Author Topic: Bonneville weather  (Read 33346 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bonneville weather
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
No,clouds don't equate to rain -- but radar does a fairly good job off showing the difference between clouds and rain, doesn't it?  I'm not sure of just how to interpret the radar screens - so I'll be visiting our local NOAA weather station day after tomorrow for their open house.  And then maybe I'll learn better how to read the radar.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
...  I'm not sure of just how to interpret the radar screens ...

Go here...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.7371524&lon=-114.03751019999999&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Wendover%2C%20UT%2C%20USA#.U_Ysa6MxjF-

Then down the screen on the right to "RADAR & SATELLITE IMAGES"

Click on the left one.

Then you have options on the left.  

Rainfall:
  1-Hour Total    Loop
  Storm Total    Loop

Choose one or the other and you will have rainfall "estimated" amounts for the current storm (times for the current storm are at the top of the map).

Of some interest.  The course is over the "d" in Wendover and Floating Mountain (Floating Island) is over the "v".  That gives you an idea where the course is, but most of the water comes from the mountains to the west of the course,

Sum
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:37:17 PM by Sumner »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
I can do that, but what I want to learn is how to meaningfully interpret the various colors of the display correctly so I can get an idea of what's here and what's on the way.  I've managed, over the past few years, to figure out where the various things out at the race course are (Floating Island, the track, etc) - just want to better read the weather radar.  You know -- the pretty color bar on the right side of the display.  It shows colors as related to numbers - but doesn't tell me which color/number means rain, which is fog, and so on.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
On the composite radar image and the base reflectivity radar, the scale on the right is in DBZ, which is a measure of how strong the radar reflection is which is being returned by the cloud.
They also have two different "modes" for weather radar, a so called clear air mode which is very sensitive (can pickup heavy smoke, blowing dust, large swarms of bugs or flocks of birds).

The radar is usually in this mode if you see no echos distant from the radar site and a lot of clutter near the radar.
In the "precip" mode it takes a stronger reflection to show up on the radar plot.

Quick and dirty guide:

As a rule of thumb (as a storm chaser) don't worry much about reflections below 35 dbz, those can be just puffy clouds with no significant rain potential.
35 - 45 dbz you are starting to get some rain potential but mostly light rain
45 -55 dbz potential for strong rain
over 55 dbz probably a strong thunderstorm, 65 dbz storms are big bad thunderstorms that can dump inches of rain, or heavy hail.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/?n=using-radar
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/srh/jetstream/doppler/baserefl.htm

Offline jww36

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »
The best way to determine rainfall is the North American native Indian way. Put a small rock in your palm and hold it out stretched, palm up. If the rock gets wet, it is raining!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
The best way to determine rainfall is the North American native Indian way. Put a small rock in your palm and hold it out stretched, palm up. If the rock gets wet, it is raining!

Unless you are standing too close to the sprinkler.

Forecast showing a 70% chance of rain today and tonight, flow out of the south west at the moment, all precip (trace amounts) occurring north and west of the flats.
Precipitable water in the Wendover area is 0.75 inches which is the maximum amount of water in the atmosphere available for precipitation. This is 1.32x the normal for this time of year.

There is currently a low pressure trough near the flats which will slide southeast followed by a cold front later today.
Today:
Cloudy. A chance of rain showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms late in the morning...then rain showers likely and a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds 10 to 20 mph early in the afternoon...switching to the northwest late in the afternoon. chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Tonight:
Mostly cloudy with rain showers likely and a chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows around 60. chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
I still think your confused , based upon your misguided analysis of SCTA's decision making at SW....The veterans who we're there werent suckers....forecast means nothing compared to boots on the ground

And who do you think I was talking to on Thursday night during the downpour!...it was “boots on the ground”.  And that is also why I sent Scott Andrews an email asking him to make a decision before 3:00pm hotel check-in time.

I’m sorry you are missing my point. All of us are extremely motivated to have an event take place. And with the amount of money involved, it is perfectly logical for SCTA to make a decision with extreme caution. Sometimes reality is slow to take place due to our love of the sport, emotions, and good old bureaucracy. The point I’m making is that hundreds of people have reservations to cancel. The timing of that can save thousands of dollars for individuals. Some are lucky enough to have a 24 cancelation notice. Others with non-refundable reservations are not so lucky. A cancelation made before 3:00pm check-in would save at least 1 days charge and maybe more depending on the hotel. Because of that I asked Scott to try and make a decision before 3:00 with no expectation it would happen. SCTA has thousands of things to consider and their decision is the right thing for them. I only have to worry about myself and did the right thing for me.

I remember when you started this site and I respect all that you have accomplished on the salt. It is clear you consider yourself a veteran. It’s a shame that many times your great experience results in know-it-all, condescending replies. A lot of us have been on the salt before you were born. While we all have big egos we try to hide it from the forum. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
In truth, not that many people (as if there were an actual meet) transversed the salt. 

Really?

Mike

You know how that pic isn't from 2014?  Because the car in the background is on dry salt.  There was no dry salt! 

Funny how crap makes it way around the internet.  I had the same thing forwarded to me from my in-laws of all people and someone at some point had added "omg what was this guy thinking?" to it.  Yes, most racers will drive whatever they're driving through a foot of salt water to go racing. 

And Stan is right... there was practically no one on the salt..
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
....A cancelation made before 3:00pm check-in would save at least 1 days charge and maybe more depending on the hotel. Because of that I asked Scott to try and make a decision before 3:00 with no expectation it would happen...

I hope they never make a decision based on if we might have to pay an extra day's room charge or not.  It would be nice, but if they can't make a decision until say eight at night I'll be good with that and yes we went and did pay for rooms but shit happens and we did get to visit with people that we might not get a chance to see again for a year  :-),

Sumner

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
Don't forget this live camera from above Bonneville.
Normal position is toward Wendover all the way to the right.
Pan way to the left all the gear, the small pole, past the big pole and you can find the bend in the road and the racing surface. As of 2:37 PDT Friday it looks like rain.
http://206.197.88.69/home/homeJ.html
You may have to fight your Java application to see this.
Java>Configure Java>Security>Edit Site List>http://206.197.88.69>add
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
I still think your confused , based upon your misguided analysis of SCTA's decision making at SW....The veterans who we're there werent suckers....forecast means nothing compared to boots on the ground

I remember when you started this site and I respect all that you have accomplished on the salt. It is clear you consider yourself a veteran. It’s a shame that many times your great experience results in know-it-all, condescending replies. A lot of us have been on the salt before you were born. While we all have big egos we try to hide it from the forum. 

G'day Saltfever ....I think you will find it was Joe's brother Jon who should be credited with the formation of this web site ......Joe is Joe and we love him for it  :wink:

shalom  :-)

slower than most

Offline joea

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
Jon started this site...:)..not I...

I actually dont consider myself a veteran...its all relative...

I think caring, passion and reality mixed with sarcasm can be made to feel condescending, saltfever I hope
if you didnt already have the links I provided to the Bonn. Speed Trial FB site and Mike Cook
shootout FB site, that they might be of help in seeing what is happening on the salt

I am also glad SCTA didnt let hotel check in times get in the way of more global
decision making, just as Im glad that USFRA didnt cancel in 2009 when it was a lake, even
though some who had driven 3-4 days turned around at the access road and went home at the
initial site

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:39:15 PM by joea »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
You know how that pic isn't from 2014?  Because the car in the background is on dry salt.  There was no dry salt! 

Yep...

... was 2007 and I remember it well.  It is also part of the reason I haven't been driving the truck and teardrop in the last couple years (along with an engine problem).  I need to work on the truck and teardrop now so that I wouldn't be so embarrassed if someone saw them.  Have the teardrop in the shop now and hopefully the truck next (race car on hold again  :cry:),

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
I see that the BMST is/are proceeding this morning.  They did get some rain out there last night - something like 1/16rd of an inch.  That'd be nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.  Stay tuned for more information and if you hear something -- post it here for all, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Love those photos and it's why I've never kept a truck over 8 years. Unless you do a frame off restoration it's impossible to get the salt damage out especially in a leaf spring car or trailer. That's why trailers break 2/3 years later (u-bolts, hangers, leafs, rear door hinges, etc)'

All the rinsing and sprinkler washing will never get it all out.......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro