Author Topic: Front Wheel Drive Roadster?  (Read 22926 times)

Offline BHR301

Front Wheel Drive Roadster?
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
I know that 4-wheel drive roadsters are illegal but is there anything in the rules to keep one from building a front wheel drive roadster?

Bill
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:17:00 AM by BHR301 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Front Wheel Drive Roadster?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
It might hit that "In the Sprit Of" brick wall!!  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline krusty

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »

What about a Miller in Vintage Oval Track?  :evil: :-D

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
There is a front wheel drive roadster running in Modified roadster

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
Can you document one originally manufactured by a  USA company for public purchase and use?  That would make a good start.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline BHR301

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »
Not a project I really want to start right now...but with the success of Black Salt Racing I just was thinking it might be a way to improve the handling of a roadster, better to pull then push..... :cheers:

Bill

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »
Can you document one originally manufactured by a  USA company for public purchase and use?  That would make a good start.

??? Not being a smart azz, but huh? 

I'm unaware of any rear-engine roadsters manufactured by a USA company (between 1923 & 1938 anyway) for public purchase and use, and yet they exist in the LSR world.

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
Carter Lloyd from Mass. ran one a couple of years ago.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 06:52:06 PM »
The first I guess was Jim Culbert's in the late 50s . Lots of scrub radius so it probably wasn't fun to drive .

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:55:54 AM »
I think the large success from copeland has not only been the fwd but the many, many hundreds of pounds of down force the nose of his car makes. I don't see how'd you do that in a roadster. Worth a try if its on your dime.  :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 02:06:39 AM »
It's late and "Shakey" (Neil Young biography) is keeping me up and enthralled, but couldn't a FWD roadster have a "duplicate" of the Black Salt MS FWD nose?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 02:56:05 AM »
A mod roadster maybe but not a regular roadster. The wheels would have to be outside the nose of course and I think the key to copelands down force nose is its sheer size. You could try to put a nose that wide and that big on a mod roadster but it'd be fugly as sin.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
A mod roadster maybe but not a regular roadster. The wheels would have to be outside the nose of course and I think the key to copelands down force nose is its sheer size. You could try to put a nose that wide and that big on a mod roadster but it'd be fugly as sin.

I think if you could pull off a modern version of the Chet Osgood Roadster nose it would work.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
4-barrel.. Those are modified. BHR  said roadsters. I differentiate, streets are streets, modifieds are modifieds and roadsters are gas/fuel hiboys roadsters to me.....guess I'm still back in the 50's......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline tortoise

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
The question was about roadsters, not mod or rear engine mod roadsters. Is it against the rules or not? If it's against the spirit of the rules (a good argument for that could be made), shouldn't that be made explicit?