Author Topic: Joe Locasta  (Read 6922 times)

Offline RichFox

Joe Locasta
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
I ran into Joe at Peninsula Hospital just now. He look great. He and i were just there for tests. Joe is still showing 200mph club colors. Younger people here don't remember the SanChez-Cagel-Kamboor Studebaker. Really fast car in it's day. Joe said I should be happy to be old. He is 85. He just don't know he is really old.

Offline jdincau

Re: Joe Locasta
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:27 PM »
I guess I am old too, I remember it well. Glad to hear Joe is still going strong.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »
  Beachball Sanchez was if not the first, near the first to recognize the 53 Studebaker as the most astounding auto design in production domestic car in American Auto History.
  What he and his partners did with that car became a ongoing metamorphis in streamlining body modifications and powerplants that most of todays Comp Coupe Studebakers still draw from.
  Sadly, Beachball is up with Ray the Rat and many other LSR hero's, so hats off to Joe.
  I sure hope someone can sit down with a tape recorder and prod all of those stories of the 50's, 60's, and later before we lose the history for good.
                                                                                        Many more years to you JOE!
                                                  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  
                                                                            "One Run" Bob

Bob Drury

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »
How fast did their Studebaker go?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
How fast did their Studebaker go?

Fast but not as fast as Neil Thompson.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
I am not going to look it up, but i think it went 231 or so.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
   That would be with a Blown Chizler in it, chopped top and I am going to guess in the Early 60's.  I may be wrong on two out of three.            One Run
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »

Great chop!  From Rod & Custom: "1960 National Speed Trials • Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah" "December 2012 Jewels from the Archive: The super-sleek, louvered Studebaker of Sanchez, Krasne, and Locasta turned out a 220.995-mph run.  Photo by Neal East/Peterson Archive." 

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
As I recall Joe and Gary Cagle were the only drivers of Beach Ball's Study.
Also getting a little older Glen @79, and I am glad to have spent so many years on the salt, ain't done yet. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jdincau

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:16:27 PM »
Locasto guys Locasto
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
Rod & Custom (above) had it as Locasta, but searching for Locasto gets more results:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/1953_studebaker_coupe/ and many more!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Online Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 07:49:33 PM »
Thought so.

On another note -- notice the ventilation in the rear.  Figured that out early.  I guess what looks so swoopy might not be so much.

(The hardtop is the car I've always wanted to build.  With a removable.  Don't think I've got the time or the energy to do it.  But I've got the hemi!)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
  If you look hard at the rear quarter panels you will notice the wheelwell openings were a removable square to get the monsterous Firestones on and off the car.   
  That was the first modification to the car.  I don't have a picture handy but I seem to remember it was a post.
  An interesting note on the 53 Hardtops, the frames were too thin and they would sag at the B pillar (where the door meets the quarter panel) making the doors jam and/or pop open at will. By mid-year Studebaker sent the dealers a shim kit to install and for 54 they went a gauge heavier on the frame.
                                                                                                                                                                         Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44:54 PM »
  OOP's, I hadn't opened Mikes post but it looks like I lucked out and it was a post.  Whew!   One Run......................
Bob Drury

Online Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
They prototyped all the 53's with the 6-cylinder.  Got into production with the V-8 and couldn't put a hood on them.  They'd already stamped 1000s of the lighter lighter gauge frames and then had to shim the shitt out of them to get them to the dealers.

I've considered that while "planning" my '53 (never to happen) and figured the hemi probably weighs as much as a 239 -- but I bet it's close.  I understand the Studey is about the same as an early Olds.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records