance would you guys recommend we have over the tire?  Would half an inch be sufficient? An inch? Two? Our basic idea is to add to the small fairings we've built around the suspension and axle, covering the wheels and fading back into a "tear drop" sort of shape.  I'd post pics but but our cardboard mock up is ugly as sin...

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
Heres what we came up with:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
Last night Dave and I talked about salt building up under our wheel covers. The piece that covers the tread area is not dissimilar from a motorbike fender. We are planning on including a brush or scraper of some sort, but how much clearance would you guys recommend we have over the tire?  Would half an inch be sufficient? An inch? Two? Our basic idea is to add to the small fairings we've built around the suspension and axle, covering the wheels and fading back into a "tear drop" sort of shape.  I'd post pics but but our cardboard mock up is ugly as sin...

The Danny boy streamliner has brushes on the tires, you might check with them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »

In 2013 we were rushed with things but John was able...

... to make us the scoop above in a hurry which was a big help to us.  We didn't get a chance to try and go fast so it didn't hurt us but I wanted to get a radius opening on it and was able...

... to get that done before SW this year and also tapered it out and up some to help a little with air flow past it,

Sum

Quick question regarding air inlets......

Why have a tube sticking out creating drag as opposed to a more flush mount?

Is the car in these pics forced induction or N/A?

I have an idea for my turbo car for something like this: Some flush eliptical holes(not so hung up on the size.... that will create a bit of drag I know) going to a plenum that separates the heated post radiator air flow and engine compartment heat from the turbo air inlet.

The first 2 pics are from a different turbo setup than the last pic. I have a shorter radiator than the one pictured in the last picture whose bottom edge would be more like the depth of the furthest back part of the plenum in the last picture and the bottom of the elliptical holes in the first 2 pics.

My reason for doing this would be to have the coolest, most pressurized air feeding the turbos. I am thinking there would have to be a measurable augmentation to the compressor map at 200, 250-300 MPH.

Any ideas, suggestions, criticisms? Thanks!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »
The air right on the nose will be turbulent & separating. Picking it up ahead of that will get you clean, consistant high velosity air & will also help to sharpen the aerodynamic shape of the front end.
  Sid.

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 12:15:55 AM »
The air right on the nose will be turbulent & separating. Picking it up ahead of that will get you clean, consistant high velosity air & will also help to sharpen the aerodynamic shape of the front end.
  Sid.

I see.

Thank you for the advice!